SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest global warming scare might make you want to kill yourself
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest global warming scare might make you want to kill yourself Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Given the recent spat of high-profile suicides, they have to blame it on something... Roll Eyes

July 24, 2018

The latest global warming scare might make you want to kill yourself
By Thomas Lifson

Too many "scientists" have too much grant money and too much computer time on their hands, thanks to the tens of billions of dollars in grant money ($32.5 billion from 1989 to 2015, according to the Science and Public Policy Institute) that the federal government has been dispensing for "climate change research." Put together a proposal to find a new scary correlation, and odds are you'll be bringing in the federal cash, to the delight of your university (that gets to appropriate a third or so of the grant for "overhead"). That's why we have hundreds and hundreds of bad things that global warming (or climate change) supposedly will cause.

The San Francisco Chronicle has the latest claim, one that bears the imprimatur of Stanford University.

More people are likely to take their own lives as the planet warms, say researchers at Stanford University and UC Berkeley in a study published Monday that suggests yet another worrisome impact of climate change.

The multidisciplinary research team looked at nearly 1 million suicides in North America and found that hotter temperatures correlate with higher suicide rates. The warming projected through 2050, the group figures, could increase suicide rates by 1.4 percent in the U.S. and 2.3 percent in Mexico over that time, resulting in 21,000 additional deaths in the two nations.

The role of heat, the authors said, may be just as significant as other, more well-known drivers of suicide, like economic hardship, which also pushes rates up, and suicide prevention programs and gun control legislation, which tend to push rates down.

I certainly feel despair when it gets too hot. That's why I moved to coastal California, where it rarely gets into the nineties. But if this holds water, we ought to see that suicide rates pretty closely correlate with average temperatures. A look at suicide rates by country reveals no such relationship. Here are the top 20 countries:

And a map, with darker shades indicating a higher suicide rate, also offers no clustering around the equator.

Given the awkward “pause” in global warming that has been ongoing for the last two decades, and the uncertainty of correlation as causation claims, this sounds like a pretty far-fetched cause for worry.

https://www.americanthinker.co...o_kill_yourself.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24642 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they were talking about this on NPR this morning. I couldn’t believe what I was listening to. Unbelievable.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If this affects libtards first, the problem will eventually correct itself and go away.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^
After the San Fran leftists all commit suicide they will consume less of our fossil fuels...
Win-win!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24642 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leftists should be proactive in this and just get their suicide out of the way now. They’re just wasting resources until then.

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I lived in Lithuania I might consider suicide, regardless of the weather.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The multidisciplinary research team looked at nearly 1 million suicides in North America and found that hotter temperatures correlate with higher suicide rates.

Explains part of the popularity of air conditioning. Wink

"Correlation ≠ Causation" should be drilled into everyone who decides to be a mathematician, scientist, economist and/or engineer from the earliest days of their studies. It would save lots of misplaced angst and intellectual clutter.

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Those wanting power and notoriety will always seize any issue to advance their goals. Such was the cast with cotton in India.

About 10 years ago
“Thousands of Indian farmers commit suicide each year — hundreds of thousands over the past three decades. The claims linking Monsanto, GM seeds and the globalization of the food supply to suicides emerged in the mid 2000s, promoted most aggressively by GMO critic and activist philosopher Vandana Shiva. During the past decade, claims of mass suicides of Indian farmers have been repeated often enough to become almost established fact in mainstream media outlets.”
https://gmo.geneticliteracypro...-suicides-of-indian-
farmers/

At the time Bt cotton seeds was the targeted GMO. Supposedly Monsanto controlled the the seed, increased prices and prevent use of other seeds. Truth was farmers paid 15% more but realized a 50% increase in yield.

The reality was the suicide rate was increasing before GMOs were ever introduced.

“These farmers and their families are among the victims of India’s longstanding agrarian crisis. Economic reforms and the opening of Indian agriculture to the global market over the past two decades have increased costs, while reducing yields and profits for many farmers, to the point of great financial and emotional distress. As a result, smallholder farmers are often trapped in a cycle of debt. During a bad year, money from the sale of the cotton crop might not cover even the initial cost of the inputs, let alone suffice to pay the usurious interest on loans or provide adequate food or necessities for the family. Often the only way out is to take on more loans and buy more inputs, which in turn can lead to even greater debt. Indebtedness is a major and proximate cause of farmer suicides in India. Many farmers, ironically, take their lives by ingesting the very pesticide they went into debt to purchase.”
https://gmo.geneticliteracypro...s-of-indian-farmers/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
So, of all the possible factors influencing suicides, higher heat somehow rose to the top here? It almost seems like there could be a hidden agenda behind this theory....I just wish I knew what it was...

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Then there's the REALLY old shaggy dog from biologists about cause and effect:

A certain researcher was studying frogs and the effect of verbal commands on their mobility. The control frog was told "Jump!" and he promptly jumped off the table. The next frog had one of his back legs surgically (and humanely) removed - some frogs were slightly injured in creating this experiment. On the command "Jump!" he too leaped off the table, but at a slight angle, being one-legged. A third frog had both legs removed, and when commanded to "Jump!," he didn't appear to respond at all. Research conclusion: removing a frog's back legs makes him deaf. I rest my case.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't Death Valley, Imperial Valley, and other parts of the American Southwest be devoid of humans due to the heat? The other great deserts on the planet?

Posts: 5762 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am having a hard time figuring out the downside...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m sitting here at Lagoon Amusement Park at 100° and have no thought whatsoever of kissing my butt goodbye.

Must just be me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The world has too many people already. Save the world, kill yourself.

Whatevs, brah.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Texas we've had several days over 105 degrees. After August I'm expecting much less traffic on the way to work.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post