SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Open carry in Texas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open carry in Texas Login/Join 
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
I saw my first OC in Texas yesterday...

Still have yet to see one a year and two months later.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
First OC I ever saw was back in 2008 when we lived in Wyoming. Old crusty cowboy had come to town (Gillette) to visit the hardware store. He strolled up and down main street visiting several stores with a silver six shooter on his hip in a full cowboy belt setup.

Fast forward several years and we moved back to Texas, then to Springfield, MO. Have seen it probably a dozen times here, mostly at Hy-Vee (grocery store) couple Glocks and a Ruger of some iteration, a dude on a Harley with a 1911 in a belt slide holster, and another old cowboy at a QT in Harrisonville, MO.

As for Texas, have only seen it once while we were back home; it was a group of younger guys going in to a pizza joint. At first I thought they were cops but they were way too casual; looked for a badge but didn't see one on any of them.

With my experiences here in MO I've learned what I already knew, most folks are too busy/not observant enough to even catch it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen quite a bit of Open Carry around the State Capitol grounds here in Austin. I have never seen any issues whatsoever.

I Conceal Carry because many stores and other places don't allow Open Carry.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see OC often here in CO. No one seems to bat an eye, and I am in a large metro area.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw my first OC in Texas yesterday.
GLOCK like pistol, 3:00 OWB carry in KROGER grocery store.
The only alarming aspect was his haircut,
curled Mohawk with Houston Texans Logo shaved in the short side hair.

Hey George. Was this the kroger at cypresswood and treaschwig? I saw my first OC there yesterday while picking up some cream for my coffee Saturday morning.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I too was disappointed I didn't see cowboys wearing six shooters.

I plan on doing this my next visit though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QltlctqfY4E

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Most people here don't suffer from the "look at me" syndrome. Concealed is smarter,....just a fact. I've only seen one myself, in a small store in the country.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen open carry a few times in the Austin area. I was in Rock Springs TX about a month ago and just about every male I saw go into the local grocery was OC. One should note that this is a ranching and hunting community pretty close to the border. We saw a group of 15 illegals that weekend on the ranch where a friend has a hunting lease.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
quote:
I saw my first OC in Texas yesterday.
GLOCK like pistol, 3:00 OWB carry in KROGER grocery store.
The only alarming aspect was his haircut,
curled Mohawk with Houston Texans Logo shaved in the short side hair.

Hey George. Was this the kroger at cypresswood and treaschwig? I saw my first OC there yesterday while picking up some cream for my coffee Saturday morning.

YES!

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I didnt see the haircut all i saw was a glock in a leather holster on a fat guy. Where in spring are you at? Im in postwood.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only seen 5 and one of them was a young woman in her early twenties. The others were all older men in their 60s.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
I didnt see the haircut all i saw was a glock in a leather holster on a fat guy. Where in spring are you at? Im in postwood.

Not a GLOCK. Not Fat. Old town Spring.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2 so far for me.
First was at the HEB by my house, guy with a Kimber in a leather OWB, which is posted 30.07, there were 2 police cars parked out front as I was leaving & I slightly overheard a couple HEB employees mentions 'something something gun' No idea what resulted.
2nd was at WalMart, lady with her family carrying what looked like a S&W Sigma in a cheap-looking OWB.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Last week I was at an office supply store in N Houston and saw this customer at the print counter openly carrying his Springfield XD-S.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That's a stupid way to carry. Could he have forgotten it was there?

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Last week I was at an office supply store in N Houston and saw this customer at the print counter openly carrying his Springfield XD-S.

Oh my!

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's some really good weapon retention right there.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I still have yet to see someone OC in Texas since it passed. The opposition was so afraid of the violence and bloodshed in the streets it would cause just like when concealed carry passed long ago.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Concealed is smarter,

I agree with this, even though I am the open carry state of AZ. Don't let the enemy know what you have. I have a CCW, and always conceal.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
That's some really good weapon retention right there.

That would be an illegal OC. The pistol must be in a holster secured to one's belt or in a shoulder holster. Doesn't appear to be in a holster at all.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post