SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mole repellent?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mole repellent? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So of course after I finished a large landscaping project with mulch and outcropping stone I have noticed the last few days a few “mounds” along the rocks and along the fence. I found some small holes with some shallow tunnels and filled them in. I am really kind of upset because I do not want them to tunnel under my block and have my block settle as it was a ton of work.

As random and unfortunate as this is I have researched some remedies and I have a couple of traps and some ultrasonic stakes to put in the ground. I would put some poison down however I have little kids and a cat that runs around in the yard. I guess I’m just curious whether or not anyone on here has had a mole problem and what they have learned in dealing with it.

Posts: 4646 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
The only thing that works for us are: https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-...m-Bait/dp/B012RGU4EQ Also found at HD, Lowes, etc. Not cheap, but seem to work, and Mrs M-11 doesn't have to see buckets in the yard and know what happens when traps are set off.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
You probably have grubs. Moles feed on them. Get a product called spongy spores. Grubs eat it and die. Moles then move on too your neighbors!

It lasts for 10 years. Not cheap but it works! Ask me how I know......

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2687 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
The only thing that works for us are: https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-...m-Bait/dp/B012RGU4EQ Also found at HD, Lowes, etc. Not cheap, but seem to work, and Mrs M-11 doesn't have to see buckets in the yard and know what happens when traps are set off.

I use Assault mouse/rat poison bait packs - open & pour about 1/3 of a pack in active runs, gets rid of them in a day or 2. It's expensive too, but goes way farther than the worms, which didn't seem as effective (likely because my cheap ass didn't want to put 10 worms out)

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
45acp works

Posts: 10046 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
This year? The only thing I think that would work is carpet bombing. I have tried poison,worms, traps,spikes, you name it. I swear I can hear the little bastards laughing at me.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you have moles it's because you have a food supply for them, grubs are top of the list, so treat the lawn to remove the food source (as was said above) and the moles should leave.

If you have an abundant source of food, no matter how many you trap, more will come to replace them.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
We have voles at my place. I am currently using the gas approach. The Giant Destroyer, lol. I buy them by the case.

Gophers/moles/voles eat worms. Getting rid of all of the earth worms isn't really a viable option.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I have tried many products, about everything available, the only thing that has worked is an outside cat, one that is accustomed to hunting.

Posts: 1593 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
If you have moles it's because you have a food supply for them, grubs are top of the list, so treat the lawn to remove the food source (as was said above) and the moles should leave.

If you have an abundant source of food, no matter how many you trap, more will come to replace them.

This ^^^^^

We live in a semi-rural area. If I don't treat the lawn with GrubEx every couple years or so, the moles come back. Keep the food away, the moles will stay away.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My daughter has a Corgi and she’s not afraid to use him. Last year I had a mole that kept avoiding my traps. The Corgi is a retired nuisance wildlife dog and trained to get moles.

He suddenly alerted, when “Woof!” And polar bear pounced the lawn. Dirt flew and he came up with the mole. Snapped went the neck.

About the only thing I found that works are scissor traps. I find a feeding tunnel (just under the sod) set the trap and cover with a pail. Moles are travelers. You try something and the mole vanishes. You don’t know if it worked. Or the mole is in your neighbors yard.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Tannerite. Lots and lots of it

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good advice here. Perhaps I’ll treat for grubs as well as setting traps. May get those worms too if the sonic detergent sticks are not helpful.

Posts: 4646 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post