SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a Little Yard Project Advice Please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Little Yard Project Advice Please. Login/Join 
Just Hanging Around
posted
In the next few days, I'm going to have some dirt brought in. I have some low spots that I need to take care of. Some of these spots will need several inches of dirt.

Should I get the Roundup out, and kill the grass that's there now, before I add the dirt, or is it OK to to just cover it up?

Thanks.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are you planting the same type of grass over it? Tilling? If so, no need.
The only reason I can see to kill it first is if you're going with a different type of grass. Even then, give it time for the roundup to dissipate or till before planting.
Roundup doesn't claim any residual, but turf grass is finicky enough to grow without adding shit that will kill it into the mix...

Also, I just read 'days' - don't roundup if you plan to seed immediately/shortly.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
No on the tilling, Yes on the same type of grass.

I knew I'd have to wait several days after applying the Roundup, but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't need to. It's a fairly large area. I do have a few patches of Bermuda trying to start, so I'll be giving them a dose.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Be sure and tamp the dirt down with a roller; The kind that you fill up with water to add weight. It will save you the trouble of having to do it twice. Ask how I know. Roll Eyes

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I would till or turn the soil around the edges of the areas being covered so the new grass can integrate into the grass it's butting up to.
I had to do this & it softened the edge line look of new vs established lawn.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Got that covered Jimbo. Thanks

Grumpy, I'll be spreading the dirt with a box blade. I can lower the scarifiers and rough up the ground where the new dirt will feather out. Good idea.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

RoundUp is absorbed by the plant's foliage, and not via the root system. Sunlight helps it get absorbed. It also may take a week or two for the plant to die off. If you do spray it, wait for a period before you fill.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post