SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What should I use my remaining GI Bill for?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should I use my remaining GI Bill for? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Seems like it was just last week that I was asking about how difficult an MBA program would be.

Now I'm 6 classes away from finishing my MBA with a graduation date of May 2019. It hasn't been easy, especially balancing school, family, work and military obligations.

After I finish the MBA, I estimate I'll have around 15-16 months of GI Bill left. Thought about giving it to my wife but we just wouldn't get much value out of it because she would have to start off at the community college level and $70-100/credit hour is something I'd rather pay out of pocket. Even if she went full-time taking 12 credit hours a semester, that would only be $840-1200 a semester. Multiply that by 2 semesters a year and it's $1680-2400 a year for spring and fall semesters. GI Bill maximum payment per academic year (August 1-July 31) is $23,671.94 as of now. It seems to increase each year as tuition increases. The school I'm attending now is a private university where tuition is $1700/credit hour. Even if she were to get into a university, the local university charges $179.19/credit hour or $2150.28 for 12 credit hours. Just wouldn't be taking advantage of the GI Bill, in my opinion, financially.

That leads me to believe I should use the remainder of it. I was thinking about a second masters but in something specialized in the business world such as Human Resources or Leadership & Management. Or I was thinking about using it for graduate certificates in the business world.

I guess the question some of you may have would be "what do you want to do with the degree?" Honestly, I'm not quite sure. My MBA concentration is in consulting. I'm in the process of completing my PMP educational requirements. I'm working in construction management now. Long term I might look at places such as Lockheed Martin or one of the big consulting firms but that's not in my near term thinking.

I want to take advantage of the GI Bill that I have earned. I might want to go into consulting or even be a recruiter (that's where the MHR comes in).

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Big Grin

What does the brain trust say?

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, how times have changed. I used my GI bill when I got out of the Air Force. It paid a flat $17,500. That paid for a full year at Penn State and three more years at a private college, Florida Inst. of Technology where I completed my B.S.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
each individual has different interests, desires and goals.

Any interest in the employment law side of HR?

not sure if that's of interest or even reachable with what you have left.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Damn, how times have changed. I used my GI bill when I got out of the Air Force. It paid a flat $17,500. That paid for a full year at Penn State and three more years at a private college, Florida Inst. of Technology where I completed my B.S.

They definitely have changed. Now with the Yellow Ribbon program, even if tuition goes above the annual cap, the VA and the school will split the difference up to $21,000 additional each academic year. That's how this $75k MBA is being paid for and with me still having GI Bill left over.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
each individual has different interests, desires and goals.

Any interest in the employment law side of HR?

not sure if that's of interest or even reachable with what you have left.

Law doesn't really interest me. Though I have considered that even though I will likely end up short in GI Bill with a 24 month program (it's pro-rated so you don't get "charged" for the time between quarters/semesters), I wouldn't have to come out of pocket too much. That and if my employment situation changes, I might be with a company which offers tuition assistance. Or I simply bank the housing allowance which I was paid for and use that towards paying out of pocket on the back end.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Long time ago, I used mine to add multi-engine airplane to my commercial pilot and flight instructor certificates. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Long time ago, I used mine to add multi-engine airplane to my commercial pilot and flight instructor certificates. Smile

They had airplanes when George Washington was president? Confused