SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    European Car Radio in USA >>>>>>>
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

European Car Radio in USA >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know for a fact if a European Car radio both AM/FM bands will work in the USA ??? I was told that the USA model will not work in Europe but there is a possibility that the European model will work in the USA. Thank you for reading and any info or experience given. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3094 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
40 years ago I bought a second-hand Blaupunkt car radio and installed it in my old VW. I had assumed it was AM/FM. It turned out to be AM with some other band that picked up weather info broadcast from the local airport. I wish I still had that dandy old VW van and the radio.

So I don’t know.

Sorry for the thread drift

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old is the car radio?

Most older European car radios were analog tuning and for export sales which provided no problems for USA users.

I bought a Blaupunkt Derby car radio in 1966 made for VW/Porsche. it worked fine on 6 D batteries, power adapter or in car.

Most German car radios were made for export sales.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would check on the Crutchfield site, they may have some info?

I was always impressed with Euro car radios, I recall sitting in one in Germany in 1992 or 1993 and the song name and station were scrolling on a readout on a screen on the radio. We had nothing like that in the USA and only seem to very lately?

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
They are not compatible. Something to do with the frequencies (I used to know however, cannot remember the exact reason).

However, the Alpine HU I installed into the GTO does have the capability, through the internal settings, to change from North America to European.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
1977 & 1978 I worked on a project in Barcelona.

I ordered a Mercedes 240D, U.S. specifications, with a Blaupunkt radio.

The radio worked just fine in Spain, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Andorra, Switzerland, every place that I traveled in Europe, and continued to work just fine when I returned to the U.S. with the car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Took a bit of digging, but: Why my radio bought from USA does not work well in Europe? (and vice-versa)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
European car makers have offered a discount for customers to come make their purchase at their factory, drive it around a bit, then bring it back to have it shipped home to the States.

I don't recall anybody who took advantage of such a deal, having issues with their radio or, components getting swapped-out.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
They are not compatible. Something to do with the frequencies (I used to know however, cannot remember the exact reason).

However, the Alpine HU I installed into the GTO does have the capability, through the internal settings, to change from North America to European.

European radios have LW/MW/SW/FM settings.

Long wave isn't used in the USA, Medium wave, or Broadcast band, is and so it shortwave. MUCH older FM radios used a shorter FM band.

You should have no problems with an Analog tuning European radio.

However, a Digital tuning radio for European use only will present an issue do to tuning spread between stations. 9kHz (European), vs 10KHZ (USA). Most export radios contain a switch.

BTW, what brand is the radio?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

You should have no problems with an Analog tuning European radio.

However, a Digital tuning radio for European use only will present an issue do to tuning spread between stations. 9kHz (European), vs 10KHZ (USA). Most export radios contain a switch.

This, Exactly.

One other point to add is that if you decide to swap radios, the antenna wire will likely be different. The US connector will be more of a barrel shape and the Euro plug will closely resemble an elongated RCA connector

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I think fm is ok am is a little different. The spacing between channels is different

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me miss Atlantic 252 which I listened to while driving around Wales some 20 years ago.

The link ensigmatic posted nailed it. Freq step differences. The more advanced radios let you program the steps, etc., and of course the old analog tuners didn't have that issue.

As for the pre-emphasis of North America vs EU, 75 and 50 microseconds, I wouldn't worry about it unless you really care about the details of sound reproduction, which I don't care about in a car radio.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post