SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Effective Patio Mosquito Repellents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effective Patio Mosquito Repellents Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
We're under contract on a new house that has a nice back porch/outdoor kitchen area.
Being in Houston, mosquitos (along with heat & humidity) are always an issue.

Coworker mentioned good luck with Thermacell products
https://www.thermacell.com/

Anyone here used these & any feedback on their performance/effectiveness?
Or, have any alternatives, other than the usual Tiki torches & Citronella candles?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15362 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've used them for a number of years with great success. Citronella is worthless IMO.

ETA: To clarify, I've only used the "portable" type like these, and not their other products.

Posts: 20122 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Watching, if you find something that works can you not send them to my part of the city? Razz

I hate them little bastards and need something decent too.
Considered one of those systems that spray all around your house and yard but never pulled the trigger yet.

Posts: 22930 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've used them for a number of years with great success. Citronella is worthless IMO.

ETA: To clarify, I've only used the "portable" type like these, and not their other products.

The coworker that mentioned it specifically mentioned the portable models. He uses them for duck hunting.

They're cheap enough I'll pick up a couple & see how well they work.
We close in mid-June, so I've got some time & will get them direct sent to the new house once we move. The less I have to pack/move, the better.

SM, I'll try to send them toward Lake Conroe, instead of your direction.

Posts: 15362 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Fla and in eastern NC I didn’t find anything that if it was not applied to your clothing or skin, repelled mosquitos.

When Tommy was little we had a little clip on thingy for him so we didn’t have to spray him down and it worked well unless he was moving around a lot. The cloud of bug repellent was easily blown away by the slightest breeze.

OFF makes a no smell product that works. But you still get the feeling it’s on you…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Thermacell works for me in Mpls and camping up North. But usually I'm not a Mosquito Attractor.

Its reasonably priced at Wall Mart.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
i have both the portable and the model for patio tables.

last trip to Chincoteague, where the mosquitos are from the mezoic period, it worked quite well.

i swear by Thermocell.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Thermocell makes life possible in Alaska.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
We have used the portables for years at both the kids' and grandkids' ball games. In this part of VA the mosquitos and gnats will eat you alive if you don't have some protection. We just sit them down beside us on the bleachers or on the arms of our stadium seats and they work great. People beside us were so impressed they went out and bought a bunch for themselves.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Smoke cigars or a pipe?

I've never had one, but people do like the Thermocells.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Can you guys with Thermocell experience in a patio/backyard setting let me know more about the model you are using, how many you use and how often the cartridges need to be replaced.

Thanks!

JC

Posts: 1272 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107674 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Install outdoor ceiling fans or outdoor wall mounted oscillating fan.

If you need to pull the trigger and don't want to toast the neighbors, per Para's recommendation, try Cutter Backyard Bug Control.

Posts: 187 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Like Gustofer, I use the ThermaCell when hunting and they are great. Not sure how much you use your backyard, it might get expensive if you use a lot of their pads. I have friends that have devices that sit on top of propane tanks. Not sure which brand.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Back porch has 4 ceiling fans, so that may be helpful to keep air moving in there.
No pool, yet, so no standing water to attract a ton. But, lots of mature trees.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
Can you guys with Thermocell experience in a patio/backyard setting let me know more about the model you are using, how many you use and how often the cartridges need to be replaced.

Thermacell at Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Therm...-Obsidian/1001461486

I have a similar version of it, and the cartridges are good for an estimated 48 hours of run time. A 120-hour cartridge is offered as well.

A good friend at work does a lot of bowhunting and competes in archery tournaments. He and his pals use the clip-on versions and swear by them.

15' x 15' version

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
This stuff has been fantastic for us.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Thermacells are very effective but I'd get a DynaTrap or two.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid and went fishing, we would get the cheapest cigars we could find. Seemed to work ok.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post