SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In the irony of the millennium, San Francisco mayor seeking federal assistance to curb crime crisis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the irony of the millennium, San Francisco mayor seeking federal assistance to curb crime crisis Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The idea of federal agents putting on blue uniforms will not happen.

Pick a fed agency, any one you want. That agency has spent a great deal of time and money training those employees to be special agents or CBP, for instance. Those agents are not trained to do policing and their agencies do not want to give up highly trained personnel for a local problem. FBI is going to give up counterintelligence agents to deal with drug use, smashed car windows, homelessnes, mental health and sidewalk poop? Not a chance in hell.

You are correct and no one has said it will work that way because it won’t.

It will come (in some places, not all, and in the end be just a gigantic failure and waste of Federal funding/money like most initiatives taken over by the Feds).

It will come by way of substantial increase in funding at the local level which as we all know every penny of Federal funding comes with multiple strings attached. With the money will come new Federal mandates, on training, equipment, policies, procedures, the list goes on and on.

No we are not going to see the creation of some new agency or a transfer or federal employees to these positions, however we are likely to see supervisory positions created in the DOJ to create new training, policy, and procedure, as well as positions to oversee the compliance on the local level.

Again, I am not saying it will happen on a full nationwide scale or be successful or sustainable in any form or fashion.
However it is what many on the left want.
And many of them would love a new agency to be stood up but they too know that will not happen. They do know however at some point their city will become so decimated the Feds will have to step in with more and more funding which comes more and more control.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Federal assistance does not necessarily mean federal officers policing the streets. It could mean pumping taxpayer money into the city coffers for new hires, overtime for surrounding agencies, or task force members to include feds from DEA, etc to combat the drug problem the city fostered, encouraged and ignored until it was so far out of control it was not containable.

Republicans need to fight this tooth and nail and keep tax dollars out of this mess that democRATs created. DemocRATs need to be publicly put in the spot and made to admit openly in national news that their disastrous policies caused this crisis and own it completely. And they need to likewise fight to keep nationalizing a police force nothing more than a dem fever dream.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, more police will do nothing. As long as the DA believes in minimal or no sentencing, the crimes will continue.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Also, more police will do nothing. As long as the DA believes in minimal or no sentencing, the crimes will continue.

BINGO! As an example, wife and I used to visit Seattle regularly. So much so, that our friends used to rib us that we spent more time in Seattle than our hometown of Tacoma. Then came their downfall. When it first started, they flooded the downtown area with police presence. Officers on foot and bikes on damn near every corner, squad cars every few blocks. But guess what, criminals knew they weren't getting prosecuted OR even confronted as police were told "Hands Off." We watched crime after crime, open drug use and dealing, public urination, citizens getting harassed and accosted, robbed etc. but police did nothing. We stopped going at all. Then things got even WORSE. We haven't been back in probably 3 to 4 years. We aren't the only ones, businesses have been leaving in droves. Big names too, Macy's, Starbucks, Columbia, Nike, etc.

I remember telling my wife "Police presence only works IF they are allowed to do their jobs."

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Let San Francisco fester and simmer in the soup they created. I had no hand in it, and I'd rather not see my taxes attempt to fix it, until they vote sanely.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some perspective....this is an ongoing war between the Mayor and the far-Left supervisors in how to deal with the fentynol/drug program in a specific neighborhood. Make no mistake, everybody involved in SF government is a Lefty, it's how Left are they.

London Breed is a not-so-smart, out of her depth mayor with a handful of moderates, facing a large collection of hard-Left, regressive's on the Board of Supervisors and city managers that infest much of city government. While everyone talks about confronting and dealing with the open-air drug areas and criminality, the hard-Lefties refuse to deal with the problem directly. Instead they want to create new programs and not take any punitive action against those who break the law, all while wanting to cut police budget and highlight every single police misstep as a systematic failure of a department. Exacerbating this is the local news who under-reports or, ignores the issue altogether, attempting to paint the issues in varying shades, carrying the water for the far-Left and their message. Police chief is a political shill, refusing to publish booking photos of arrestees while he sloppily tries to appease the far-Left politicos.

Surprisingly, the ABC station has started to change its tune in reporting on the escalating rise in crime and the issues. The DA is new and willing to prosecute, she was elected after the past DA was recalled for not doing any prosecuting, the mess left behind however is overwhelming, while she still cleans-up the assistant DA office.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
serious question..

whatever happened to the Guardian Angels? At one time they kept the peace when the cops couldn't. Did they give it up, and no longer exist? Did it become too dangerous for them?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^They're still around, in fact they've spread to 177 countries. There is a San Francisco chapter, but for some reason you don't often hear about them. Not sure why.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
serious question..

whatever happened to the Guardian Angels? At one time they kept the peace when the cops couldn't. Did they give it up, and no longer exist? Did it become too dangerous for them?

In my opinion the GA's were all show and no go. I met them on several occasions in the jets. Every single time when the sound of gunshots were heard ( which was often), they took off. We would see them going the other way while we were going to the shots fired. But I guess they had good public relations guys.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
London Breed is a moron, almost in the same league as Lightfoot. An idiot. The buck stops at her desk for the current horrible economic state of SF. Defunding police. The riots in 2020. She admits downtown SF will never come back.

A high profile high tech executive was knifed multiple times in downtown SF the other day. These idiots deserve every fucking thing coming their way. The mayor, supervisors, police chief, DA, the voters; they all wanted this.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She are a jeenyus, for sure. And that freakin' name. Roll Eyes
quote:
“You know what? That's OK,” Breed said. “Empty office buildings have fueled dire predictions about economic doom and screaming headlines about the death of downtown.”

Breed recounted how even though the city has struggled to return to its pre-pandemic state, downtown San Francisco was in far worse shape after the 1906 earthquake.

“In 1907, downtown was mostly rubble and ash. That’s considerably worse than today’s shift in how people are working,” she said.

Breed’s remarks come after a recent study revealed that downtown San Francisco has sustained the weakest recovery from the coronavirus pandemic among major United States cities, reaching only 31% of its fall 2019 activity.
Hoo boy. Y'see, Ms. "Breed", back then the area was rebuilt (and in the process, the area was modernized) and the businesses and people came back. I realize when you decided to invoke the recovery after the '06 quake, you were just stumbling around, so it's not going to make any sense, but, really, is that the best you could do?
quote:
She added that the revival plan will also prioritize arts and culture to “bring the streets alive.”
And you anticipate tax revenue from a bunch of mimes and bead-selling hippies? Besides, your streets are already alive; they're crawling with human wreckage 24/7.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
How to destroy a city in 6 easy steps

1. Legacy of liberal control
2. Defund police
3. Refuse to prosecute basic crimes
4. Turn a blind eye to rampant drug abuse
5. Welcome transients to live on your streets and sidewalks.
6. Prosecute law abiding citizens for protecting themselves or their property

Easy peasy....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post