SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In the irony of the millennium, San Francisco mayor seeking federal assistance to curb crime crisis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the irony of the millennium, San Francisco mayor seeking federal assistance to curb crime crisis Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
FOXNEWS.com:San Francisco mayor torched for seeking federal assistance to curb crime crisis: 'You need us to deal with it' sic?

A March letter revealed London Breed asked for federal assistance to mitigate the San Francisco's crime crisis as it battles police staffing shortages

Bailee Hill By Bailee Hill | Fox News

San Francisco Mayor London Breed is taking drastic measures to battle the city's spiraling crime crisis, seeking federal assistance as it continues to endure streets ridden with drugs, violence, and homelessness.

The mayor has ironically been known by her critics as a ‘defund the police’ advocate, but as her police department faces steep staffing hurdles amid the surmounting drug epidemic, she sought federal assistance to relieve the city of its years-long challenges.

"The scale of the problem is beyond our local capacity," she wrote in a partnership plea to U.S. Attorney Ismail Ramsey in a March letter, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

As a result, she has garnered fierce scrutiny from her pro-police critics who have called her out for her pivoting on the issue.

San Francisco Police Officers Association's Lt. Tracy McCray is one of those critics, who called out the San Francisco mayor for "hating" law enforcement while noting that officers are a critical key in curbing the city's issues.

"If you want… to have a police department, you want morale to be good. You want people here to do this job, and unfortunately, yes, you need us to do this job," McCray said during "America's Newsroom" Monday. "Stop hating what you need. Obviously, no one else is going to go and deal with this problem but the police."

"You throw everything on us. So you know what? Stop criticizing us. Stop trying to break us down because… you need us to deal with it," she continued.

FILE - San Francisco Mayor London Breed speaks during a briefing outside City Hall in San Francisco on Dec. 1, 2021. The mayor of San Francisco announced a legal state of emergency Thursday, July 28, 2022, over the growing number of monkeypox cases. The declaration allows officials to mobilize personnel and cut through red tape to get ahead of a public health crisis all too reminiscent of the AIDS epidemic that devastated San Francisco in the 1980s.

Breed's letter placed great emphasis on curbing San Francisco's "open-air drug market" as fentanyl-related overdoses continue to soar.

"We need additional and ongoing support from the Department of Justice to arrest and prosecute drug dealers so residents, families, and workers feel safe in their neighborhoods," she wrote.

ROSAL

That must have hurt to do.

I hope it was agonizing to go hat in hand to the feds. Not even to Newsome, straight to the feds.

I say we bring together a team of Texas Rangers and US Marshals (2 of each ought to be enough), along with a few rope weavers and timber frame carpenters, and send them in with orders to “Fix it.”

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hmm-mm, seems like para has said something about these Dem cities needing to endure this stuff, and more, in order for a change to occur. I don’t think the cake’s done yet.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
That's just awesome.

They chose to shit in their britches and now they don't like the smell. They were told a long time ago this would happen and they did it anyway.

They an stew in their own decisions for as long as necessary.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Seems like just rewards if you ask me. I'm looking for my worlds smallest violin.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no. They don't get to ask for help. They can either completely admit failure and change their policies or they can completely implode leaving a comprehensive void for conservatives to come in and fill it from scratch. Let conservatives rebuild from scratch in the absence of any democratic influence.

Otherwise, the dems can fix their own problems without any external help.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
But she’s asking a Dem administration for help. And Dems never let a good crisis go to waste.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s no irony.

The gubberments forte is creating problems that they can only fix with more and more ‘free’ taxpayer money.

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Typical leftist scums. Screw things up so badly, take no responsibilities and then ask others to clean up their shit.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope it was agonizing to go hat in hand to the feds. Not even to Newsome, straight to the feds

I don’t think it was. I think this is part of many of these cities plan to be honest.
I could wrong but I think many of these folks want some sort of Federal Police to control/be the main jurisdiction in the cities.
These folks want more and more control in Federal hands. In nearly every city what is the largest portion of their budget?? Public Safety, decimate your city so the Feds take control and you have to spend less on it.
I believe there is a large contingent in the country (mainly on the left) that are pushing a lot of this for the creation of some sort of Federal policing for the local level. Why else would you demonize your own law enforcement pretty much daily just to turn to the Feds who at this stage in the game can really do nothing??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t think it was. I think this is part of many of these cities plan to be honest.
I could wrong but I think many of these folks want some sort of Federal Police to control/be the main jurisdiction in the cities.
These folks want more and more control in Federal hands. In nearly every city what is the largest portion of their budget?? Public Safety, decimate your city so the Feds take control and you have to spend less on it.
I believe there is a large contingent in the country (mainly on the left) that are pushing a lot of this for the creation of some sort of Federal policing for the local level.

+1
I think that you are right on the money with this thought.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

These folks want more and more control in Federal hands.

Ding Ding! We have a winner.

There is an active member here who once said that your local sheriff's department could well be replaced by some TSA type of agency who are not accountable to the local population.

Something to keep an eye on.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
The bargain should be: (1) Us will send law enforcement protection but pass a a statute that gives them immunity from civil law suits form the deep-left attorney crowd who sue cops for every person with hurt feelings. (2) install a new DA who is not a progressive democrat, a lawyer who does NOT believe those who commit crimes are victims of their mother.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1556 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
London Breed is taking drastic measures ...seeking federal assistance

Wow! Drastic indeed. Having to go to Uncle Sugar to buy me, bring, me, take me, give me, can't I have, pleasepleaseplease don't make me correct my own evil ways just fix my glitch again AND DO IT NOW!

Seems legit.

Posts: 6395 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
There is an active member here who once said that your local sheriff's department could well be replaced by some TSA type of agency who are not accountable to the local population.
This may be so, but I can't see such a thing being sustained.

Doesn't the Constitution address Federal forces occupying American cities?

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Funny, no one could convince them that reducing the number of cops on the street and preventing them from arresting people for certain crimes would drive crime rates to unseen levels.

Yet.. here we are.

TOLD YOU!!!

Do they think all of those people they indoctrinated to hate local police will welcome the Fed's doing that job with hugs and rainbows?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Doubtful, at least from a sustainability perspective.

To replace, say, 1k cops, you'd need 1k of federal officers of some sort. Where do they come from? If they are already here doing other federal enforcement duties, pulling them off of those agencies, assignments or tasks doesn't solve any problem but just shift resources around. It's not sustainable, much less viable.

There is no real chance the feds will come in with a white cowboy hat since it will leaves gaps in other agencies that will have to be filled. Might as well fund the training and hiring of local police instead.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
YHGTBSM. They make a point of screwing everything up in a city that has always needed first class police services, and now they want Uncah Ho to clean up the mess? I can't wait to see - this time - what happens when federal marshals try to surround and secure the federal building and courthouse there.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Sorry, no. They don't get to ask for help. They can either completely admit failure and change their policies or they can completely implode leaving a comprehensive void for conservatives to come in and fill it from scratch. Let conservatives rebuild from scratch in the absence of any democratic influence.

Otherwise, the dems can fix their own problems without any external help.

That's the first thing that worries me about this. I can't see the current Squatter In Chief forcing the city to solve the problem in a way the city objects to, which means I can't see this just being a cleanup to help the city be able to handle its own policing needs in the future.

The second worry is that this may set one hell of a bad precedent for a federal bailout of California. In this case I wouldn't necessarilly expect massive lump-sum payments or wholesale regulatory/administrative takeovers. Rather it could be a form of death by a thousand cuts, where Uncah Ho agrees to take responsibility for one narrow slice of the state's problems after another until Uncle Sam has quietly become responsible for Sacramento's (and perhaps municipalities' and counties') bad decisions.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
quote:
This may be so, but I can't see such a thing being sustained.

Doesn't the Constitution address Federal forces occupying American cities?

Is much if anything the Federal Government does really sustainable?
Does the Federal Government really adhere to the Constitution, or constantly try to circumvent it? Especially when controlled by the left?

I don’t agree with their thought process or the idea that it will work but that does not mean that is not their intention or it won’t be attempted in certain locals/jurisdictions.

How many are dead set on taking away our guns, yet the Constitution clearly forbids it? Does it stop them from constantly trying new angles and succeeding from time to time?

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
quote:

Doubtful, at least from a sustainability perspective.

To replace, say, 1k cops, you'd need 1k of federal officers of some sort. Where do they come from? If they are already here doing other federal enforcement duties, pulling them off of those agencies, assignments or tasks doesn't solve any problem but just shift resources around. It's not sustainable, much less viable.

Who said the officers that are already in place will be replaced?? Local officers reallocated to employment by the feds.
Sure, some won’t stand for it and walk but the vast majority would not.

And just because most of us that have an understanding of things realize it is not sustainable does not mean the left does not want it or all do many things to make it happen.

Ever heard of Electric vehicles?? Are they really sustainable as our sole source of vehicle? What is currently being pushed and soon to be forced upon us??

————————————————

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The idea of federal agents putting on blue uniforms will not happen.

Pick a fed agency, any one you want. That agency has spent a great deal of time and money training those employees to be special agents or CBP, for instance. Those agents are not trained to do policing and their agencies do not want to give up highly trained personnel for a local problem. FBI is going to give up counterintelligence agents to deal with drug use, smashed car windows, homelessnes, mental health and sidewalk poop? Not a chance in hell.

The SF mayor allocated money for policing prior to George Floyd and she simply can ask that the city council re-allocate the money. That solves a funding problem but recruiting officers takes time and is a long process. Money doesn't solve that problem. She has nothing in the pipeline to bring quality applicants along. She's fucked and she should have known it when she had the defunding hard on. But the real problem is politics.

As you know SF is trying to find money to give $5M to every black resident for reparations. The optics are bad for SF if they can't afford reparations and the mayor asks for more police funds. The Black community will go apeshit seeing this from a Black mayor.

Newsome won't help bc the state is running a deficit and he wants to run for president. Giving money for policing to cities that defunded the police won't sit with the national public.

The SF mayor is royally fucked and she knows it.