SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One wheel, simple to employ chain for traction device on the cheap.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One wheel, simple to employ chain for traction device on the cheap. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Not this but a simple single chain. Same concept.

Years ago a old friend had one he used on his old F250 rwd truck in the snow to get unstuck or needed traction.

Not talking about getting on the snow covered highway to cover miles. Just a device if you find yourself in a situation where you may need some traction for a mile or two or to just get going. Any idea's?

https://www.cabelas.com/conten...S14vmLZIg&set=525654

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19185 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think they would help a good bit, in CERTAIN situations. If the frame is hung up, likely won’t do much.

One would normally need two to have it help, so the other wheel doesn’t spin.

Amazon reviews are O.K., again varied conditions under how one gets stuck. I’ve been stuck a bunch over the years, some of the worst required a front-end loader from a relative. I still have some ‘inverted-V’ tires chains that work well, one needs to put them on before you get stuck.

The best policy remains, AVOID getting stuck in the 1st place, stop short & walk as able.

https://www.amazon.com/Trac-Gr...nstall/dp/B00O5BVMJI

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
In snow country, it is inevitable to need momentary traction without having to get on the ground and put on regular chains if you do not have a 4wd or awd vehicle at that time.

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've seen these before, but never used them. There is also a zip tie version that I've seen.

I've never had occasion for these myself, but I've only been stuck in ice or snow. Sand and/or a burlap sack got me free most of the time.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
For a little more, couldn’t you just get some cable chains- they’re pretty easy to install, I’ve used a pair like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Securit...=2003%3Ahonda%3Apilo

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chains or no chains, be sure you are practiced in putting them on correctly.
Otherwise, the back end of your ride will have a nice can opener appearance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://www.maxtrax.com.au/

That will get you out and back on the road.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Buses use these, I’ve seen videos of it in use and it seems effective

https://www.westernbus.com/acc...utomatic-tire-chains

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If it's just for a momentary bit of traction, a couple scoops of kitty litter should get you out of a bind. If you have open differentials you'll need to make sure you have traction on both wheels on that axel.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
For a little more, couldn’t you just get some cable chains- they’re pretty easy to install, I’ve used a pair like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Securit...=2003%3Ahonda%3Apilo

Full tire chains are great, if you can get to the full tire. When the wheel is buried, it's too dangerous to try and 'spin' chains on and under it, so that's why there is the single-chain option.
No, it's not ideal, but often times is the only chance.

RNchooter mentioned a recovery board. I've used my floor mat to similar effect in snow, which led me to the burlap sack method. Those work on ice or a snowbank, but the board is better for deep soft sand or slop mud by far.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I used to carry two cinder blocks in the trunk during the winter. If stuck I’d smash them together and scatter the chucks where needed. Only needed to do it twice as I recall. Cheaper than ruining a floor mat and it worked better.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I bought some purple traction mat's from costco several years ago iirc and have never used. But am driving my vans more these days and they are rwd. I will check clearance and if good I will order one from cabela's I guess. Either that or make one. It will be a more usable solution than the mat.