SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum Golfers - rules changes proposed
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum Golfers - rules changes proposed Login/Join 
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume you mean not just drop, but return to the spot where the ball was struck to drop, right? Stroke AND distance, right?

Yeah, unless it is red stakes, enjoy that walk back to think about your shot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I really like the 3 minute rule for a lost ball search.

Jim

This one is gonna burn some hairs Wink I always make a point of helping partners and opponents alike find their balls. It certainly speeds pace of play, but some people just take too damn long before they decide that they need a drop Wink

I assume you mean not just drop, but return to the spot where the ball was struck to drop, right? Stroke AND distance, right?

This is one that bedevils recreational golfers. They are the most likely to lose balls because their shots are more often wayward, and of course they don't have marshalls, fans, and forecaddies looking for them. Most, of course, ignore the rule, drop where they are looking and go. Wrong, but that's what they do, and it speeds up play. New rules allow 3 minutes to look for the ball but shaving 2 minutes off the search is nothing compared to the time to walk the potential 200-250 yards back to where the ball was struck, 40 seconds to strike the ball then the time to walk to where the third shot lies.

I don't like this one:

New rule: relief from a red penalty area on the opposite side from where the ball last entered that penalty area, unless the Committee adopts a Local Rule allowing it.

My course is very difficult with water on 12 holes, 8 of them with water on 2 sides, and the drainage is such that the drops near the waters edge are very penal. For this reason, every hazard on the course is red stake which currently offer 4 types of relief instead of 2. Truth is going to the opposite bank isn't used often because, A, it is impractical, and, B, few people even know of or think about about this option. Here, it can be an important one, I don't want to lose it. Local rule would retain this, I guess, but ours isn't the only course where this could really make a difference.

Recreational golfers should be a lot more willing to play a provisional, should the first ball turn out to be lost. Because, unless it is a fairly serious tournament, they almost never go back for the stroke and distance penalty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only breezed over the first few, but like what I am seeing so far. Like some others I have reservations about the spike mark repair, as being open to abuse and actually slowing play.

I could write an epistle on stroke and distance. As a fairly consistent 15, there are times when it helps me--the provisional is longer by virtue of being straighter than the one I yanked into the blackberry thicket or OB. But there are times you don't hit a provisional when you genuinely think you are in bounds or findable only to discover you are not. It would expedite play to take a stroke and drop at last crossing-which if I'm not in a tournament, I do anyway--but would be nice to be in compliance with the rules.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbuck47:
It would expedite play to take a stroke and drop at last crossing-which if I'm not in a tournament, I do anyway--but would be nice to be in compliance with the rules.

It would match what most casual golfers do in a "fun" round, but that would be a big change to a fundamental rule. I am not for it. If you allow a drop with a penalty stroke, many lost balls would end up eminently playable and with a good look at the green. And if a ball is lost, it could be hard to know where to take the drop in some cases. With stroke and distance, you risk hitting the same bad shot again, or making some other error. Golf should stick with stroke and distance for a lost ball or OB.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by dbuck47:
It would expedite play to take a stroke and drop at last crossing-which if I'm not in a tournament, I do anyway--but would be nice to be in compliance with the rules.

It would match what most casual golfers do in a "fun" round, but that would be a big change to a fundamental rule. I am not for it. If you allow a drop with a penalty stroke, many lost balls would end up eminently playable and with a good look at the green. And if a ball is lost, it could be hard to know where to take the drop in some cases. With stroke and distance, you risk hitting the same bad shot again, or making some other error. Golf should stick with stroke and distance for a lost ball or OB.

I don't know, how many times have you hit two bad shots in a row? Do over guy is a helluva golfer. Wink Rarely have I seen someone win a hole after hitting one OB.

My groups play the rules. If there aren't red stakes, you need to hit again from the original spot. This rule doesn't bother me at all. There are plenty of ways to speed up the game without making these changes. When I first started I routinely shot in the 100 to 110 range but still finished in 4 hrs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I really like the 3 minute rule for a lost ball search.

Jim

This one is gonna burn some hairs Wink I always make a point of helping partners and opponents alike find their balls. It certainly speeds pace of play, but some people just take too damn long before they decide that they need a drop Wink

This is one that bedevils recreational golfers. They are the most likely to lose balls because their shots are more often wayward, and of course they don't have marshalls, fans, and forecaddies looking for them. Most, of course, ignore the rule, drop where they are looking and go. Wrong, but that's what they do, and it speeds up play. New rules allow 3 minutes to look for the ball but shaving 2 minutes off the search is nothing compared to the time to walk the potential 200-250 yards back to where the ball was struck, 40 seconds to strike the ball then the time to walk to where the third shot lies.

I don't like this one:

New rule: relief from a red penalty area on the opposite side from where the ball last entered that penalty area, unless the Committee adopts a Local Rule allowing it.

My course is very difficult with water on 12 holes, 8 of them with water on 2 sides, and the drainage is such that the drops near the waters edge are very penal. For this reason, every hazard on the course is red stake which currently offer 4 types of relief instead of 2. Truth is going to the opposite bank isn't used often because, A, it is impractical, and, B, few people even know of or think about about this option. Here, it can be an important one, I don't want to lose it. Local rule would retain this, I guess, but ours isn't the only course where this could really make a difference.

Recreational golfers should be a lot more willing to play a provisional, should the first ball turn out to be lost. Because, unless it is a fairly serious tournament, they almost never go back for the stroke and distance penalty.

Yes. This. I see a lot more provisionals being hit now.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Sometimes balls just disappear for no good reason. It just isn't where it should be, or worse, where you saw it land. Our rough is bermuda, and when they let it grow 4" come tournament time or when we get too much rain to mow, it's easy to lose balls a yard or two off the fairway. They drop to the bottom and you have to walk on it to find it. You have the expectation of finding it, you just don't. I had round last year where I lost 3 balls this way in a single round. Balls that were never close to a hazard are just gone. When conditions are like this, pace of play slows to a crawl sometimes adding half an hour to a round or more, worse in the tournaments themselves.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
IMO the spike mark one shouldn't even be needed. Why amateur duffers feel the need to wear spikes is beyond me. Although, admittedly, I bought a pair when I first started way back when too. But, the bottom line is, they make no appreciable difference in your game and are a waste of money to do nothing but tear up the greens.

My best round was par, my best handicap was 6, and I shot an 82 from the blues at Pebble Beach (yes, I'm proud of that)...all in sneakers.

Aside from that editorial, I have no problem with the changes. They should, however, ban anything more than a foursome, or at least allow those behind to shoot the offenders.

I don't play much if at all these days due to orthopedic injuries, but I still love the game. Some years back I played every day. I lived on the second hole of the muni course in Albany, NY and me and my golden would go out every evening and play 2 through 1 (9 holes). We were always the only ones out there and it was incredibly therapeutic. Just a nice, easy, at my own pace, half round. One of the few good memories of my time in NY.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
My best round was par, my best handicap was 6, and I shot an 82 from the blues at Pebble Beach (yes, I'm proud of that)...all in sneakers.

Congrats, those are some damn good numbers. I think you might be the exception instead of the rule. I play much better with some traction than I do in sneakers.

Btw, I may get to play Pebble this year for the first time. Pretty excited about the prospect.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I think the key for amateurs is to not try to crush it like the pros. You/we are never going to be that good or have that distance consistently enough to depend on it, so why try? When I finally made that realization my game improved. Can I hit a 4 iron 210? Yep, but most times it won't go where I want it to. So, when I found myself at that range I swallowed my pride and hit wedge wedge. Much more consistent and much lower scores.

With the right swing, and not trying to crush every ball, there's really no need for the extra traction provided by spikes...at least for the average golfer. Of course that's just my opinion.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I think the key for amateurs is to not try to crush it like the pros. You/we are never going to be that good or have that distance consistently enough to depend on it, so why try? When I finally made that realization my game improved. Can I hit a 4 iron 210? Yep, but most times it won't go where I want it to. So, when I found myself at that range I swallowed my pride and hit wedge wedge. Much more consistent and much lower scores.

With the right swing, and not trying to crush every ball, there's really no need for the extra traction provided by spikes...at least for the average golfer. Of course that's just my opinion.

The only time I wear spikes (and they are only soft spikes anyway) is if there was a recent rain and it is really soupy.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're right regarding spikes for amateurs for the most part but there are times when the tee boxes are damp that they may help.

I dropped a lot of strokes off my scores once I stopped trying to kill the ball and only practiced my short game, 100 yards in instead of hitting a bucket off of the tees. I also replaced my 3 and 4 irons and added wedges and a 7 wood. It made all the difference in the world. Now if I could just avoid those damn 3 putts!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO the spike mark one shouldn't even be needed. Why amateur duffers feel the need to wear spikes is beyond me.

I think that one was geared mainly for the pros. Many of them still wear steel spikes and with the green speeds they play on, it makes it a big deal. They still have time limits so hopefully the PGA will actually ENFORCE the time limits.
I wear softspikes because I use plenty of ground pressure to swing and I hate when my feet slip. I'm not trying to "crush it like the pros" but I do want all of what I know I can get out of my under-exercised, overfed body. (I *think* part of that rule is also being able to repair damage other than ball marks.)

Slow players are just freaking slow. Whether it's not playing ready golf, needing 17 practice swings, walking like the batteries are low, or just slow to pull the trigger once over the ball. There isn't a rule change I see that will speed them up to any large extent because they are in a world where pace of play doesn't register.
Getting the marshal to warn them and then move them into position if needed is the only thing that works. Since there are well over a hundred courses in the greater Phx area where you can spend your money, courses are very reluctant to tick someone off by doing this.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post