SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    APA Labels 'Traditional Masculinity' as 'Harmful'
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

APA Labels 'Traditional Masculinity' as 'Harmful' Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted
I searched but didn’t find this so I’m hoping it’s not a jib jab.

The societal war on men by those from the far left is continuing courtesy of the American Psychological Association.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...-as-harmful-n2538637

American Psychological Association Labels 'Traditional Masculinity' as 'Harmful'

By Brianna Heldt, 1/7/19

According to the American Psychological Association (APA), being a traditional man is now considered on par with a mental disorder.

For the first time ever, the APA has issued a set of guidelines for how to approach men and boys, specifically, within a counseling practice. The new APA protocols for mental health professionals working with men and boys--released in August and available to read in their entirety in a document titled APA Guidelines for the Psychological Practice with Boys and Men--were recently summed up on the APA’s website by the statement that “research finds that traditional masculinity is, on the whole, harmful.”

“The main thrust of the subsequent research is that traditional masculinity—marked by stoicism, competitiveness, dominance and aggression—is, on the whole, harmful,” the January article from the APA goes on to read. “Men socialized in this way are less likely to engage in healthy behaviors.”

Progressive beliefs about a number of hot-button social justice and political issues such as sexism, patriarchy, and male privilege seem to be behind the new guidelines. More specifically, modern conceptions of gender appear to be driving the organization’s updated approach to men.

“What is gender in the 2010s?” asked Ryon McDermott, PhD, a psychologist at the University of South Alabama. McDermott helped write the new men’s guidelines. “It’s no longer just this male-female binary.”

According to McDermott, boys and men identifying as gay, bisexual or transgender face higher-than-¬average levels of hostility and pressure to conform to masculine norms.

This particular area of psychology features prominently in the APA’s recommendations for working with men and boys.

“Gender and sexual minorities, too”, reads the article, “must grapple with societal views of masculinity. This is an ever-shifting territory. When Levant and Rabinowitz launched the guideline-drafting process in 2005, only Massachusetts recognized same-sex marriage. Today, transgender issues are at the forefront of the cultural conversation, and there is increased awareness of the diversity of gender identity.”

The APA believes that “psychologists have a key role to play, as the new guidelines lay out.”

Those guidelines include the need for clinicians to be aware of what the APA refers to as “dominant masculine ideals”, and to “understand how power, privilege and sexism work both by conferring benefits to men and by trapping them in narrow roles.”

Mental health workers are also directed to fight “against homophobia, transphobia, racial bias and other types of discrimination in institutions such as the criminal justice system.”

McDermott believes that ultimately, the clinician’s role “can be to encourage men to discard the harmful ideologies of traditional masculinity.”

If psychologists can focus on supporting men in breaking free of masculinity roles that don’t help them, the effects could spread beyond just mental health for men, McDermott says. “If we can change men,” he stated, “we can change the world.”

But American Conservative writer Rod Dreher is questioning the intent of the APA guidelines, arguing in a blogpost Monday that the move is “mostly about psychologizing the gelding of American males.”

“I do not trust Ryon McDermott, PhD,” writes Dreher, “to decide what is and is not healthy masculinity.”

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago the APA came to represent the ideas and agendas of ACADEMIC PSYCHOLOGISTS. These are the people who teach in Universities and do research. The organization became political and pushed many issues not popular with those psychologists who are in private practice and see patients for a living.

As a result of advocating for such ridiculous ideas as noted above, the organization has lost many psychologist members.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BWAHAHHAA - what a bunch of pussies.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^That kind of attitude is part of the problem, Robert! Wink Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38693 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Single mom homes with boys should be doing great then. This guy should look deep into any inner city and show us all the success that comes with no toxic masculinity around.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
One of the few professions where you can simply take a wild guess at a diagnosis and when totally wrong (many times with disastrous results) not be held accountable.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Yeah let’s destroy masculinity in the west and see how long it takes China and Russia to roll right the fuck over the entire world. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
^^^That kind of attitude is part of the problem, Robert! Wink Big Grin

Oh forgive me Big Grin Big Grin

Think I'll go lift some weights and eat a porterhouse afterward.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So much B.S....

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So am I now part of a protected class? See, it's how I was raised so I can't escape it or from it. It's not my fault. I can't help it and it shouldn't be held against me. I might need a safe space where I can engage in traditional masculinity. Don't try to change me, conversion therapy is wrong. You can't alter who I am. You must accept me!

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
So when the next Obama takes the Oval Office and has a Democrat Senate and Congress, mass gun confiscation will be attempted on the grounds of mental instability.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
So what would be the feminazi equivalent?

Toxic Cuntness perhaps.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17464 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I grew up in an era when a young woman took care to not let her bra straps show.

What does our APA label those women who wear gynecological head gear to express their political opinions?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the APA. Nothing screams psychological health like a trans-gender adolescent. All that healthy introspection and self discovery!

They have the nerve to use the terms "homophobia" and "trans phobia"!? Have those quack pop-psychology terms made it into the DSM?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Where is that f*ckin' meteor?

No more man cards guys, sorry! Roll Eyes

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Anyone that tried to inject this stupidity into a conversation with me would quickly be accused of being mentally ill and a retard. In that order. The reaction would be priceless...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Yeah let’s destroy masculinity in the west and see how long it takes China and Russia to roll right the fuck over the entire world. Roll Eyes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This X 1,000,000
They have no world concept. None.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the few professions where you can simply take a wild guess at a diagnosis and when totally wrong (many times with disastrous results) not be held accountable.

Ahh, like meteorologists... Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
So when the next Obama takes the Oval Office and has a Democrat Senate and Congress, mass gun confiscation will be attempted on the grounds of mental instability.

Bring it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post