SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Black bear kills teen runner during trail race near Anchorage
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black bear kills teen runner during trail race near Anchorage Login/Join 
posted
https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...eing-chased-by-bear/

A 16-year-old runner in a Bird Ridge mountain race was killed by a black bear he apparently encountered while descending the trail Sunday, Alaska State Troopers and the race director said.

A Chugach State Park ranger shot the bear in the face, but it ran away. Rangers and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game were still looking for the animal Sunday night on the slopeduring overlooking Turnagain Arm southeast of Anchorage.

The teenager, who has not been identified, was a participant in the juniors division of the Robert Spurr Memorial Hill Climb, said race director Brad Precosky. The close-knit Alaska mountain running community is in shock at the fatal mauling, he said.

"This is the worst thing that could happen," he said.

The popular mountain race is in its 29th year. The steep course takes adult runners up Bird Ridge, a familiar mountain that looms over the Seward Highway at about Mile 100.

Racers descend at their leisure. Juniors race to the halfway point, about 1.5 miles from the start, before heading down.

The runner had apparently made it to the halfway point turnaround and was on his way down when he used his phone to text a family member at 12:37 p.m. that he was being chased by a bear, Precosky said. The family member approached Precosky, who was then in the middle of handing out awards.

"I went off and talked to him about it, trying to get a straight story," Precosky said. "He was very shaken and had received this communication."

A search was launched immediately, Precosky said. The family member had GPS coordinates from the missing runner's phone that helped guide searchers to the area where his phone was. But the searchers, including runners that were part of the race, couldn't get closer.

"The bear was remaining in the area where the young man was laying," said Tom Crockett, a park ranger with Chugach State Park.

The runner was found about a mile from the trailhead about 500 yards off the trail in steep, heavily wooded terrain at about a 30-degree slope, Crockett said. It was not clear how the runner got off the trail, or if he had been chased by the bear to the spot.

A park ranger shot the bear in the face, Crockett said.

"It did definitely take a slug strike to the face when the ranger fired on it," Crockett said. "We know he struck it."

The black bear, estimated to be about 250 pounds, was alone, Crockett said. Rangers don't know why it attacked the runner. They are trying to locate and kill the wounded animal.

Crockett said bear encounters are not common on Bird Ridge. He hadn't heard any reports of bear sightings in the area during the previous week.

Pararescuers with the Alaska Air National Guard used a helicopter hoist to take the boy's body away from the scene, said Sgt. Nathan Mitchell with the Anchorage Police Department.

"This young man didn't do anything wrong. He was just in the wrong place," Crockett said. "You can't predict which bear is going to be predatory."

The Bird Ridge trailhead and parking lot will be closed until the bear is located, Crockett said.

Posts: 13069 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

...he used his phone to text a family member at 12:37 p.m. that he was being chased by a bear, Precosky said...

Wait...wut?

(Self if ever caught in that situation: "Text or run like hell...text or run like hell...")

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing coincidence, I'm in Anchorage wrapping a 3.5 week vacation. I went jogging here, Seward, Fairbanks, and Denali Park (not deep in the park, on a trail starting in the hotel area). Never saw a bear or moose while running, just rabbits and squirrels. And that pesky seagull who strafed me multiple times in a commercial up area south of downtown Anchorage.

This incident took place in a very rural area about 25 or so miles south of Anchorage on the Seward Highway. We drove by it going to/from the Kenai Peninsula but I don't specifically remember it.

Posts: 16003 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

...he used his phone to text a family member at 12:37 p.m. that he was being chased by a bear, Precosky said...

Wait...wut?

(Self if ever caught in that situation: "Text or run like hell...text or run like hell...")

No shit.

Posts: 20564 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And we are NOT diminished, the herd has been thinned.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I lived in Anchorage '09-'14, and fished on Bird Creek several times.

The trail between Bird Creek and Anchorage had two brown bear incidents in my time there:
  • hiker treed and called 911 from tree
  • hiker charged, emptied ak-74 (not a typo) into it, and killed the bear. Had to close the trail because too rugged, and worried more bear would eat the carcus.

Black bear outnumber brown bear near Anchorage around 6:1.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23656 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    Looks like he did not tread well.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of wrightd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by darthfuster:
    Looks like he did not tread well.

Sheesh.

Lover of the US Constitution
    Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    10mm is The
    Boom of Doom
    Picture of Fenris
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alpine79830:

WTF?

Seriously, what the fuck are you saying?

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'm in New Hampshire visiting friends and asked if it's safe to go jogging since moose and black bear occasionally wander through their yard. I was told sure go ahead and run black bears won't bother you. So I run two miles, get back to the house, access the Internet and find out someone was mauled /killed by a black bear in Alaska. Needless to say I'm not running around here anymore

Posts: 1713 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stop Talking, Start Doing
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Please leave. Get out!

Posts: 5083 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No Compromise
    posted Hide Post
    Just take your car keys and hold them in your fist as a weapon. Or you can ward off predatory bears with little bells on your shoe lasses. Of course if that doesn't work, you can spray a tiny can of pepper spray at them.

And remember the chance of being attacked by bears is so remote, it's almost impossible. And moose just love it when you approach and pet them behind the ears.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Joy Maker
    Picture of airsoft guy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by newtoSig765:
    quote:

Wait...wut?

I dunno what cell coverage is like there, but a lot of times when you can't get a signal for a call, you can get a text out. Plus, with smart phones, texting isn't farting around with your thumbs on a tiny keyboard anymore, it can be voice activated. Homeslice could have been running and "texting" at the same time, trying to get help, but as the park ranger said, "shit happens." Well, that's essentially what he said.

quote:
    Originally posted by Will938:
    If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Doin' what I can
    with what I got
    Picture of Rob Decker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Excuse me, sir, but what the fuck is wrong with you?

----------------------------------------
    Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bushpilot
    posted Hide Post
    What Rob Decker said. I don't think you are suitable to be member of this fine board. Maybe you need to have a conversation with Para up close and personal.

That young man was living life and not sitting on a couch playing video or wasted on dope. What a shame, prayers sent to his family.

****************************************************W5SCM
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Administrator
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Please explain yourself...because I don't like what I'm seeing.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    Black bear attacks that result in death are very rare. He must have somehow surprised the bear much like the ranger last year in Montana while mountain biking.

We have a good population of them here and I see them quite frequently near the house. They are curious and like to rummage. Not unusual at all to have them come right up on the deck and look in the house. Cat or dog food left outside or bird feeders will bring them calling for sure.

Usually at the first noise or movement they are high tailing it back for the tree line.

But surprise them and you will be in a fight you didn't want.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    It is very unfortunate that the young man lost his life. But, when civilization runs smack into the wild, crap can, and will, happen.

Q

Posts: 27513 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    Another black bear attack the same day. Bears 2 Humans 0

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eye on the
    Silver Lining
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
    Black bear attacks that result in death are very rare. He must have somehow surprised the bear much like the ranger last year in Montana while mountain biking.

We have a good population of them here and I see them quite frequently near the house. They are curious and like to rummage. Not unusual at all to have them come right up on the deck and look in the house. Cat or dog food left outside or bird feeders will bring them calling for sure.

Usually at the first noise or movement they are high tailing it back for the tree line.

But surprise them and you will be in a fight you didn't want.

How unbelievably sad, and extremely surprising.

Like lastmanstanding, we always have bears around, and I've never been in fear for my life unless I saw a cub, then I'd just get to safety as quick as possible. I've gotten the heck out of the way, regardless, and pulled feeders, etc, because we consider them more of a nuisance than a danger, to be honest.

Only once do I remember surprising one in my backyard "orchard" late at night, and we ran like the wind to get back to the house- I'm pretty sure it ran the other way, because we never really saw anything except something blacker than dark moving, we just heard it crashing through trees.

I'm a little shocked because this aggression really has never been our experience with black bear. When we go out to camp on the islands of Superior, the rangers will warn us about any problem bears, but again, they will simply close an island if the bears are problematic, and tourists/campers aren't getting the "don't feed" rule or if bears have become comfortable with people. Occasionally they'll trap and move, but we all know that's kind of silly. The general rule is simply stay out of their way, and they do the same. Heck. This is heartbreaking.

ETA: is it possible that these could be a hybrid with a brown? Do bear crossbreed? I understand those to be far more dangerous, and I have no real experience with them.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post