SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beef. It's what's for Dinner - Sous Vide Style
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beef. It's what's for Dinner - Sous Vide Style Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I tried the mashed potatoes last weekend. 185F for 2 hours, with the butter, cream and cream cheese. Lordy it was rich!

I couldn’t get a satisfactory mash in the bag. Maybe impatience or something. I ended up using a regular beater.

I’m not sure the extra effort is worth the result.

I made the exact same recipe by boiling the potatoes and using a mixer instead of sous viding them. I actually liked it better made the traditional way. Unique and interesting texture doing with sous vide, but I prefer it better the old fashioned way. Either way solid list of ingredients.

PS "If you don't want garlic, don't put".

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
I tried the mashed potatoes last weekend. 185F for 2 hours, with the butter, cream and cream cheese. Lordy it was rich!

I couldn’t get a satisfactory mash in the bag. Maybe impatience or something. I ended up using a regular beater.

I made the exact same recipe by boiling the potatoes and using a mixer instead of sous viding them. I actually liked it better made the traditional way. Unique and interesting texture doing with sous vide, but I prefer it better the old fashioned way. Either way solid list of ingredients.

Moreover, I have only one sous vide device, so I need that for the steak, or roast or salmon, or chicken, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Moreover, I have only one sous vide device, so I need that for the steak, or roast or salmon, or chicken, etc.

As long as you are making a meat that doesn't require a silly amount of time to cook you just turn down machine to meat temp and leave the bag in there with the meat to stay warm.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

As long as you are making a meat that doesn't require a silly amount of time to cook you just turn down machine to meat temp and leave the bag in there with the meat to stay warm.

I don’t have enough room in the pot. I’m using an ordinary large pot like you might use for spaghetti or stews or something.

I like baked potatoes well enough that baking ‘em, then scooping them out and mashing is attractive.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Going to try that on Sunday.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post