SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Edit: Dual-sport/adventure bikes? Bought a Yamaha! ??? on pg. 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edit: Dual-sport/adventure bikes? Bought a Yamaha! ??? on pg. 2 Login/Join 
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted
The front runners are the Yamaha WR250R, Honda CRF250L, and KTM 390 Adventure for the occasional work commute and exploring the desert. I don't want to trailer the bike or load it in my pickup. No plans to take it across the country loaded with a 100 pounds of gear and looking to stay under $7K.

I have about 15K miles on various bikes (400 enduro eons ago, Vespa 150, and Harley sportster) but consider myself still a beginner. The work commute includes 15 miles of freeway driving with the slow lane moving at 70mph and the fast at 80+. From what I've read the Honda would be for the slow lane only while the other 2 would be able to easily get around a slower moving vehicle.

I've sat on all of the big 4 Japanese bikes ranging from 250 to 650cc and I prefer the lighter and smaller bikes. While the 390 was comfortable it seems I have a bonier-than-average butt and I found all the others rather uncomfortable. A seat upgrade would be mandatory as weekend fun in the desert means about an hour on the highway (again, concerns about the Honda's top end).

I don't race, wheelie, catch air, or lock up the back wheel to do power slides into a turn. I just plod along and if I can't do it slowly then I don't bother. At 57 I'm well aware of my own mortality. lol

My concern with the KTM is its heavier weight and capability in sandy washes? What about rocky terrain? Is it a fire road limited bike? It's also rather new to the market. That's not a bash at KTM just my general reluctance to buy new models of anything; I wait a couple years.

On the subject of sand, I have a VIAIR compressor that I use with my truck. Does one "air down" motorcycle tires? I came across something (but can't remember where) and a guy was talking about wanting to air down but couldn't because the tires were/weren't tubed/tubeless??

My favorite of these 3 is the Yamaha but something HAS to be done about that seat. Any suggestions?

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KBobAries,

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Seat replacement is mandatory on any bike imo if you are going to do any real mileage.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Two comments, based on 50 years of motorcycling, tho none of it on any of the bikes you listed:

1. I'd avoid the KTM due only to dealer/parts availability issues.

2. I wouldn't be comfortable with ANY of them on an expressway, or any road where 55+ speeds were the norm. Possible exception for the KTM as I don't know the specs, but I'm confident that neither the Yamaha or Honda would be a good choice for anything other than the very occasional, short highway blast.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd put a DRZ400 on that list too. I rode to Sturgis last year with a friend on one and it's a great back roads bike. Very happy and reasonably comfortable for a longish day @ 55 or so. None of the bikes you mentioned are really good highway slab bombers but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for. And I second the seat upgrade. It's mandatory on most bikes in that class for any kind of distance.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Definitely changing the seat but also adding a gel pad on top of that. I guess I’m a delicate flower. No clue which are the quality brands.

All of these bikes in general have more than enough power to dump me should I do something stupid so I’ll be cautious there. No test rides for the Japanese bikes at local dealerships so based solely on what I’ve read, the Honda tops around 70ish and the other 2 around 80ish. The Vespa would do 65/70 so it was okay in 55 zones but it was wide open to get there. I’m familiar with needing to accelerate away from certain dangers at times. That didn’t happen on the Vespa.

No plans to do extended freeway riding. Just the hour or so to get to the desert.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Kawi has a new KLX300 out this year. That's what I'd be looking at.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
With regard to the Suzuki DRZ 400… I am inclined to go with fuel injected bikes and the Suzuki is only a five speed.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I've had a dual sport bike around since the mid 70s. I like the smaller ones myself, the 500 - 650 singles were always a big pig when you got them offroad. The power is better but the weight really really hurts offroad.

I'am older than you LOL. I own a number of bike two are the CRF250L and the WR250R. My CRF250L weighs about 25 pounds more than the WR250R and I can tell it when I'am off road in rougher stuff. I take both out on the freeway, but run in the slow lane about 55 - 65 MPH. My WR250R will do about 87-88 MPH the CRF250L 79-80 MPH both with stock gearing.

I will not buy another KTM, still have an old KTM 380EXC 2 stroke. Getting parts was always a big problem with the KTM. KTM also always seemed to break their fair share of parts for me. Seemed like many times it took from 30 days to 3 months for me to get parts over the years.

I also would never buy a dual sport again that did not have fuel injection. I don't know what Suzuki problem is but they can't seem to update their dual sports from the 1990s.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

1. I'd avoid the KTM due only to dealer/parts availability issues.

You haven't been paying attention Smile

KTM today is not the KTM of the 80's; they are major and took the "Big Four" to the "Big Five" then "Big Six" with the addition of Husqvarna. I'd buy a KTM in a heartbeat (and I have).

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

You haven't been paying attention Smile

KTM today is not the KTM of the 80's; they are major and took the "Big Four" to the "Big Five" then "Big Six" with the addition of Husqvarna. I'd buy a KTM in a heartbeat (and I have).

I see there are now 4 dealers in Maine that carry KTM bikes. That's three more than I would have thought.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Yeah. KTM and Husky make great shit but not below the stated budget. My dad just got the Husqvarna 500cc enduro and it's a beast.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I spent 6 years with a 250 as my primary means of transportation. They all look like fun bikes, but the KTM is the only one of those three I would even consider riding on the freeway. It looks like the Yamaha can just barely make it to the slow end of freeway speeds, and I'm not convinced the Honda can actually make it at all. Either way, those two are going to be damn near flat out full time on the freeway, and that isn't going to be comfortable or good for durability.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To make a good choice, determine your percentage of off road and on road. Where I ride its 80 on road and 20 off. So I buy my bikes with that in mind. Looking in your rear view mirror at the logging truck bearing down on your 250 is not fun. My current bike is a BMW F850GS. Take a look at the 650s being offered now. Good choice for a beginner, good performance on road and you wont "outgrow" it very quickly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll echo Yooper a bit -

I bought a used BMW 700GS last year with the side panniers. I rode it to work a couple of times before the lockdown, and once or twice during. The commute won't be an issue any longer - I just worked my last day and turned in my equipment. I'll be on leave for a few months, then retired.

I think that a 650 would be the minimum to consider if you're average size. I'm actually starting to keep an eye open for an R1200GS (or RT). The current bike was good for me to learn some of the mechanics - I still have a lot to learn, but I'm considering the upgrade in the near future. I hope to enjoy more relaxing rides as the weather warms up.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Kawi has a new KLX300 out this year. That's what I'd be looking at.

And also I read today that Honda is gonna offer the CRF300L.

I got the CRF250L and generally like it. Like anything in the price range you buy it and start replacing stuff piece by piece, but I liked it for learning trail riding. The big things I changed was the front shocks, the tires, then the rear shocks. If you are just doing drive across the desert riding and not overly technical, you might be able to get away with the oem shocks.

I think out of the 3 you listed, the CRF is easiest to maintain. You change the oil regularly, check the valve clearance at 16k and that's about it.

That being said I don't ride much faster than 50 on it, though some push it faster than that. The KTM would be better highway/commute, but I wouldn't terrain ride it, just dirt roads and other non technical stuff where you're not expecting to drop it. The CRF I drop all the time.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'd look at the new CRF300L or CRF 300 Rally but they may be hard to find since they're so new. Another consideration could be a Suzuki DR650 which doesn't weigh all that much more than the 250/300's, only 30-40#. I've enjoyed DR650's and the smaller 250's. My current small dual sport is a XT250 which I love ridden in it's element which is from trails up to 55-60 mph highway.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
As posted above, I’d evaluate the % of off roading & to what type/extent. If much highway is mixed in I’d lean to one of the ‘adventure bike’ options.

I’ve had a handful of enduros over the years, currently have the CB-1100. I really don’t get out in the bush much, anymore.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave this here. (Husqvarna 701; endless mods available to swing the pendulum road/off-road oriented). FACT: winter of '22 I get back home, I will have one of these as my next ride.

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
I have the same hesitation about the CRF300 and KLX300 as the KTM. Both are new and I prefer a 2nd or 3rd year model after any kinks are worked out.

The 650 class bikes are out due to one or more of the following: weight, price, non-fuel injected, or air-cooled. I've read a bit about the pros/cons about air & liquid cooled and think water cooled would be a better fit here in Arizona.

FWIW, I'm 6'2" and 200.

Street/dirt ratio would be about 50/50; perhaps 60/40. There are plenty of areas within an hour's ride that I like exploring. Very differing terrain: some hard-packed dirt roads, washboard gravel roads, trails with loose rock, and lots of sand (some of it rather deep.)

posted Hide Post
We use Seat Concepts "comfort" seats on our dual sports and they are excellent. You can get them in high/standard/low versions. Only issue is they are expensive at $300 but worth it.

https://seatconcepts.com/produ...&variant=20645371462

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post