SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dumb question for electricians
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb question for electricians Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Jimmy: Here's something for you - Ancora Imparo. I built an airplane in my garage from plans; 3 of them actually. I wired them myself and have flown them IFR/VFR in 3 continents, over oceans, day and night. I'm an A&P with IA. I may not know what I'm doing, but I'm sure as hell not way over my head. Unlike you, I'm still learning.

Okay, that is funny, but to be fair, when you say “Dryer cord” most people think 220v dryer cord. The washer cord is almost always 120v, I’ve never seen a 240v washer cord, but the dryer cord (or the stove cord) on a 240v unit is different, Now, you did say “120v dryer cord”, but I can’t say my eyes/brain have never skipped over a detail and left me in the weeds...

Thanks for the laugh.

THIS. When you go into Lowe's or HD and ask for a dryer cord, they will hand you a 240 volt cord and every dryer plug is 240v. So that is what people think when you tell them you bought a dryer cord!!!! However I missed the "120 volt" dryer cord and didn't think of a gas dryer. That being said, how hard would it have been for someone of your incredible skill and vast knowledge of electricity to isolate each lead on the cord, plug it into the wall and put a multimeter on it??????????????????????????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Jimmy >> WTF are you talking about 240V for? I said it was 120VAC

Doing what Jimmy does best - trying to get people here hurt or killed from his soapbox level of ignorance.

What is YOUR exact issue with me? You come into every single thread that I have posted in, make some jackass comment referring to me that has nothing to do with the thread and nothing more.

My advice was to hire an experienced professional electrician, which would NOT get the OP killed as the question he was asking is pretty remedial electrical knowledge.

I have never seen the cord that the OP posted labeled as a dryer cord. Generally they are labeled appliance cord or refrigerator cord as that is mostly what you see that labeled as.

Generally when someone says dryer cord, they are referring to a 240V cord specifically made for a clothes dryer, as the wall outlet is 240 volts and the plug is generally used only for a dryer. An electric range cord generally has a different socket it plugs into.

I suggest you find a hobby.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Boy, everyone or most can't see the 120v after the words dryer cord?

My answer to the original questions is in reality it won't matter.... yes if you put the transformer in a metal box and use the ground then it might one day matter but why is a whole nuther discussion.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Doing what Jimmy does best - trying to get people here hurt or killed from his soapbox level of ignorance.
What is YOUR exact issue with me? You come into every single thread that I have posted in, make some jackass comment referring to me.
I seem to recall that jimmy made exactly the same remark about me.

Kind of reminds me of a Raylan Givens quote: “If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day . . ."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Jimmy is right guys. That is not a dryer cord. It's a replacement appliance cord, and pic was not posted when he made his comment. A dryer cord is rated for 240v 30a and may have either 3 or 4 prongs. Gas driers come pre with preinstalled cord, electric ones do not come pre wired.

Cut him some slack.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I looked up that label after seeing the prongs.
That is a 90 degree 120v, 15a appliance plug, not a 240v clothes dryer plug.
No idea why it says dryer plug except it was probably from China and the person mismarking the label didn’t know any better.
I’d hate to see the results of someone using this for a clothes dryer. Maybe a hair dryer?

OP, this is what a 3 prong dryer cord looks like and the cause for the confusion.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/eastm...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Jimmy is right guys. That is not a dryer cord. It's a replacement appliance cord, and pic was not posted when he made his comment. A dryer cord is rated for 240v 30a and may have either 3 or 4 prongs. Gas driers come pre with preinstalled cord, electric ones do not come pre wired.

Cut him some slack.

My gas dryer, I installed the 110 VAC cable and I answer to Jimmy's question, I believe my posted response to "WTF..." response says it all.

AND Jimmy, that [your original post in this thread] is the reason you're the only person on my ignore list so before you make [another] ignorant statement about me posting in every thread you respond, that is also not true. It's only those someone else has quoted you or had a "WTF..." response to your post (if at all). So again, you're not correct.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Okay, enough is enough about the damn cord. I just went into HD, pawed through their bins and chose a cord that "looked about right" - didn't see it was a dryer cord until I got myself caught up in my shorts and asked SF for help.

And Jimmy, of course I plugged the cord in the wall and verified 118VAC with my Fluke before soldering the whole mess up. I tried reversing the meter probes on the "dryer" wires and got 118 VAC either way, that's what (incorrectly) led me to believe it didn't matter which way I hooked it up.

For some reason the Fluke VOM doesn't care, but the transformer does - over my head...

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Jimmy, of course I plugged the cord in the wall and verified 118VAC with my Fluke before soldering the whole mess up. I tried reversing the meter probes on the "dryer" wires and got 118 VAC either way, that's what (incorrectly) led me to believe it didn't matter which way I hooked it up.

For some reason the Fluke VOM doesn't care, but the transformer does - over my head...
First off, the transformer polarity shouldn't matter unless it has an internally connected tap. You should be able to determine that by reading any documentation that may have come with it.

Second, "reversing the meter probes" won't yield any usable information because it's alternating current. 115 VAC spends equal amounts of time above and below 0 VAC, as a result, there's no such thing as negative or positive AC readings on your Fluke. You'll notice there is a + and - indicator when you set the Fluke on DC volts.
To determine the hot leg in that scenario, you would measure between the ground leg(green in this case) and each of the other individual lines(gray in this case). Trust me, unless you have a wiring problem, one of them will be at the same potential(0 VAC) as the the ground (because they are tied together in the panel), while the other will read ~115VAC.

Additionally, you can orient the plug and determine which one goes into the longer of the slotted receptacle slots, and ohm it out. If the receptacle is properly wired, that should be the neutral.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

First off, the transformer polarity shouldn't matter unless it has an internally connected tap. You should be able to determine that by reading any documentation that may have come with it.

Second, "reversing the meter probes" won't yield any usable information because it's alternating current. 115 VAC spends equal amounts of time above and below 0 VAC, as a result, there's no such thing as negative or positive AC readings on your Fluke. You'll notice there is a + and - indicator when you set the Fluke on DC volts.
To determine the hot leg in that scenario, you would measure between the ground leg(green in this case) and each of the other individual lines(gray in this case). Trust me, unless you have a wiring problem, one of them will be at the same potential(0 VAC) as the the ground (because they are tied together in the panel), while the other will read ~115VAC.

Additionally, you can orient the plug and determine which one goes into the longer of the slotted receptacle slots, and ohm it out. If the receptacle is properly wired, that should be the neutral.

Thank you; written at a level I can comprehend. Zero docuemntation with the HD transformer - came in in a plastic bag with a simple label. Somehow I've gone 69 years w/o learning about electricity, and although it's not my favorite, it is good to know how to wring out a simple circuit. Much appreciated Smile

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
This may be of some use to you:

Ribbed Leads
Wires that have a ridge along the length of a cord are found on flat cords and represent the neutral wire. The neutral wire will be connected to a larger, or polarized, prong if there is one on the plug.

Precisely, but I always verify it with a meter.

aileron,

On the transformer (or anything else in the U.S.):

Black: Hot
White: Neutral
Green: Safety Ground

On the AC plug:

Narrow blade: Hot
Wide blade: Neutral
Round(ish) prong: Safety Ground

As somebody else noted: Swapping meter leads on hot and neutral won't produce any difference, because AC has no polarity. Also, if you got these two backwards on the transformer it really wouldn't matter from a functional standpoint. It might from a safety standpoint, though.

quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
... it is good to know how to wring out a simple circuit. Much appreciated Smile

We don't "wring out" circuits, we "ring-out" circuits Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Cut him some slack.

AND Jimmy, that [your original post in this thread] is the reason you're the only person on my ignore list so before you make [another] ignorant statement about me posting in every thread you respond, that is also not true. It's only those someone else has quoted you or had a "WTF..." response to your post (if at all). So again, you're not correct.

Do you realize that I accidentally stumbled on a thread in the Knives section of the forum a month or two ago that I never visit where you took a cheap shot at me, in a thread that I never even posted in? That's either psychotic or stalkerish, take your pick, but it sure as heck isn't normal. I'll go dig up the thread and post the link to it here once I find it.

Ahhh here it is:
"Waiting for the only person on my ignore list to come in here and post something so stupid it's obvious to all that's how to kill an edge - and then argue the justification because "saw it done that way before."

Sorry, new hip is bothering me today. Wife and I walked five miles yesterday to celebrate five week mark since surgery."
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7980038264"

That being said, there was no picture of the OP's dryer cord when I replied in the thread. And, the fact the OP doesn't know how to find which is the line or neutral on a 120 VAC circuit, reaffirms my recommendation to call an electrician. As that is the first thing you learn about AC voltage. However, It does sound like the OP is technically savvy and can figure things out fairly quickly with a little help.

LS1 GTO- Do you realize that in just about every single thread you post in, you post nothing but sheer and utter BS and absolutely nothing that answers the OP's question nor any useful information in darn near any thread that you post in?