SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of a 2023 Toyota Tacoma: Suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of a 2023 Toyota Tacoma: Suggestions? Login/Join 
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted
Assume I'm a truck novice (good assumption, because I'm a truck novice) aside from driving a few that Uncle owned-- so I didn't need to care about cost or maintenance-- and combing the 'net for information, including prior Tacoma threads here on our go-to info base.

I'm looking for something that'll handle light towing-- think fiberglass camping trailer-- and light yard / landscaping / home-improvement materials. I don't need to routinely move more than one passenger. 4WD availability would be a positive (we do get snow/ice and do some light unpaved travel, though nothing at all extreme.) Not looking to lease, not looking to flip it in a few years, would like something that doesn't require ultra-expensive maintenance (also, now that I'm semi-retired, I have time and the basic skills to DIY oil changes and similar) so wide parts availability and independent mechanics who know the model are a plus. I am OK with a relatively stripped-down model if it makes sense price-wise.

Tacoma seems to check all of those boxes. Are there other options in the same general category that I should look at, or any reason to avoid the Tacoma? I have no independent brand loyalty, and as a novice: Anything helps!

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t need to worry about cost or maintenance then it sounds like you’re a cash buyer. The Tacoma is a fine truck so there’s no reason not to do it in your financial position.

The competitors in the same class are just going to be preference differences so if you like the Toyota I don’t see any reason not to get it.

Posts: 3928 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Some of the negatives include:
Lackluster Mid-range power from the 3.5 engine with an automatic transmission that wants to frequently shift to compensate for it.
Seats that are low to the floor almost like a go cart (deal breaker for me.)
Somewhat cramped interior.
So so ride quality and handling on road.
Dated design.
All new 2024 Tacoma coming in a few months which address some of the above.

Positives include:
Great long term reliability.
Very capable for "off-roading".
Manual transmission still available in some versions.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
For those not planning to do serious off-roading and prioritize a comfortable ride, I suggest looking at the Honda Ridgeline. Both are reliable and will last you a long time.

Posts: 18079 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The biggest reason I can think of NOT to buy the Tacoma (maybe any truck) would be a dealer premium charge above MSRP. I know in some markets Toyota dealers are doing that, or spraying in a bed liner, putting on a tonneau cover and charging $9,000 for under $1,000 worth of add-ons. Things are still a bit weird for new vehicles and that is especially true of the most desirable trucks.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
For those not planning to do serious off-roading and prioritize a comfortable ride, I suggest looking at the Honda Ridgeline. Both are reliable and will last you a long time.

That's what I ended up buying in 2017 and liked it so much that I recently replaced it with a 2023 Ridgeline.
I really like Toyotas though, my previous trucks were a 2004 Tundra and 1997 T100, and I currently have a 2019 Corolla HB.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Lack luster power is corrected by a tune - corrects the gear hunting and sluggish pedal response. 1 inch seat riser to elevate rear of driver seat fixes the seat problem. 4 WD is electronic — Off Road model has locking rear differential where Sport does not. Sport has hood scoop, Off road - no hood scoop.
Price goes up for Limited and Pro models.
Tacoma holds its value better than any other truck.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned a lot of pick-up trucks over the past 30+ years. I never bought a Toyota, I always found something that worked better for me.

The Takoma had an uncomfortable seating position, it felt like you were sitting on the floor. They got terrible gas milage. The dealers always wanted over MSRP and wanted me to purchase a maintenance plan.

My most recent purchase was a Ford Maverick Hybrid. It rides like a car and is getting 45 MPG, for under $29K. Order bank will open July 17th, and it may take a year to get it built.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I’m not gonna talk you out of a Taco. This one’s in my driveway.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Toyota trucks, I have owned a Tundras and Tacomas
They may not have the latest tech, but as far as reliability, resale and availability of parts and accessories are second to none.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
DO IT!

I love my 3rd gen 2016 TRD-Off Road.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17281 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The negatives are well spelled out in this thread in various post's. To many and significant for me to tell someone to go for it. A hard no for me. Been a Toyota guy my whole life. Have had three tundra's and still have a 2010. Can find no faults with any of them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2017 4wd off-road, double cab, short bed, manual trans owner here 7 years come this November. Only 60k miles. Very trouble free

One issue i don’t think they have fixed is if the conditions are right, the AC condensation will drip water on the passengers feet. doesn’t seem get inside the dash or glove box and cause damage just annoying

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last taco I had was a 20 or 21, drove it for a couple of years. now my youngest son drives it so I guess I still own it, at least til he graduates and then I will sign it over to him. I got the manual, off road whatever model. I found the power to be reasonable, it was easy to maintain and gave me no problems. If you are on a budget, don’t mind the seating position, and need a small truck it is about perfect. The truck trades fuel economy for simplicity and longevity, but the seating position and my bad knees (along with a pile of money) put me back into a F-150 for my small truck. Sit in one, and get into and out of it a few times to see if you like it before you decide.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine did not drip on the feet.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Tacoma is now made by mexicans, in mexico. It or the new Super Tacoma, AKA, Tundra, with 6 cylinder power plant in the basic model are in the 40 K range. The Tundra is still made in the Great State of Texas, by Americans. You can have the Super Tacoma, Tundra with 8 foot bed too. I vote Super Tacoma.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you haven't already, you need to drive one. I thought I wanted a Taco back in '18 and went for a test drive. Like others have mentioned, it's fairly underpowered, you feel like you're sitting on the floor and the back seat in the crew cab is small. Then I drove a Tundra. The double cab back seat had as much or more room than the Taco crew. And the price difference wasn't that great. Of course, that was 2018 and I wouldn't touch the latest Tundra (no V8 and it's ugly as sin, as well as lots of new model issues). Perhaps a couple-year-old Tundra?

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Negatives (aside from previously mentioned):

- rear drum brakes
- low hanging exhaust cross member in 4x4 models that can snag in more serious off-road
- plastic bed needs bed mat to keep stuff from rolling around

Positives:

- for the longest time, and possibly even today, the best vehicle in north America wrt resale value!
- very decent off-road performance. In big sand dunes, I easily outdid 2021 Toyota Landcruiser and even Raptor, but mine is a 6-speed stick TRD OR 4x4.
- it's a Taco, it's cool.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My 07 has 217,000 mikes and is still going strong. You won't get that with a Ford or Chevrolet. Honda is a unibody frame with no low range.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
If you haven't already, you need to drive one. I thought I wanted a Taco back in '18 and went for a test drive. Like others have mentioned, it's fairly underpowered, you feel like you're sitting on the floor and the back seat in the crew cab is small. Then I drove a Tundra. The double cab back seat had as much or more room than the Taco crew. And the price difference wasn't that great. Of course, that was 2018 and I wouldn't touch the latest Tundra (no V8 and it's ugly as sin, as well as lots of new model issues). Perhaps a couple-year-old Tundra?
The new 3.4 V6 makes more HP and torque than your 5.7 V8. Probably pull your V8 truck backwards.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post