SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Taught My 8 Year Old To Shoot Today And Holy Hell She Can Shoot!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taught My 8 Year Old To Shoot Today And Holy Hell She Can Shoot!! Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I have brought my daughter up with the rules of firearms safety and more specifically what she should do should she ever come across a gun. I have been waiting to teach her to shoot.

Up until now she has only had experience with one air rifle in my home indoor “range”.

So we are on vacation and with family who has a fair number of suppressed firearms to include several .22s. This and being able to shoot on their property was the perfect teaching opportunity. Subsonic .22, suppressed, private area perfect.

Now my ONLY goal was to teach my daughter safety and respect. If she didn’t like it I would not force it on her beyond knowledge and safety.

Well holy hell did she take to it like a duck to Water. Started with a bolt Ruger 77/22. She hit a 2 inch steel spinner at 20 yards within a few shots. Eventually went to a 10/22 and she was banging a 4 inch steel Plate at 20 yards like she had been doing it for years. I couldn’t stop laughing she was ringing that steel like she was born to it and even understood pulling right due to trigger pull.

Ran a couple mags through a Ruger Mark 4 as well. All started with a single round, but she built up to full mags very quickly.

At days end she cannot stop asking. “So can we shoot everyday... can we shoot tomorrow...etc.”. She had a blast and I am a proud papa. I have taught adults who could do near as well.

So I guess we add another to our ranks or I have contributed to the delinquency of a minor depending on your side of the fence. Smile

It was a hell of a day and one of the best days of my life.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's just awesome! I hope that she will keep being enthusiastic about it!

I can tell you from past experience as a small bore and high power rifle coach, girls usually shoot better than boys.

Be aware of the girl, she might just clean your clock!

I love seeing youth especially girls learn to shoot! I hope that she caught the "bug" and there is no cure! Be proud! I'm glad that y'all had a great day!

ARman

Posts: 3157 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

I took my son around his 8th birthday. I bought him a Cricket for the occasion. He is 11 now and loves going shooting. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy more guns. You know, for him Wink

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
That's Soooooo cool, it's fun to watch them get excited about shooting. Just stand back load mags and try and keep up Dad!! lol

Posts: 5607 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
To hear her look up and say “I’m out” was awesome.

I am astonished at how well she did.

She did a hell of a lot better then her old man when he learned.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

I took my son around his 8th birthday as well. Great feeling to pass it on.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
Awesome! My kids love shooting too. Love being able to pass on my passion to them and sounds like you are well on your way too.

You won the internet today

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3173 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
There's an indoor range in South San Francisco that advertises on their website "Youth Training." I looked into it, and for only $50.00, they teach a kid along with his parent(s) all of the gun safety rules, how to hold a pistol, finger off the trigger, etc., then allow the child and parent to use a lane for up to 4 hours. Gun provided, as well as ammunition.

So, when my son was 12 yrs old, I signed us up. He proved to be a "natural!" He's a sharp shooter for sure!

Sheesh - that was 11 years ago already. Ever notice how having a kid is like having a yardstick on time?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10716 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
One of those proud papa moments! I have two boys and a girl. She is the youngest(17) of the three and out shoots both of them combined.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience with both my daughters, although neither particularly enjoyed shooting all that much. They were incredibly accurate, though. My oldest now shoots sporting clays on a company team. I had her fitted with a nice Cesar Guerini shotgun a few years back. She did, of course, take a Glock and a HP when she left home, along with a shoe box full of mags and half a case of ammo.

Posts: 17153 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You did a great job raising her and your priorities were right. It's awesome you get to enjoy such a great hobby with her.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7085 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
A guy I know (used to work at my favorite FFL) taught his daughter to shoot around that age. By the time she was ten, she was slaughtering bowling pins with his 1911. Better shot than he was to be sure.

You’re doing well, dad.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a job WELL DONE

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Well done, Sir, well done!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1697 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I love hearing these stories! Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38727 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Congrats, it is great to shoot with your kids.

I took my son to the range when he was 8 yo and he too exhibited real skills; shot dime sized groups on smallbore A-17 targets at 50 feet, outshooting all of the adults in the class. He eventually became one of the top rifle shooters at the club bar none when he was only 10 yo. He is in college now, but can still outshoot me, rifle and pistol, every time.

When he was a little kid, I used to tell folks that my son was my 1st choice in a zombie apocalypse. I was serious.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
No pics or videos? I absolutely love to watch kids shoot. The perpetual smiles on their faces is just terrific.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
To hear her look up and say “I’m out” was awesome....

Call sign, Winchester. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It works, too. I taught my kids to shoot in Florida, but they have lived most of their lives in Massachusetts. Not only are they conservatives in that liberal state, but my eldest and her fiancee have unrestricted concealed carry permits.

I don't believe they would be conservatives, or have carry licenses without having learned to shoot young, and without understanding the obligations of personal responsibility, the right and ability of self defense, and the possibility that the state could try to take those things from you.

Teaching shooting, helps teach those other values also, and can last a lifetime.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to taking my oldest shooting whenever she's ready (she's 5 now).

Good for you and even better for your daughter. I think the moral of the story is clear, you need to jump into the suppressor game. You know, for your daughter... Wink

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post