SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions on how to deal with an excessive talker ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions on how to deal with an excessive talker ... Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
... and why are the compelled to do so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Locate another excessive talker and put them in the room together. They will kill each other. Problem solved. Smile

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
Locate another excessive talker and put them in the room together. They will kill each other. Problem solved. Smile

Thank you for the laugh ... I love it brother !

At the company where I worked, we had 2 of them in the office area. They avoided each other like the plague. We thought is was a survival instinct these folks had.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Casually and with 100% confidence call them the wrong name in conversation.

“Listen Robert I hear you, but…”

Doesn’t matter that his name is Danny, it’ll startle him, make him think and you simply turn and exit. Never responding again.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can point out that they are talking too much. That can be done in a polite way. Some folks talk excessively when anxious. No need to beat around the bush.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If I was out in the wild. "Excuse me I have to use the bathroom" "I have to get going" " I need to call the wife, daughter etc." "gotta go, bye" " you talk too much"

I work at a car dealership, have for almost thirty years. Occasionally someone will latch on to me, usually when they bring their car in for service. I work in fleet sales, none of my customers do this.

They will just barge in my office and start talking about stupid crap. "My brother knows the dealer" " I used to have a 1985 chevy" "My mom thinks chevy's are garbage" " my dog has fleas"

Dude, I'm working.

But we are in the service/sales industry and our reputation matters, so I hmm, really? yep.. uh huh.. no kidding... wow! Frown

Sometimes I see them across the way, before they see me and I can jet upstairs to a computer and do some of my work

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
There is a 2 minute, 20 minute, and 2 hour version of every story. I used to have someone in my circle who tried to tell everyone the 2 hour version against their will. Wouldn't take a hint and became a whiny assed victim if you cut them off.

They are no longer in my circle. Life is too short to spend it around someone like that.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Depending on my mood, I am either “won’t shut the yell up” or “won’t talk.”

Before breakfast, definitely “won’t talk/won’t tolerate stupidity.”

However, an old timer, on one of those “won’t shut up” days, said “Never pass up a good opportunity to shut up.”

Might work for you.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Male or female? Relationship?

In my situation it would matter.

But in a nutshell I would dump them or let them know and let them decide what they wanted to do. It's a problem, period. Annoying at the very least.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19247 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If they’ve not heard you speak yet, Well I’ve been thinking of taking a basic intro course in American Sign Language.

I like learning new things.

That would work well with those pesky door knocker solicitors.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I think you just have to be honest and have a talk with them to let them know how you feel, and that other people feel the same way you do.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
When I first started dealing with people like this, I spent way too much time trying to get away. I was trying to be nice. Over the years I learned to be way more direct and let them know I needed to go do other things. If they insisted on carrying on the conversation, I would tell them I had to go and leave. On many occasions I walked away with them still talking. I was very busy at work and could not let them waste my valuable time.

-- George Orwell

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My neighbor is a talker..he appears out of nowhere when I’m in the garage doing stuff and it’ll be an hour before I can get away…he’s a nice guy and I don’t want to just tell him “get to the point” .

OP I get your frustration.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My mother has gotten this way as she’s gotten older. I will put it on speaker, mute it, and go about my business. Occasionally I will take off the mute and say “Uh huh” and then re-mute it.

I was stuck on with her this week. She could have been talking to herself for how she was listening to me. My wife walked in and I said “Here’s Nancy” and handed my wife my phone and left. Mom never noticed I was gone for over an hour.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
On the mobile phone with windy people, I've found hanging up on myself works.

People get mad if you hang up on them...but nobody hangs up on themselves. So you get a pass. Just make sure you follow through and don't pause in your talking, or it'd be obvious.

And, of course, if they call back you let it ring and go to voice mail.

When (if) asked, you can always say coverage was iffy that day. Coverage is _always_ iffy. Wink

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To make things worse excessive talkers also tend to be very loud.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandmother used to talk ALL the time. Constantly, uninterrupted.
My grandfather used two hearingaids. Would turn them both off, just nod a lot.
Boy was she MAD when she figured THAT out!

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Is this a good time to mention I'm looking forward to my wife visiting my daughter for four days starting Tuesday?

Posts: 7484 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I am kind of busy right now or I have things I need to do, please get to the point.

My daughter is excessive talker to the max plus a loud talker and can go probably about an hour with no break to let a response or another person get in edge wise. If I need to talk to my wife I just butt in and have my say which usually takes a minute or too tops. If she objects I say "sorry but I don't have all day to wait to discuss something with your mother. She has not objected since.

I think at least some of these types crave attention and this may be about the only wat they can get it.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This old grumpy guy at work had the best comeback for the two people at work who loved to hear themselves talk.

Old grumpy guy asked a question and after a few sentences of not answering he would say “I didn’t ask how to build the clock I just asked what time it was”. Not overly rude but got the point across and worked like a charm.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post