SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gawd I hate parts of our government
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gawd I hate parts of our government Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
There was no need to outlaw Tylenol #'s. Let the druggie's kill themselves, I don't care. Today I got an upper molar removed. I think I"m going to die. Lucky for me my oldest has the remains of a bottle and is driving this way right now. There are reasons for it, and they are good ones. We're not talking everyday headaches here, we'ver talking real unbearable pain. The oral surgeon and my unsympathic wife don't care. But it hurts like all hell. The advice of "take 2 tylenol" doesn't cut it. I think that by morning it won't matter. But right now it does

And right now I don't want to hear about her story or the volunteer she works with saying they don't need them, why should you. I need one because my head hurts/is killing me. No, I don't need a bottle of them, I need one right now.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Tylenol 3 (tylenol with codeine) hasn't been outlawed by the government... It's still a Schedule III drug, same as before. So you just need a prescription to get it, same as before.

Sounds like your doc just didn't think the pain warranted a prescription for painkillers, and that OTC pain medication could handle it for you.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My oral surgeon gave me a choice between Ibuprofen and a narcotic. Ibuprofen was more effective. The DEA is the agency that is responsible.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I’ve seen studies suggesting that OTC ibuprofen + Tylenol > Tramadol.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've had it in my stomach for over a half hour now and its working.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have to have severe, persistant pain before I will consider taking an analgesic. I have found that, for me, OTC ibuprofen and acetaminophen taken together at moderate doses is far more effective than either alone or aspirin even taken at doses far above the usual. YMMV of course, just one data point.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back, my dentist told me to take 3 advil + 2 extra strength tylenol after a wisdom tooth extraction. It worked better and lasted longer than the tylenol #3 I had used after the previous wisdom tooth.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ibuprofen gave me hives the one time I tried it. I therefore am restricting myself to tylenol.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I've used the combo 2 ibuprofen & 3 acetaminophen to knock out migraines for the last several years. For me it works way better and lasts longer than any prescriptions I've had for the headaches.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 587 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Careful with abusing Acetaminophen, you are creating liver problems. I'd get it checked if this has been a regular practice.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have had a lot of dental work done over the years.

I now always take two Tylenol 1 hour BEFORE an appointment.
It really helps with pain and discomfort of the procedure...

Then, you can determine if more will be required later, as in get ahead and stay ahead of the pain. That is much better than waiting until you suffer with it.

As long as I can make it to sleep the night of... I'm good to go the next day.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I had a tooth the root of which was dying. Anybody who's had that happen knows the of unrelenting pain that results. And, naturally, this started on a Friday afternoon.

I had some left-over serious pain meds from something-or-other I'd stashed for emergency use. They seemed to work at first, then not.

Called my dentist. She told me to try a regimen of alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen (e.g.: Advil and Tylenol) every three hours. I was sceptical, but tried it.

Damned if that didn't kill the pain entirely.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do what I did..the last time I had oral surgery I had a similar situation. I called the dentist and said playtime is over. Get out your prescription pad out because I’m gonna be there in five minutes. At that point I think they just called my pharmacist. Ibuprofen is incredible stuff but I’m not going to play somebody else’s game.

Posts: 958 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^^
Careful with abusing Acetaminophen, you are creating liver problems. I'd get it checked if this has been a regular practice.

The safe dose of Tylenol is under 4 grams daily, which translates to 12 regular or 8 extra strength daily.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^^

Nah, I'm good. My headaches are only once every 8-10 weeks. This combo for me means no stroke-like confusion or speech issues, no light/noise sensitivity, almost no pain and zero vomiting. This is something none of the prescriptions have delivered for me, including hydrocodone or similar.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 587 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Only "parts"?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

-Rob

Yes, I have been doing this for years for pain that would really require an OTC painkiller. A dozen years ago, I had a cracked tooth over a holiday weekend and my dentist saw me off hours and prescribed this as a temporary solution until I could get to the pharmacy the next morning. He used to use this combo when he did his missionary/dental work overseas. Two Kirkland Ibuprofens and a Tylenol works wonders.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post