SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holiday Rambler RV questions, thoughts.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holiday Rambler RV questions, thoughts. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I am again searching for a TT or 5th wheel RV.

Anyone have any experience with a Holiday Rambler 5th wheel.

This is an early 1990's. Made when Harley Davidson owned the brand.

Wondering if any of you have any experience with one?

I don't need a project. This one looks pretty clean. I have not seen in person yet.

This one have been converted to a goose neck hitch fwiw.

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
For the most part all TT, 5th wheels, etc are built like crap. Flimsy materials and poor fit and finish. They are basically falling apart (and depreciating just as quickley) the minute you drive them off the lot. The biggest concern is water intrusion. One of that vintage has likely leaked if not maintained religiously and been stored under cover the majority of the time.

The sweet spot for used RV's is 3 to 7 years old, assuming they have been well cared for by the owner. Older than 10 years it's not a question of if/when problems will arise it how many and how often.

Not wanting a project and buying a nearly 20 year old RV are mutually exclusive.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in a Holiday Rambler Imperial travel trailer for 11 years. My repair man said it was very good quality and very well made. It was a 1992. I sold it in 2008 and bought a house. I liked it but changing flats on the side of the freeway is a bummer.

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We bought a 1999 Holiday Rambler 5th wheel new. 26' rear kitchen with a 12' slideout. Kept it for 12 years. Easy to tow, usual RV repairs over the years, theromst, roof vent, nothing major. As our family grew we just wanted something larger.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks mu and rt, good info.
tx, I think that is a bit dramatic Wink but I hear ya.

Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
The goose neck ball hitch is not your friend. Better to have the 5th wheel style that asorbs the push and pull of the trailer. I like the B&W Companion hitch as it can be converted quickly to a flat floor in your pickup.

I think the HR line is pretty good, just keep it under cover to protect the roof when not in use. Good Luck!

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I recommend you mosey over to RV.net and ask.

There are different rooms there, just like here, go to the 5th wheel part. Check out the rest while you’re there.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom and Dad had a HR 5th wheel, new in 1994. They towed it with a 1990 Ford F350. When Dad got a Freightliner FL50 there were issues. The air ride on the truck was making the hitch slap and was too rigid. We found this out on a trip to Nova Scotia when we discovered that the frame was cracked around the hitch. We got it welded at a local shop in Maine and soon after we returned home, Dad ordered an air ride hitch. I do not remember the name brand, but I can ask if you would like.

Other than that, which I don't blame HR, it was a great trailer and served them for ten years with regular maintenance. It was still in great condition when they traded it in.

In short. Check around the hitch for cracks.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I raced cars for 45 years. Had an International Hauler and towed a 48' gooseneck trailer. The best thing I ever bought was an Air Ride hitch. Eliminates a lot of abuse to the hauler and trailer.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need a project.

IMO, all RV's are a project, especially with some age on them.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
I don't need a project.

Thank you for that honest reply Jeff!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
I don't need a project.

Thank you for that honest reply Jeff!

I agree with Jeff.

As part of our plans, wife and I have been living full time in an RV for 3+ years. Mostly stationary in Virginia at Oceana with occasional trips to the lake in Richmond and friends in Florida. Even our brand new 2017 RV had issues, 3 months at the dealer when we arrived in AZ that included replacing the entire floor and left side of the camper for structural issues. Currently living in it at our retirement spot in AZ while we plan for a cabin build.

They are all projects to some degree. In the used market look for 2-5yr old one owner. Talk to and buy from the owner, not dealer. In 2-5 years an honest owner is going to tell you all the kinks and issues he has worked out or fixed/had fixed. That age range, camper is still modern enough to enjoy. If tires on camper are more than 3.5 years old by DOT date, factor replacement into your purchase. Check spare too. If camper is located at owners home or storage lot without a 30/50a electrical hookup, ask if he has a generator or can you bring one. Ask for water to be hooked up including fresh water holding tank to be filled to check pump. Work through all electrical, HVAC, and check water. Run A/c and Heat for at least 30 minutes to ensure the thermostat and system cycles properly. Look for cracks on axle spring hangers for indications of overloaded camper.

Also not a fan of 5th wheel converted to gooseneck. Not enough interaction between manufacturers and conversion kit companies to say the the frame of the 5th wheel camper is strong enough for the lateral forces that the conversion creates.

ORC,

There is much more. You steered me in the right direction on a piece of heavy equipment, my turn to help you make a good choice. Sent you an email.

David

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, all really good info. I am not a new rv owner. Had a 19' trailer several years ago and traded it for a small camper. Not a get decision as I did not use the camper like I thought I would. Recently sold it.

I could use a smaller camp trailer or smaller 5th wheel now. It is more of a want than a need. But it would be a usable want. Wink

My plan is to also install a small wood stove in it Smile
Surely that will drive some of you crazy Wink

Sigo, was great to talk with you and catch up.

If the unit is water tight and the roof system is good. The water and sewer system is in tact and operational and the electrical system is mostly bug free. The floor being solid. I could live with other maintenance issues for the most part.

I understand about the goose neck conversion issues but need to look more into that as it seems those are pretty common.

Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Years ago my neighbor had an older TT. He spent more time fixing it than he ever did using it. He always said that if you need something to keep you busy get an RV. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1688 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post