SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Learned something about birds this morning.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learned something about birds this morning. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
We use a multi-pronged recycling system for kitchen waste.

Suitable leftovers go to the chickens - pasta, veggies, potatoes, bread crusts, stale cereal, pretty much anything but meat.

Non edible scraps such as potato peelings, fruit rinds and such go in the compost bin.

Meat scraps go to the seagulls. We have one we call "Heathcliffe" (think Red Skelton) that waits every morning and is usually in the landing pattern as soon as we open the front door. He's semi-tame as long as we have food for him.

We were gifted a bunch of stale "welfare food" for our birds and that included a couple of baggies of stale trail mix - nuts and raisins mostly. Didn't seem like a candidate for the chickens but I thought maybe the birds/crows or the odd squirrel might pick through the nuts at least.

Put a dish of it out this morning along with a small dish of ham fat trimmings for Heathcliffe. Looked back out the window a few moments later and danged if Heathcliffe wasn't chowing down on the trail mix too! I always thought seagulls were primarily carnivores.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen on beach trips... seagulls will eat just about anything.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We used to keep chickens. They’re omnivores too. I poured out some range cubes for my thundering herd of cattle one day and in the sack was a mouse nest with a couple of pink hairless baby mice in it. The chickens had come over to get crumbs of cubes and saw those baby mice and immediately there was quite a contest to see which chicken was gonna get a pinky. It made me glad we don’t have 20’ tall chickens.

Posts: 26934 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
Drop an egg in the chicken coop and watch the feeding frenzy begin.

Under Construction

Posts: 362 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Around here they are known as flying white rats. The fast food parking lots are full of them in summer months because the tourists will throw them french fries. Same with going to the lake beaches. They are everywhere and make pests of themselves begging. They aren't afraid of you and actually get underfoot at times. They like to perch on the roof of your car and crap all over it as well as yourself if you're not careful.

The weekend tourists think they are great. Locals are just annoyed by them.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B92F:
Drop an egg in the chicken coop and watch the feeding frenzy begin.

I used to do that with cracked or otherwise defective eggs.

Then I ran into a "cannibalism" problem with hens breaking eggs in the nest.

I quit feeding them eggs or even the shells back to them and the problem is about 99% cured.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
We used to keep chickens. They’re omnivores too. I poured out some range cubes for my thundering herd of cattle one day and in the sack was a mouse nest with a couple of pink hairless baby mice in it. The chickens had come over to get crumbs of cubes and saw those baby mice and immediately there was quite a contest to see which chicken was gonna get a pinky. It made me glad we don’t have 20’ tall chickens.

Oh, yeah, they're all over mice, babies or otherwise. I'll get a mouse commit suicide in the water dish occasionally, the hens will fight over it.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In Salt Lake City, there is a monument to seagulls.

The first Mormons to settle the area were getting their crops scarfed up by a horde of grasshoppers, but the seagulls came in and scarfed up the grasshoppers.

Posts: 27979 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seagulls out in California can read container packaging from three miles away and 1000 feet up.

And if they can't read it,
They will tear the package open to investigate.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seagull = Dumpster Duck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16112 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
They are flying garbage disposals. They eat anything.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
It is funny about seagulls. I used to send my daughters outside on my sister’s dock or at the beach with some bread or other food scraps. There wouldn’t be any gulls around, but when they put their arms up, here the came! They seem to know the drill.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Seagulls will snatch an ice cream cone out of your hand if you're not careful.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Seagulls are rats with wings.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
From what I've seen on beach trips... seagulls will eat just about anything.
I had one swoop down and snatch a hot dog out of my hand while riding the ferry from Helsinki to Suomenlinna. It was so fast I didn't even see it, but those around me told me what happened. (Kind of like the current Liberty Mutual TV ad).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post