SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is anyone here an Uber driver?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone here an Uber driver? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I was thinking that I could make a few bucks this winter while I'm off of work. I've heard you really don't make a lot but I just want to offset the cost of a vehicle payment so that I don't totally deplete my winter fund. Basically, anything would be a great help. Even a couple hundred bucks.

Has anyone tried it?

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We used Uber for the first time in Orlando last week and it's a pretty cool concept. I think it would really depend how busy an area you are in to be worthwhile.

Orlando has like a million Uber drivers and the majority of them seem to be immigrants. They were prompt, polite and best of all...QUIET. Unlike the one American guy we got stuck with twice who would NOT SHUT THE F*CK UP. I actually was going to tell him; "dude, I'll pay extra if you would just shut up!" I don't want to hear your life story and the history of Orlando! Roll Eyes

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They were prompt, polite and best of all...QUIET. Unlike the one American guy we got stuck with twice who would NOT SHUT THE F*CK UP. I actually was going to tell him; "dude, I'll pay extra if you would just shut up!" I don't want to hear your life story and the history of Orlando! Roll Eyes

I've read that some folks take the step of registering as deaf with their Uber account, so that the Uber drivers won't spend the whole ride yakking at them. Then all communication is to-the-point and handled through text.

Big Grin

Posts: 32537 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have not done it, though one of my co-workers did. (And pretty much for the reason you describe - to off-set a monthly payment or three.)

His take was, only a fool with zero business sense would be a driver to earn more money than they would flipping burgers. However, he said, it is great if you have nothing to do on a Friday/Saturday night and want to meet people (of whom most will be drunk).

Weigh the following costs: your labor rate ($15-$20/hr?), gas/wear & tear on the vehicle (federal rate is currently just over $.50), additional insurance for being a car-for-hire, damage to the vehicle which you do not identify right after the fare is dropped off, etc.

Personally, I would rather pimp myself out as a limo driver for high school prom season(s).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I do it on occasion, run both Uber & Lyft.
I started with an EcoBoost F150, got rid of it & got my Mercedes, can do base & lux pickups with it, but not black (car has to actually be black in color & lux to qualify).
Profit went up a bit due to the much better MPG, was running 93 in the F150 due to towing.

A slow night might get about $10/hr not including associated vehicular costs.
Busy nights, I've seen near $30/hr.

Really depends on the area you're in & if there's sufficient demand for it.

If you do, be sure to read up on any specifics for your area.
IE: Houston airports require a permit to 'operate' on premises. No issue with drop-offs, but if you're caught picking up without the permit, it's something like a $500 fine.

I also shut it down around midnight, if I'm still out. I don't deal with the 2AM bar crowds, the extra $$ isn't worth someone puking in my car.

It took some time for me to find a good loop where it seems to stay busy. Lots of orbiting areas & trying new spots.

Running Uber & Lyft seems to alleviate the downtime, as usually one has a pickup if the other is slow.
I've had people tell me that Lyft seems to offer more discounts, so there are nights where is seems like it's 90:10 Lyft to Uber.

Don't chase surge pricing. Learned that pretty quickly. Driving toward a surge area & watching it reduce & be gone by the time you get to it.
I just drive in my 'orbit' & go where the pickups take me.

Concerts & sports events can keep you busy, but know the area & if the traffic is going to prevent it being worth it.
I got caught in a traffic parking lot at the large outdoor pavilion near my house, as it's only 2 lanes & all the drivers had the road effectively stopped looking for their passengers.
Baseball & Basketball games, and associated concerts & such aren't bad, as HPD seems to keep it flowing decently.
Haven't done any NFL games, but did a bit for the Houston rodeo, which went better than I expected.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have friends who do both, and others who deliver pizza. Pizza seems to be more profitable, especially Fri/Sat. One guy makes 400 to 500 per weekend doing it, mostly in tips.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I'm going to drift the thread slightly but it may help fill your $ needs. I have a friend that delivers groceries and related items with Instacart, she is able to select her work hours and accept or decline certain runs if they are to far away or not what she wants to take on. Her tips are very good, especially if she delivers alcohol to a party that just ran out. Even shopping for groceries is easy she has a list of the products and prices and the customer is paying. The funds are xfered to her 'shopping card', no out of pocket for her.

Might want to check it out. Like all things, due diligence is paramount but her experience has been positive.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I drive for both Uber and Lyft here, on the side. While I started five years ago, driving around the University campus and downtown (making a lot of money), now I just do it on Saturday and Sunday early mornings.

There are so many people driving nowadays one cannot make as much money as before.

P250UA5 is correct on all his points above.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2844 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My Step Daughter and Husband just started with Door Dash. Sounds like a similar concept to Uber. Sort of works the same way, also via an app but not for people, only take out food orders. Short local runs.

So far they like it, but it's too soon to tell really. MIGHT be worth a look.

As I understand it...
A fee is included in the food bill and pre paid. Driver gets paid by the delivery by DoorDash and also keeps any tips received at the door.

You choose hours to be "on call".
Get delivery request via the app.
You can accept or ignore the request.
GPS directions to the store and to the customer provided via the app.
Pick up order at restaurant.
Notify customer when arrived via text.
Deliver to door.

https://www.doordash.com

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. To be an Uber or Lyft driver around here won't have much competition but the trips will be long. I'm thinking either to Pittsburgh or Youngstown, OH. Probably old ladies going to doctor appointments or visiting someone at the hospital. The InstaCart and DoorDash things sound interesting.

These all sound like mostly weekend work and that's not my thing.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I know a Army Veteran here who is a real go getter in all he does. He runs Cincinnati a lot, Pilots to Hotels and to the Airport. Some days hes up at 4:00 AM and works all day at it which yields him $120.00 to $200.00. Thats a pretty good week if you drive every day.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I know a Army Veteran here who is a real go getter in all he does. He runs Cincinnati a lot, Pilots to Hotels and to the Airport. Some days hes up at 4:00 AM and works all day at it which yields him $120.00 to $200.00. Thats a pretty good week if you drive every day.
If we're going be up at 4am and work all day, I'd just do snow removal and make a lot more. Smile

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Uber also has Uber Delivery (formerly Uber Eats).

I turned it off, as I found I was making less per night, because of the amount of time spent idling/sitting still waiting for food to be prepared.

Another service, is Favor, though I don't know much about it. Seems to be similar to DoorDash/InstaCart/etc.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
I drive for both Uber and Lyft here, on the side. While I started five years ago, driving around the University campus and downtown (making a lot of money), now I just do it on Saturday and Sunday early mornings.

There are so many people driving nowadays one cannot make as much money as before.

P250UA5 is correct on all his points above.

In addition to what these two members have said. The beauty of Uber is, you can work whatever hours you want. As few hours or as many hours as you want. You want to work, you just log on. Want off, log off the APP. Can also do UBER eats. Most drivers do both Lyft and Uber. Also if you do a long trip in one direction, you can program the app so that it tries to get you a ride/fare back where you came from.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Since no one has mentioned this, and since I don’t know for sure, but wouldn’t you be an independent contractor, be 1099’ed and be responsible for your own taxes?

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uber is a great deal for the passengers and the uber company (even though they never made a dime of profit yet)

Uber is a terrible deal for the drivers.

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep and car maintenance and cleaning

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Since no one has mentioned this, and since I don’t know for sure, but wouldn’t you be an independent contractor, be 1099’ed and be responsible for your own taxes?

-----------------

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most drivers don't make money on paper after deducting the mileage. That should tell you everything you need to know.

-----------------

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I've been responsible for my own taxes since 2007 so I've got that handled.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheni:
Most drivers don't make money on paper after deducting the mileage. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Could you explain that? You don't deduct mileage from your profit, you deduct it from your tax burden.