SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What’s your ideal turkey “done” temperature?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s your ideal turkey “done” temperature? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
We are doing a large 25lb turkey this year. It’s taking a bit to get the breast to 160 I aim for - sitting at 155 currently. Thigh is at 175. I’ll probably pull it in a half hour and let it rest for a while to finish.

Done! - Yours?

Posts: 17906 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’d pull it now. The temp in the middle will continue to rise as it’s resting.

As an example, I did two standing rib roasts on Tuesday. I pulled them off the grill at 120 and tented both of them with aluminum foil. They both continued on to 140 which is higher than I wanted. I’ll pull them sooner next time and try to lower the grill temp.

Posts: 11035 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Put a fork in it -- it is done.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I plan to pull mine off at 157, it will carry over 160. I don't want to go over 165.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1738 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Food safety from bad bugs is a function of both temperature and time. The FDA recommendation of 165F is accurate in the sense that the bugs will die almost instantaneously at 165F.

However, the same level of pasteurization can be achieved by holding the meat at a lower temperature for more time. For example, you can hold your temp at 145F for 8-10 minutes and it'll be just as safe as if you brought it to 165F.

The benefit of this is that you don't have dried out nasty meat. Rather, you have soft juicy safe meat with a ton of flavor.

Pull it now and enjoy.

ETA: Here's an article on the subject.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pull my turkey at 154 degrees and it is cooked slow. I also cook it with the breast side down. It turns out really tender and juicy throughout.

Gustofer is absolutely right about the time temperature scale.

Posts: 12757 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We just put our 21# bird on the Yoder. It's sitting at 45 degrees going for 160. Cooking at 275.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My recipe [Alton Brown] says to pull at 161* & rest for 15min before carving.
500* for 30min, then 350* until up to temp

First bird was tender & juicy. 2nd is about halfway there

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15414 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
165 for poultry

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7087 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2806 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post