SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saw a large meteor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw a large meteor Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
last night. 10:20 PM CTZ. It was a large green fireball headed WNW from Gulf Breeze, FL and broke into two parts. Neat.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I had to get up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break with our oldest dog.
I was standing and waiting when there was big flash followed by a falling light like a flare.
Really cool thing to see.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is cool. Any sonic booms?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Near the ocean

Shaka, when the star fell.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43902 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
When I saw mine I was half asleep when it first appeared and wondered about exactly what I had seen.

Turns out there is a website for reporting and tracking these. They are also referred to as a fireball.
Using the coordinates of multiple reports and sometimes other tracking, they can put together a pretty accurate location, size and track. Anyone that has a picture or video can upload it to the site.

I'm glad I happened to be facing the one I saw. Had I had my back to the meteor I would have only seen a big flash followed by very light sky for a few more seconds and really wondered what I had witnessed.

Mine had entered the atmosphere in Tennessee and was also captured on several video cameras in private vehicles and also on security cameras within fifty miles of my location.

https://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/fireball-report/

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Near the ocean

Shaka, when the star fell.

Big Grin

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cool.

I've seen lots of them, but never one large or close enough to be called a fireball.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

I was at the range night qualifying on the evening the big one that has been in several videos over PA, MD, WV back in the 90’s passed over. Gave off enough light to see clearly, and not so much as a sound.

My wife and I saw a fairly good sized streaker that air burst directly overhead, again without a bit of noise.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Cool.

I've seen lots of them, but never one large or close enough to be called a fireball.

By the power vested in me, by mouse and keyboard, I now pronounce thee... Fireball.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43902 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of old Gulf Stream UFO stories

https://amp.pnj.com/amp/915397001

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
It might have been Putin’s secret weapon. Eek

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/...research-lab-russia/

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2701 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Saw a bolide as a kid. Right place, right time. Sounds like what we're talking about here.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5481 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Very cool.

I was at the range night qualifying on the evening the big one that has been in several videos over PA, MD, WV back in the 90’s passed over. Gave off enough light to see clearly, and not so much as a sound.

My wife and I saw a fairly good sized streaker that air burst directly overhead, again without a bit of noise.

Friday night, mid to late 90's? Greenish in color? If so I saw the same one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20829 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I call them bolides - have seen several

most are low enough in the atmosphere that they actually leave a smoke trail that persists

I've heard a sonic boom from one that broke up...about 20 seconds after I saw it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although not reality, I had an alarming dream the night before last. I dreamed that my wife and I were on an island, somehow affiliated with the military (we're both retired USAF). We were in an air terminal and everyone except me was busy with paperwork, computers, etc. I look out on the ocean and see a couple of meteors (a big one kind of Japanese tea cup shaped and a smaller, undefined shape) streaking down...and they're not breaking up. I told my wife to look up just before the impact. Shortly thereafter, a 1,000 foot wall of water collapsed upon us. That's when I woke up.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Were you within AFR 35-10 (it's always the hair) and were you later than 15 minutes "before on-time"?

Those are always the one's that got me.
My hair's too long or my plane just taxied out of the spot and I'm not on it!

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Those bolides are awesome to see. I only have seen one, I was driving down a rural two lane road at about 2:00am when all of sudden it seemed to be coming right towards me in a blink of an eye, I reflexively ducked down for a second, and it was gone.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Were you within AFR 35-10 (it's always the hair) and were you later than 15 minutes "before on-time"?

Those are always the one's that got me.
My hair's too long or my plane just taxied out of the spot and I'm not on it!

It's now 36-2903 but 35-10 rolls off the tongue so much better Wink

Naw, I got the feeling we were just passing through. Maybe Space A.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Aliens

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
When I was probably 10 years old I saw a very large meteor within the atmosphere and it was a very cool sight to see. I think it is cool to see any shooting star, but to see something like that is awesome.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post