SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do, eat or see in Pittsburgh?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do, eat or see in Pittsburgh? Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted
The family is headed to Pittsburgh for an Imminence concert. We will be staying at the Omni William Penn Hotel. Anything that we just have to do or eat in Pittsburgh, knowing this will probably be the only time we go there? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Primanti bros if your looking for sandwich type food

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Wife is from Pittsburgh.
Been there once ~ a great breakfast is at Pamela's.
We went to the one in Squirrel Hill but I think it might have closed.
Think there are a few other locations.

Posts: 22960 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
A ride up the Duquesne incline is a must.

A ride on the Gateway Clipper fleet is a neat way to see the city.

Point state park is worth a visit.

You are within walking distance PPG Paints Arena for a Penguins game.

The Aviary or the Phipps Conservatory if you like birds or plants.

Carnegie Museum of natural history and the art museum.

There are a million good places to eat. It just depends on what you like.

Posts: 2716 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
A second to Primanti’s. Go hungry…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carnegie Museum of natural history and the art museum.

This is on my list when I get there. It's supposed to be incredible.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38735 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Born and raised in Pittsburgh. Agree with all of the above. If you enjoy art, also consider the Andy Warhol museum.

As someone mentioned, Carnegie Museum in Oakland is phenomenal. I’ve spent hours going through the natural history part.

Posts: 1989 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Phipps Conservatory is also worth a visit. It is located just behind the Carnegie Museum complex.

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The International Rooms in the Cathedral of Learning at Pitt. It's free. The cathedral is amazing, and those rooms are really neat.

Posts: 11400 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Great, keep 'em coming.

So far I plan on going to:

Phipps Conservatory
Primanti’s
Duquesne incline
Pamela's Diner
Hofbrauhaus

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're into airplanes, this small but nice museum is about 20 miles NW of downtown:

https://airheritage.org/

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
You may not have time, but a little road trip down to Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece, Fallingwater, would be unforgettable, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Posts: 2806 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Above are good suggestions. DeLuca's in the Strip area for breakfast, get in line early if you go on the weekend. Go up to Mt. Washington to take in views. The Science Center is pretty cool.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of unique sites, with some caveats I've noted.

Church Brew is a great place to visit - https://churchbrew.com/ It is a brewery in a former Catholic Church. Assuming you are not offended by this, it is a beautiful building, great beer, decent food, plus it is reputed to be haunted.

St. Nicholas Catholic Church. Powerful murals showing artists reaction to the horrors of WW1. I don't agree with all of the artist's politics / messages, but the murals are incredible. Here is a brief review:

"TUCKED AWAY IN THE GRITTY working-class Pittsburgh suburb of Millvale and hidden behind the walls of an unprepossessing but historic Croatian Catholic Church are some of the most extraordinary and overlooked murals of the 1930s and ’40s." https://www.atlasobscura.com/p...murals-of-maxo-vanka

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Eat:

Primanti Brothers for sure, for no other reason than you will be able to say you have been there! There are many other great casual options in the Strip District.

You may also want to try Fat Heads, across the river on the South Side.

For more "elegant" dining (by PGH standards), there are several restaurants up on Grandview Ave. most of which have a magnificent view of the city. LeMont is probably the oldest, and most well-known of these. Taking the incline up to Grandview is part of the experience.

The Church Brew Works (brewpub in an old church) is also worth a visit.

I've been told there are a bunch of good newer places on the North Side near the stadiums, but I have no personal experience.

Attractions:

Point State Park where you can see the confluence in all its glory.

The aforementioned incline(s), and city views from Grandview Ave.

Most of the Universities have a museum or other exhibits, Pitt., CMU, and of course the Zoo.

Posts: 6524 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post