SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Abandoning a disabled car on the road in your state?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abandoning a disabled car on the road in your state? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Growing up in the North East if you left a disabled car on the side of the road you better remove the plates and all the VIN #s or the popo Would be at your door with a multitude of tickets. It was your responsibility to have the car towed to a safe place. Apparently in NC if you just hang your shirt out of a closed window it's totally cool. I see this all the time. Today I was getting off of 77 (interstate) and at the very end of the very narrow exit ramp a Ford Fusion was disabled basically in the middle of the road with a jacket hanging out the window. This car is at the end of a blind curve. No hazard lights, no flares, no warning triangle thingy. A couple of hours later I drove by again and it was still there. Once night fall comes someone is going to seriously get hurt. What about your states? Can your just leave your car wherever with a shirt for an "IOU" or a "My bad." I have seen cars lay out on the side of the road for days ( never in that dangerous of a location though.)

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
All the time in central Florida.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2593 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently in NC if you just hang your shirt out of a closed window it's totally cool.

Plastic grocery bags are the device of choice here.

Posts: 28122 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting to see a car with a pair of skid marked tighty whiteys hanging out the window.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I understand that sometimes shit happens and you don't get to choose where your car breaks down, but with cheap cell phones to call for help and the relatively low cost of road service (I add a basic one to my insurance policy for $9.50), there really is - or should be - little excuse for leaving a disabled car for any length of time.

Posts: 28122 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have never understood the white towel/shirt thing out the window. What does it mean? This car is not abandoned, I'll be back at some undetermined time in the future? It must be some kind of universal sign because I see it everywhere. Maybe I missed something in drivers ED?

Lastly where the heck do all these people get the white articles of clothing or towels? Is it something one keeps in their trunk for this type of thing, or do you grab one and toss it in your car when you know your car is a POS?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20922 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
In NC the law allows removal at the 24 hour mark.

Most agencies extend that. In Charlotte it is 96 hours, I believe. Blocking a roadway is immediate tow, however. It's really a PITA to tow a vehicle unless it's unquestionably a hazard.

I'll keep my opinion to myself on that one.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11460 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Here in Henrico County we would, upon seeing an authentic traffic hazard caused by an abandoned vehicle, immediately initiate a tow by the wrecker on the top of our wrecker company list. They would be there within 30 minutes or less, per agreement.

For abandoned vehicles, a bit more communication and paperwork is required and info goes to the call center in case the owner calls us to wonder about their car.

The owner pays for the tow and storage.

If the vehicle is not a hazard and is not on the interstate, it is marked on the radio as being checked, so that other units will not stop and waste time rechecking it. If on the interstate, the state police will mark the vehicle with an orange decal and initiate proceedings.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5140 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I see the cloth out the window all the time.

In NC, after 24 hours you've automatically appointed an LEO to remove the vehicle for you.

NC GS 20-161: Stopping on highway prohibited; warning signals; removal of vehicles from public highway.

"When any vehicle is parked or left standing upon the right-of-way of a public highway, including rest areas, for a period of 24 hours or more, the owner shall be deemed to have appointed any investigating law-enforcement officer his agent for the purpose of arranging for the transportation and safe storage of such vehicle and such investigating law-enforcement officer shall be deemed a legal possessor of the motor vehicle within the meaning of that term as it appears in G.S. 44A-2(d)."

Edit: I see Chongo posted while I was putting my response together.

Posts: 4023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Chongo is right

from an officer's perspective-it's a huge PITA..

and the staff wants to hold everyone's hand and sing kum-by-ya and feel good about not adding to someone's bad day by towing their POS...

in my city it's 7 days..unless the car is in the roadway (inside the fog line)

if it's in the road (on the pavement) the sgts want you to turn on your lights, have 911 try and see if the owner has a phone number and can they call him to come get the pos... or send an officer across town to find said owner's pos...and come get it out of the road

They will wait 30 minutes snarfling up traffic for the rest of the working stiffs to get detoured or delayed to make someone feel good about the city helping them out-INSTEAD of towing the pos off to the wrecker yard and let that tow truck guy charge they owner $200....

I don't know about you, but when I'm out and about-I've got shit to do and places to go, get the F out of the left lane and if your shit breaks down call a tow truck you insufferable ass...but that's just me

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11362 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
This is one of my pet peeves. I saw too many accidents from idiots "leaving" their car on the shoulder of the HWY when I was a paramedic.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7021 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
The Maryland State Police (and other LEAs with primary jurisdiction on the highways) are actually quite vigilant here about stopping to tag abandoned vehicles. Once that flourescent card is hanging from whatever they can find to attach it to, it will be gone in a day or two. I believe they're fair game for any wrecker that happens to be driving by at some point.

But yes, you see the t-shirt (or whatever) around here all the time and I have no idea what it's supposed to indicate.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16284 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Common practice in the Seattle area when it snows. Stunning really. All those high dollar SUVs abandoned at the first dusting of snow.

Posts: 10824 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We also have the "Can you take me to a gas station? My car ran out of gas and I called 911 and they said you would help me get gas."

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11460 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
In NC the law allows removal at the 24 hour mark.

Most agencies extend that. In Charlotte it is 96 hours, I believe. Blocking a roadway is immediate tow, however. It's really a PITA to tow a vehicle unless it's unquestionably a hazard.

I'll keep my opinion to myself on that one.

The exact spot

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That's SHP territory in charlotte. City has jurisdiction, but isn't doing anything there unless requested by the troopers.

Usually the troopers are on top of that. They have an ENTIRELY different playbook.

-JALLEN

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Here Park it where ever you want.
If in a spot that is not a hazard it will be marked and towed in 24 hours and given a $15 parking ticket and you pay the tow and storage.
If you don't come and get it in a certain amount of time a letter is sent to the registered address if it is not picked up after a certain time period from the letter being sent the tow company can take possession of it and do as they please as compensation for the tow and storage.

We waste no time towing around here rarely will a car sit some place out of the ordinary for much longer than a day or so.
If left on private property the tow company will come and tow it away free of charge to the property owner as long as they sign an affidavit it is not theirs.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25512 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The last disabling (unable to drive it away) breakdown I had was circa 1992.

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Arizona will tag the owner $500-$600 depending on where the vehicle is abandoned.

Towing and impound fees has it get expensive relatively quickly.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up in a large metropolitan area before cell phones, I recall vehicles being completely stripped of all usable parts within the hour. A news crew with night vision equipment filmed crews on the Dan Ryan dismantling vehicles faster than you would believe.

Where I now live on I-10 vehicles often sit for days and no one seems to move them. They are usually in the Emergency lane, but still pose a hazard for those who use that lane as an additional passing lane. I am guessing this is a regional issue.

Posts: 17354 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post