SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Ford Technician
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Ford Technician Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Vehicle is a 2010 Ford Edge.

There is a cigarette lighter type power outlet on the lower part of the dash and another one inside the console. Both of these are always hot.

Is there any way to tell the vehicle's computer system that I want one of them (either one, I don't care which, or both) to be hot ONLY when the ignition is on?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
Not a Ford tech but as an auto tech for 27 years I would say no on the programming idea, Being as they are always hot means they are wired to a constant hot source. one could be wired to do that though, they sell things called Tap a fuse which will allow you to wire one of them to your fuse box to an ignition on source, just remember to go with a higher amperage Tap a fuse for the increased draw from the socket.

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Without looking at a wiring diagram I can only make an educated guess, and that is that if these outlets are hot all the time, they are not controlled by the body control module. They would have to be physically re-wired. The wire(s) to be tapped into must be chosen carefully. Also … why?

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be easy for someone with basic skills to rewire one outlet to an Ignition circuit

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Cigarette lighters have always been hot all the time for as long as I've been around. Even my 1950 Ford was that way.

It's already been said that you could rewire one to a switched power source but make sure it's fused to accommodate a cigarette lighter, which used to be on the order of 10 amps.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Wiring diagram shows 4 cigar lighters in Ford .
#17,64,65,66. In the engine compartment.
Easy fix would be to switch wires at #17 -->#18 which is moon roof.

Posts: 2305 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Cigarette lighters have always been hot all the time for as long as I've been around. Even my 1950 Ford was that way.
The one in my wife's RAV4 is live only when the ignition is on. That's what I need.
quote:
It's already been said that you could rewire one to a switched power source but make sure it's fused to accommodate a cigarette lighter, which used to be on the order of 10 amps.
Not going to be used for a lighter. This is for a low draw Garmin GPS.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just be careful the circuit you rewire this to has the necessary amperage rating.
A lighter may be 30 amp or so and many others in the fuse box 15 or less.
The fuse you connect to is likely only wired on the supply side for the rated amperage. Putting in a larger fuse doesn't change that and could overheat the supply side wiring.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

why?
Power source for a Garmin GPS. Do not want to leave it on when the vehicle is not in use, car battery has been drained before, presumably by this device.

Currently (pun?) I pull the Garmin power plug out of the lighter when I park the vehicle. I usually remember to do this, but my 86 year old memory has been known to fail, occasionally. It would be nice to have this device turned off automatically when I park the vehicle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Just be careful the circuit you rewire this to has the necessary amperage rating.
See the post immediately preceding yours. Low current draw.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

Wiring diagram shows 4 cigar lighters in Ford .
#17,64,65,66. In the engine compartment.
Easy fix would be to switch wires at #17 -->#18 which is moon roof.
No moon roof in this vehicle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's back when we all smoked and used the lighter. So many things are plugged in now they put some of them on the key. We have a 1997 Nissan and it's turns off with the key

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:

That's back when we all smoked and used the lighter. So many things are plugged in now they put some of them on the key. We have a 1997 Nissan and it's turns off with the key

I've got a 2000 Ford Ranger and a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport. Neither has a cigarette lighter that's keyed.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
given your application (garmin) why not just use the garmin direct wire kit, connect it to an ignition hot source and be done. Like 10 minutes work.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11016 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
given your application (garmin) why not just use the garmin direct wire kit, connect it to an ignition hot source and be done. Like 10 minutes work.
I think that if you just rewire the socket you would be best to equip it with the usual fuse value. You may only plug your Garmin into it, but someone else may try to use it for something with a higher draw.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
@v-tail I don't know if something like this is possible on your vehicle, but Chevrolet/GMC trucks have the ability to shift the fuse on the 12V power port to change it from always hot to switched hot.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

I'm not sure what the direct wire kit is, but the power cord with the cigarette lighter plug contains the antenna for receiving traffic information. It is my understanding that traffic data will not be received if this power cord is not be used.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

I think that if you just rewire the socket you would be best to equip it with the usual fuse value. You may only plug your Garmin into it, but someone else may try to use it for something with a higher draw.
I am the only user of this vehicle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:

@v-tail I don't know if something like this is possible on your vehicle, but Chevrolet/GMC trucks have the ability to shift the fuse on the 12V power port to change it from always hot to switched hot.
That is exactly what I'm looking for! Anybody have a 2010 Silverado they want to trade for a 2010 Edge? I'll even throw in a rusty wheelbarrow with a flat tire. Wink

Seriously, if anybody knows how to do this simply, for the 2010 Edge, please tell me. I'm mobility limited, so I'm not physically able to get into a serious re-wiring project, but something like what's shown in the video would be ideal.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים