SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have come to despise alcohol!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have come to despise alcohol! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
While I am certainly not in a prohibition state of mind by any means I have come to despise alcohol.
I quit drinking many years ago mainly because of money. I used to drink quite a bit in college and shortly after starting my career. Then I realized how much I was spending on it but maybe seeing the bad outcomes alcohol caused on a daily basis and subconsciously realizing what it did to my family before I was old enough to understand.

I had a poll here awhile back and was actually surprised by the large number of folks who do not drink.

And while like most things done in moderation there is no issue and I have no qualms with folks responsibly partaking.
But when it goes beyond that and you are putting others at serious risk or causing strife for the family man it sucks.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
You're a PO right? I can definitely see it from you're angle if you are.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite there yet, but after people have had their 3 drinks and start to think they are Christ Almighty with their loud talking and sloppy stories, I'm done.

I pretty much stopped for no reason other than I lost the taste for it. Now the tolerance is so low I'll get a hangover after 3 beers in an evening.

Sole exception is a single glass of appropriate wine with an event meal (Thanksgiving, Xmas, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I've never drank, and never intend to. You'd be surprised how people react to this.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I realized last year that I neeed to make a change. And I did ... after about 10 years of drinking WAY too much.

It sucked but oh man was it worth it!!

Here I am, 203 days later, sober as the day I was born, and I’ve saved $3,448.15 over that duration (according to my tracker).

Here’s to one more day, tomorrow.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I adore the stuff.

Everything from good wine, champagne, beer, whiskey...a fine cognac after a meal...

Yes indeed, I love me some alcohol. I can't imagine that I'll ever quit boozing.

I'll never disparage those who don't drink though. And I have a few friends who don't.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30440 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
I've never drank, and never intend to. You'd be surprised how people react to this.

Same. You certainly get some odd reactions.

Posts: 5169 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I stopped totally a bit more than a year ago.

Not only are the money savings awesome. I feel great, mentally sharp at all times. I'm a fitness freak, but drinking was my vice. I lost 20lbs after I quit drinking and my workouts and physique went to a different level.

Alcohol can be evil and devestating and it can sneak up on you. Alcohol can also be SOOOOOO fun and awesome. Some of the best times of my life have involved copious amounts of booze. On the other side of that, alcohol has led to some shitty times as well.

At this point in my life, the booze isn't for me. But fuck...it was fun while it lasted.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have had friends that had a completely different personality after a few drinks. Goodbye to them.

Then there are those that drink a lot and are now gone in their mid to late 60's.

I use to make my own wine back in the mid 80's when I had a vineyard. But with the neighbors stealing a lot of the grapes, I took a chainsaw one year and took it to the ground. Mad It was a lot of work and expensive with having to spray them every three weeks.

I only drink a beer from time to time in the summer time which probably amounts to a case or less per year. I would rather live longer and see the liberals take it on the chin. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've never understood why anyone would care what another does or does not wish to do.
I don't do bars or parties anymore. Especially since leaving the MC world.
To each their own.
Myself I drink at home or the motorhome ! Wink
But I don't like people so it works for me.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too. I have no issue with those who drink, as long as your not driving drunk I couldn't care less. But not drinking does seem to take some folks by surprise. I just never cared for it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Like the OP, I really despise alcohol. Having said that, I don't mind those who drink responsibly, and I will occasionally have a glass of wine with my wife. Unfortunately, I've seen way too many lives ruined due to irresponsible and excessive use and abuse of alcohol.

Posts: 1627 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
I used to drink a lot in my late 20s. 10-15 drinks on a Friday night was not uncommon. Now a days it's a beer or two a week. No issues with those who drink responsibly.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I rarely drink but I do enjoy a couple of glasses of wine at dinner once every month or two. I enjoy a beer or two on about the same frequency at the ranch when others are around. About two or three times a year I will drink some whiskey with friends either around the campfire or at a party. I enjoy all three for different reasons but could never be a regular drinker for the shitty feeling the next day.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have nothing against drinking in moderation.

I can't stand drunks.

As I've gotten older I've gradually lost my taste for it. I now will have maybe 3 beers over the hot summer, and an occasional mixed drink, maybe 1 every 3 months or so.

I do really enjoy a crown and coke. I just don't hardly ever want it. But when I do, I'll have one.

That's just me.

Posts: 11866 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
A glass or two of wine. usually about midnight when there is no chance that I will be called for some crisis by one of the adult kids, plumbing, electrical, etc. Occasionally a beer or two.

Last time I had a beer was early February last year with a few co-workers. This was after a "rah-rah" inspire the troops meeting day with mandatory attendance. I didn't even have one at my newest grandson's "diaper party and barbeque" the day of his baby shower. It started just about the time I left work, location was only a mile or so from home. But being on the bike, another reason not to partake.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8140 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't despise the alcohol, despise the people who can't control it.

It's like blaming the gun.

Posts: 7023 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
It is amusing the reactions you get when you tell people you don't drink. I've been told, good for you for conquering your demons. A fine young woman I work with was told, right your pregnant, for not drinking. It sure can bother some people.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Police work changed my mind about drinking. I don't drink at all now. Nothing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Booze is here to stay because people want it and just about anyone with some basic knowledge, tools and material can manufacture it.

There will always be alcohol and there will always be people who abuse it.

Posts: 107758 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post