SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Jack Russell Terrier verses the Miniature Schnauzer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Jack Russell Terrier verses the Miniature Schnauzer Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
There are many dog breeds I adore but the Jack Russell Terrier (JRT) and the miniature Schnauzer both hold a special place in my heart.

I have about 17 years experience living with both breeds. Here are my thoughts on the two breeds as well as their strengths and weaknesses.

Jack Russell Terrier
This breed is HIGHLY intelligent, energetic, EXTREMELY healthy and absolutely fearless. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest I would rate it’s energy level somewhere around 15. It’s the kind of dog that will never back down from a threat and gladly engage dogs 4 times it’s size in a fight and will fight to the death to protect its owner. They are fiercely loyal but will hold a grudge if they feel like you treated them unfairly. Fun fact: the first JRT and the one that all JRTs are related to was named “Trump”. Big Grin Interesting and amusing eh?

Teaching a JRT to do tricks is in my opinion very easy thanks to its intelligence. The only thing to consider is after a while the JRT is going to get bored and want to do it’s own thing. Keeping one engaged and interested in your instructions while training it will yield incredible results. While bored out of my mind recovering from surgery and with limited mobility I managed to teach my JRT to sit, speak, roll over, get the kitty, get the ball, get his bone, sit pretty and lay down. My parents were absolutely shocked when I showed them all the tricks the dog learned in only a few days.

It’s not all smiles and sunshine with the JRT. Truth be told they can be overwhelming and quite difficult. The JRT is constantly busy. If it does not get exercise it can become destructive. They love to run and need a substantial amount of exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY . Their unfathomable energy level does dissipate but not until the dog is at least a few years old. A young JRT is probably best described as a highly intelligent ball of energy. My JRT could sprint for 2 miles straight without taking a breather like it’s nothing.

The JRT is certainly not a breed for everyone. They take a tremendous amount of dedication and energy but if you make the investment they will reward you handsomely. If there is ever a dog that is 100% ready to follow you anywhere with enthusiasm, fearlessness and eagerness it is the JRT. But keep it on a leash because if the JRT sees a squirrel or another dog it’s off to the races.

Miniature Schnauzer
If I hadn’t met my wife it is probable that I would only have Jack Russell Terriers. Her family has always had at least one miniature Schnauzer. They have had great Schnauzers over the years but sadly they have had some rotten luck with health issues. I had a JRT outlive FIVE of their mini Schnauzers. Being more of a pure breed dog the Schnauzer can be prone to health issues. Why would I even consider a breed such as this given my affinity towards JRTs? Because the Schnauzer is a breed that refuses to allow you to dislike them. Their attitude is 100% different from the JRT. They live for their owner, to please them and be next to them.

The Miniature Schnauzer is more of a companion. They tend to form a special bond with their human and are perfectly content to just be near their human. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. In my experience the Schnauzer does not do so well if it’s human leaves it for any length of time. I’ve seen this breed become depressed and sometimes refuse to eat when it’s favorite human goes on vacation and leaves them behind. This not nearly as much of a problem with the JRT.

The miniature Schnauzer is also an intelligent dog but in my experience it’s not quite as mischievous as the JRT. As far as a watch dog / alarm dog the Miniature Schnauzer will rarely allow anyone to come near it’s owners house without alerting its human. The JRT will also bark and look out the window for visitors but the Schnauzer treats this like one of its main jobs.

Miniature Schnauzers have incredibly good hearing and are naturally inquisitive. This along with their barky nature makes them a good dog at alerting their owners to any potential threats or visitors. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest I would rate the Schnauzers energy level somewhere around a 6-7. They will gladly run and play with other dogs but they are also quite content to lay around and enjoy a lazy day.

One of the things I like the most about the miniature Schnauzer is its fur coat. Unlike the JRT the Schnauzer does not shed its fur and is considered to be hypoallergenic. If you pet a JRT or rub it’s coat you will quickly see that not only does it shed its fur but it can shed quite a bit of fur. For those with allergies the JRT and it’s shedding can be problematic. My current Schnauzer has something called a super coat which is silky, soft and thick.

After 17 amazing and fun filled years we recently had to say good bye our JRT. It felt like I lost a brother. I have a Miniature Schnauzer currently but one day we will welcome a JRT back to our family.

This little dude lived from 2003-2020

My current sidekick who loves riding just as much as I do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
ha ha, love the pix of your JRT. Sorry you lost him. He is beautiful or should I say, handsome. Like only a JRT can be.

I told my wife a JRT would be the last dog I would ever have. We knew a couple who had one years ago and I did not like him. He was obnoxious. His behavior was due to the owners inability to train him.

We ended up with one who is a mix. He is a rescue and came with some issues. It took about a year or a bit more. But he has turned in to a great dog. He has won me over that is for sure.

Thanks for posting your story. The mini I am sure is a great dog too. I have heard many just love them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
My current sidekick, she's some sort of mutt hound, loves a boat ride as well.

You have my condolences.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Your description of the mini is spot on. I bought one and she adored me. I'd take her out for her daily walks, feed her, and take her to the groomer. She really bonded with me! She did have some kidney issues that were adressed when I was at the house. Soon after the divorce, she died. I was sad, but got over it!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Good observations on the JETS. Friends owned two. Named them. Jack and Russell.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
We had two miniature Schnauzers several years ago. One ate some gravel and didn’t survive the surgery. The other went blind following surgery for a kidney issue. Such loving little guys. There’s nothing like coming home at the end of a miserable day at work to be greeted by two little wagging cropped tails. Someday we may once again get another dog, maybe another mini Schnauzer.

Sorry for the loss of you JRT; he looks like he was great fun.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Do you have any input on the differences (if any) between a miniature Schnauzer and a standard?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
PHPaul, I ran into a standard Schnauzer and it’s owner a few weeks ago at the park and we talked a little bit about our dogs. I always try to chat up the fellow JRT and Schnauzer owners/enthusiasts. He said he has owned both standard and minis and in his experience the little Schnauzers tend to be more affectionate than the standards. According to him the standards are almost more of a working dog that needs more exercise and the minis are more of a lap dog/ companion that would be perfectly content just hanging out doing nothing so long as it’s near you. Genetically I believe there are differences or other breeds that were incorporated into the mini to get the smaller size.

This is of course going to vary a great deal depending on the dog and it’s personality. I’m sure there are standards that are VERY affectionate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're 100% spot on about JRTs. People would think I was crazy for taking mine on long hikes, but he never ran out of energy — constantly running ahead, jumping from rock to rock, then looking back wondering what was taking me so long.

Every time he saw another dog coming up the trail, he would hurry back to my 10 o-clock position, growling at whatever it was — pitbull, German Shephard, it didn't matter how big.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JRTs aren’t referred to as “terrior-ists” for nothing lol

They are always amusing to be around

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, my sister and her husband had a miniature Schnauzer. It hated everyone (including me) other than my sister and her husband. It might not be fair, but that dog turned me off to the breed.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love other people's JRTs.

Fun dogs.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a JRT. Sidney was so smart. We’d lay in bed and tell him get a toy. A ball. a bone. And he’s run down stairs and get the desired object. Then my wife who worked at a vet clinic adopted a deaf half jack half rat terrier. He relied on Sid for cues since he was deaf. He did pretty well on his own for years.

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve been toying around with the idea of breeding my Schnauzer with a JRT. I looked up mini Schnauzer/JRT mixes and they look pretty dang cool. They have the body shape, face and ears of a JRT and colors of a Schnauzer with a little brown mixed in and a more fluffy coat. The coat resembles the broken coat (longer fur) JRT.

Mixing a Schnauzer and injecting some diversity into its bloodline is in my opinion not a bad thing at all to do. I know the fancy dog enthusiasts frown upon mixes but mixed breeds are often the most healthy dogs out there. They are also probably much more intelligent than people would think.

JRT’s are in my humble opinion NOT show dogs. I understand because of their damn handsome looks and unshakable confidence their owner have entered them into shows and have sometimes found success in shows. I believe reverend John "Jack" Russell who is credited with creating the breed would be saddened that the dog has been accepted and entered into shows. Don’t even get me started on that Parson Russell bullshit.

The original JRT was a blend of a few now extinct dogs. I don’t think it goes against the original intent to mix it with something. Especially if the other breed can bring valuable traits to the table.

Crazy I know but I really want to do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We had a schnauzer. He was a good pup.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to raise mini Shnauzer’s when I was a kid. A good smart breed. Unfortunately they seemed to have a bad habit of trying to take on big trucks.

A good friend of mine has a female Schnocker. I never heard of one before. Schnauzer/Cocker mix. She has a tan coat and is the cutest dog I have seen. Smart ass a whip and always looking for a fun time.

Posts: 4064 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SIL had a JRT as a wedding gift from her first husband. She kept the dog.
My wife loved that dog. After my cats passed, she decided that our kids needed a puppy to grow up with. I asked her to wait a while since I felt it was just too soon. She informed me the deposit had already been placed on Lucie.
After a year of being alone during the day, I thought it would be a good idea to get another JRT to keep Lucie company. My son had told me that he loved Lucie but had really wanted a boy dog that he could name Ranger. His birthday was coming up soon. So now we were up to two JRTs.
We fenced a couple of acres to give them space. Ranger dug out. He is a RUNNER. I put in a hot wire. Ranger went over the top. I put a hot wire on the top. Ranger still got out. JRTs are great jumpers. I put a GPS tracking collar on Ranger so I could find him when he escaped....a LOT. Finally a friend who grew up with Jacks said put in an underground fence with a shock collar. Stopped him cold. JRTS are very smart. He waited on open doors or gates but we can track him now.
After a few years, I was on the FB page of the breeder where we got the other two. She had a lone boy who needed a home. So now Murphy joined the group and we are at three JRTs. He was really cute...and the most expensive due to great champion blood lines on both sides.
My friend who grew up with Jacks had gotten one from the same breeder. She wanted a litter of pups so we put our two together.
My daughter had asked if she could have one of the boys out of the litter as her own. The litter consisted of one fat male puppy. Now we have Teddy.

So, be careful with JRTs. They are kind of like Sigs. Cant have just one.
I have four. They have never slept outdoors. My kids have. My dogs haven't.
There are so many stories to tell of these crazy little high energy beasts.
Its hard to get a photo of all four at once.

Untitled by Glen Williams, on Flickr

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Stickman...Those are cute little doggies, and I'm sure special in their own ways, but nothing, let me repeat that, 'Nothing' can match the dominance and overwhelming might and fury of 'Berto the Magnificent'. Don't believe me? Fine, I'll send him over to pee on your carpet or drink your favorite beverage when you're not looking. Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Unca Ed had a JRT. She zoomed around and jumped all over. We called her "Springs in Butt"

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
When I was a kid, my sister and her husband had a miniature Schnauzer. It hated everyone (including me) other than my sister and her husband. It might not be fair, but that dog turned me off to the breed.

I understand this 100%. Trust me I do, I was right there with you on that opinion a decade or so ago. I don’t know if you guys remember that commercial from a few years ago where the guy was calling his dog whose name was “Barky Von Schnauzer”. Big Grin For some of them that is a VERY appropriate name. Unfortunately this is an issue I am trying to handle with my little Barky Von Schnauzer. Some of them are not Barky, my in laws Schnauzer doesn’t bark much at all, but most of them do. I don’t think this is out of meanness. My Schnauzer is incredibly friendly and loves to be petted by strangers but he has not figured out the barking at people doesn’t make them want to approach him and say hi.

When you couple a generally barky dog characteristic with an innate tendency to warn its owners of anyone approaching you get a dog that seems unfriendly or mean when in reality they could just be yelling to you to come say hi to them. I didn’t ever consider this and it turned me off to the breed for years.

No dog is easy to live with. Every single breed requires different levels of investment. The Schnauzer is more chill but it certainly has issues that need to be addressed just like the JRT. In my experience the reward far exceeds the investment. Every day I am awoken by my little bearded dude. Every now and then I’ll get lucky and he will fall back asleep on my pillow next to me like a human resting his head on my pillow. But most of the time he has me up and out of bed early and I have grown to appreciate the schedule change Maverick has forced upon me. Big Grin

Yeah I named him Maverick and he is living up to his name.

That’s a handsome Beagle Bigdeal. I’ve always loved beagles. Some speculate that the JRT might have a bit of Beagle in its bloodline. I would occasionally throw my head back and howl with my JRT pretending to be a Beagle and my JRT would always join me. It was a funny thing to witness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~