SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who to get a Roth IRA through?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who to get a Roth IRA through? Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I want to open a Roth IRA. What firm should I go through?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4206 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Went through the same thing recently. Went with Vanguard. So far I've been happy.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...420066814#6420066814

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with Vanguard.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Vanguard.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I too use Vanguard

Posts: 11400 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edward Jones here. I've been very happy to, especially since November 8.

Posts: 17157 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Edward Jones.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
When I retired, I rolled my 401K into a Roth IRA with the funds eligible for that, and the rest into a regular IRA, and an annuity fund. After all, I did not want all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

Fidelity handles it well for me.

Posts: 13685 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Mine is with T. Rowe Price. In their target date retirement fund for my anticipated retirement date.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
20 years ago, I bought my first Roth IRA from Vanguard and have not regretted it once. They have a great selection of their own mutual funds & ETFs, can buy other firm's mutual funds & ETFs, and they are always in the top echelon for low fees. Once you have $10,000, many of their funds have an even lower expense Admiral version.

First example of expenses, look at Target Retirement 2030 mutual funds:
  • Fidelity Freedom® 2030 Fund has a 0.75% expense ratio
  • T Rowe Price Retirement 2030 has a 0.72% expense ratio
  • Vanguard Target Retirement 2030 has a 0.15% expense ratio

Second example of expenses, look at S&P 500 mutual funds:
  • Fidelity® 500 Index Fund - Investor Class has a 0.09% expense ratio
  • T Rowe Price Equity Index 500 has a 0.25% expense ratio
  • Vanguard 500 Index Fund Investor Shares has a 0.16% expense ratio

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23347 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Optimistic Cynic
    Picture of architect
    posted Hide Post
    I am with TD Ameritrade, they are OK. If you intend to trade actively, they have good tools and low commissions.

SWMBO has accounts with Fidelity and T. Rowe Price, Fidelity is OK, Price is outstanding, esp. for customer service.

Formerly with USAA, and SunTrust. They are OK as banks, investments not so much.

Posts: 6520 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of grumpy1
    posted Hide Post
    Another vote for Vanguard. They have a great selection of no load low cost funds and with their brokerage account you can buy just about any other fund family too for very low transaction cost too.

Posts: 9758 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Good enough is neither
    good, nor enough
    posted Hide Post
    Vanguard

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
    Picture of TannerBoyl
    posted Hide Post
    I used Scottrade. I wanted to choose a different brokerage than my 401k and Roth 401k.

I liked Scottrade because it was only $7/trade.

Their tools are pretty useful.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of msfzoe
    posted Hide Post
    Vanguard has done well for me.
    Check vfinx and vfinx

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Schwab. No trading fees on Schwab ETFs, which have very low expense charges - lower than Vanguard. See SCHV and SCHX.

----------------------------------------------------
    Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of RanRan
    posted Hide Post
    I use Vanguard as well. Ive been very happy with them.

Posts: 174 | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    10mm is The
    Boom of Doom
    Picture of Fenris
    posted Hide Post
    Vanguard period

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peripheral Visionary
    Picture of tigereye313
    posted Hide Post
    I use Vanguard.

Posts: 11368 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Another vote for Vanguard. They've been great.

Posts: 102 | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post