SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Parallel Jr. Going to the U.S. Naval Academy for Summer STEM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parallel Jr. Going to the U.S. Naval Academy for Summer STEM Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
My son applied a while back to go to the summer STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) at the U.S. Naval Academy. He got a text awhile back that his application has been accepted.

The only issue is that it is slated to begin June 1st. That isn't a problem so long as this virus issue has played out by then. Already some of his friends who applied to go as well have had to pull out even before being accepted due mostly to financial issues. Others have not been accepted for whatever reason(s).

He was really hoping to be able to go with at least one person he knows. He has a friend who is from a very low income family. We take him with us a lot when we do things that he wouldn't get to do otherwise. If he gets accepted I'm going to talk to Mrs. Parallel about picking up the cost for him. We were already providing transportation to and from the Academy for the group of six, so it's really only the tuition we're talking about.

Regardless, if this is not canceled, my boy is going and he'll be fine.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, young man!

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome!! Congrats young Sir

I’m encouraging my Girlfriends daughter to pursue the same. She’s 15. Her dream in to go to an Academy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Congrats to him!

I'm local. Feel free to give me a shout if you/he need(s) anything.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
VERY cool! Sure hope it works out.

Also, maximum kudos for your support of his friend.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15242 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son! My son will be there on June 6 for the Summer Session so we are in the same boat hoping they don't cancel their programs.

Posts: 3231 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
He will enjoy the history for sure, get to sleep in Bancroft hall & experience the “blue magnet” Wink

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Very cool Parallel, especially good on helping the less affluent friend, if he gets accepted. I was always that kid, lots of great folks helped me along the way, I cant repay them enough.

I was a shy kid and having a close friend would have made a move like this much easier.

Congrats on your son, I hope he applies and is able to eventually attend the Academy after HS.

HK Ag

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
He will enjoy the history for sure, get to sleep in Bancroft hall & experience the “blue magnet” Wink

Yep. The place is awesome. I'm the parent of a 2011 USNA grad.
Your son will really enjoy the experience.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24134 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
That's great! Do you have details on the program? How old is your boy? Mine are 8 & 9, and I think this may be a great opportunity for them when they are little older.

ETA: Ah google is my friend..
STEM Program

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That's kick ass! I went for a week in 2000 for their summer applicant program and was blown away by the campus. I really hope he gets to go!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! And congrats!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for him!!! And good for you helping his buddy out.

Posts: 4064 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Congrats. That's awesome and will be a great experience. It's almost better if no one he knows goes. That way he will be more likely to meet new people who could friends/contacts for life.

I've played some charity hockey games at their ice rink.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all. He's pretty excited to go. He was invited to a couple of other STEM programs being held at select Colleges throughout the Country. Even though he wouldn't have had to apply (much like a paired down college application) he decided he would rather go to the Academy.

quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
That's great! Do you have details on the program? How old is your boy? Mine are 8 & 9, and I think this may be a great opportunity for them when they are little older.

ETA: Ah google is my friend..
STEM Program

Sorry about that 1967Goat, I had seen your question while quickly browsing and had meant to come back to answer it but I forgot.

My boy just turned 14 and will be in 9th grade next year.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post