SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Civil War II plays out
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Civil War II plays out Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I Can’t disagree with his logic.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting exercise, but how many civil wars have played out as planned?

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The above fellow argues that he expects CW2 to be like CW1, with major military movements and engagements. He posits the idea that the Red States want to re-take the Blue States and to force them back into submission. Why should the Red States want to remain joined with the Blue States?

Should CW2 come about, I doubt it would be anything like what he suggests. I think it’ll be more like Yugoslavia in the 1990s with quasi-civilian militias engaging and seeking retribution on the opposition. The US military would formally stay out of it, but factions within (some non-federalized National Guard and State Guard/Militia) could be used to put down civil disruptions.

Eventually, the various State governments would seek to redraw the map and to let each region control their own destiny, at a new Constitutional Convention. Blue-controlled cities in Red States (Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis, etc.) would have autonomous Free City-State status and would be free to align with the Blue States should their desire, or to go it alone, if so desired.

The below map shows socio-economic distribution within North America, including Canada, of what was termed “The Nine Nations of North America”.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2707 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Eh, I'm not sure about using that map to predict how a civil war would go. For starters, I think anyone who begins with the "Empty Quarter" is going to do just fine. Beyond that, I think anyone who tested the proposition would find that the Mexican and Canadian borders are a lot more firmly fixed and important in people's minds than the map would indicate. Finally, can you really see the pink haired old ladies in the pink tip of Florida picking up rifles and fighting a pink corridor open to New England?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in Idaho, I certainly would add my own 'snort' to being labeled "The Empty Quarter"....

Sure you gotta call everything something....yet if the very name is in such blatant and erroneous concept, what other errors of commission can I expect of his work?

Years ago I reached saturation on various models of massive sociopolitical changes, that I can no longer even read some otherwise scholarly tome.

And the term "Ecotopia" was quite explored in a novel of similar name, from the late 1970s.

However CW II plays out is likely to be considerably different than the speculative notions I've seen already. Unless this version is truly spectacular.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there is a lot of division WITHIN states as well. The large cities in Ohio, Cleveland, Columbus, some of Cincy, Toledo and Dayton are filled with liberals and uninformed voters.

The rural areas of Ohio are a lot more conservative. The Trump signs that were all over the Ohio Countryside during the election cycle proved that.

I am sure that is true elsewhere. Indy is probably the same way, liberal, but Indiana is mostly conservative.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Michael Vlahos, Johns Hopkins, makes a pretty persuasive case that a wide civil conflict is not only inevitable but that we are already in it.

https://player.fm/series/the-j...lahos-jhuworldcrisis

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I think there is a lot of division WITHIN states as well. The large cities in Ohio, Cleveland, Columbus, some of Cincy, Toledo and Dayton are filled with liberals and uninformed voters.

Definitely. The core of Minnesota liberalism resides in approximately 200 square miles within a state of 87,000 square miles. The liberals are quick to point out that empty land doesn't vote. No, but the core of Minneapolis and St Paul are very isolated from the next nearest liberal population center. Perhaps Milwaukee and Madison in Eastern Wisconsin. Other than that, nothing in the Dakotas or Iowa. That's a lot of open land to cross.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, that Empty Quarter is gonna fill up real quick.

Posts: 4283 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would disagree that most of the population would be left unharmed

I think there is a fair chunk of a specific population that would become immediate targets

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53236 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I see it more as the leftist urban centers vs the conservative suburban/rural areas, with the latter winning due to how dependent cities are on food, water, electricity, etc. coming from the non-urban areas.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would argue that we'really already there. We're in the Bleeding Kansas part of the Civil War. The actual beginning of the war that happened 10 years before the beginning. As another poster sad, CW2 will be unlike the OP's author described.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't think we would see Republicans raping and pillaging like he seems to think.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29733 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post