SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum doctors - Lisinopril throat tickle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum doctors - Lisinopril throat tickle? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Sigforum doctors -

I was recently put on a low dose of Lisinopril for my borderline blood pressure. I've been taking it for about a month now.

Within the last week, I've started occasionally getting an odd tickle in the back of my throat, typically a few times per day. Not enough to make me cough; it's just annoying and sometimes requires me to clear my throat. A few times it's been strong enough to make my eyes water a bit. I don't have any other issues that might be causing it (allergies, cold, sinus drainage, etc.) and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it strikes.

I realize that it could just be a coincidence, but could this be related to the Lisinopril? I see that one of the side effects listed is a "persistent dry cough". My doctor even warned me that it might make me cough. Could this twinge in my throat be what they're referring to?

If so, is this something that goes away as the body acclimates to the medication? Or is it something that will be around the whole time I'm taking it? Are there other similar BP meds without this side effect?

And why is it that this BP med causes a tickle in the back of your throat? I'm not a doctor or an anatomy whiz, but that seems like an oddly unrelated symptom...

Posts: 33038 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on a low dose of Lisinopril (5mg; plus cartia for heart palpitations following arrhythmia ablation 18 years ago that got much worse of late). I do not have any issues like that or any side effects that I'm aware of.

Posts: 3552 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am not a doctor but I too was put on a low-dose about a year ago. I did get the throat tickle that makes me want to cough, not constant but enough that I noticed it. I had to go to the emergency room last summer because I sliced the tendon in my finger and when I told the nurse I was on it they asked if it made me cough. They said it was a side effect.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Not a doc, but I've taken this for 2 years. I had the throats tickle early on.

You may find that you need to "go" more frequently also.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I take Lisinopril & occasionally have the throat tickle. It's not consistent in my case, & I consider it to be a minor aggravation.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5524 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
You are not alone.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
I'm on Lisinopril as well, but that is something I haven't experienced with it.

Perhaps a conversation with your MD is in order?

From RXlist website:

quote:
SIDE EFFECTS: Dizziness, lightheadedness, tiredness, or headache may occur as your body adjusts to the medication. Dry cough may also occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: fainting, symptoms of a high potassium blood level (such as muscle weakness, slow/irregular heartbeat), signs of infection (such as fever, chills, persistent sore throat), change in the amount of urine.

This drug may rarely cause serious (possibly fatal) liver problems. Tell your doctor right away if you notice any of the following rare but serious side effects: yellowing eyes/skin, dark urine, severe stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea/vomiting.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat) , severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

In the US -

Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

link

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I was on it for awhile and it caused me to cough a lot, so my doctor switched me over to Losartan and the problem went away. It is the #1 side effect for Lisinopril the doc said.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had to tickle when I started on Lisinopril. It went away after awhile. I'm on Lisinopril/Hctz now with no tickle.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I take Lisinopril & occasionally have the throat tickle. It's not consistent in my case, & I consider it to be a minor aggravation.

Yeah, mine's not consistent either. And like you said, it's a minor aggravation.

quote:
Originally posted by Test1968:
Perhaps a conversation with your MD is in order?

I'm planning to bring it up at my next regularly scheduled appointment. Right now, it's a very minor annoyance. Not worth paying $35 to see my Doc, just to have him say "Yep, that's normal." Big Grin

Posts: 33038 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I was on visibility since my bypass in Sept. of 2009. Never an issue till last year. Developed persistent cough. After about 2 months the doc put me on Losartan. Problem gone.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All medicines have side effects. A dry cough is common with that class of drugs. I hope you are charting your blood pressure and can tell if it is working. If the side effect is that troublesome there are plenty of other medications to try. The big side effect of many blood pressure medications is erectile dysfunction. Lisinopril is not likely to cause that problem.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ah HAH! I bet that's the reason for the regular throat tickle I've experienced the last few years.

It's not bad enough, for me, to be a concern.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
This is common. Some people switch and others it goes away. Mine went away. Lisinoprol is one of the most commonly issued drugs out there so lots of information out there.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lisinopril is in a category of meds called ACE-inhibitors. As a category, there is definitely a side effect of a cough. Some patients can tolerate it or it improves over time. Some can not and the med needs to be discontinued.

A much more serious side effect is called angioedema. That is when there is swelling, especially lips, tongue, and throat. That can be a life threatening situation as someone's airway can become occluded.

Look in your throat. If the uvula (the thingy way in the back that hangs down) is swollen or elongated that could be some early angioedema. It would tickle your throat and cause a cough. If that's the case, STOP the med immediately and contact your doctor. If the swelling gets ANY worse , get to the ER.

If you ever develop angioedema do not let any doctor ever Rx an ACE inhibitors again!! I have had some patients that I've intubated (breathing tube down the throat) because of angioedema return down the road with a recurrence because their doc restarted the meds!!! (Virtually all generic ACE inhibitors meds names end in --pril).

Posts: 215 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I took it for a little while. I had a little tickle and some cough as well. The Dr. told me I might.
I quit taking it when my Urologist doubled another of my meds that has an effect on blood pressure. With it AND the Lisinopril I could barely stay awake during the day.

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
It is a common side effect. Like others have said there are plenty of options for blood pressure control besides the ACE inhibitors.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1900 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like many others have already said, Yes. I'm on a low dose and have the throat tickles and dry cough. I've been on it for a year now and they seem to happen less often.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a doctor however I did play one as a kid and my next door neighbor's daughter as my patient Big Grin However I believe what you are experiencing is post nasal drip. I hope that helps. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3091 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Lisinopril never gave me throat tickle, however it did give me chest pains. I told my Doc who then switched me to chlorthalidone which did not have that side effect.

To this day lisinopril is the only medication in my health record I have an issue with.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post