SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surge protection - severity of indicator light?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surge protection - severity of indicator light? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
So I recently bought some surge protectors (plug in to wall socket, not power panel type) for my 20 yo house.

I found one outlet where the the Grounded indicator light stays off, indicating some issue. I tried another surge protector with the same result. I tried both protectors on another outlet and the Grounded light turns on.

Seems like the outlet has an issue. But I’ve been using it seemingly without issue for years.

How bad is this issue? Get an electrician to check it out asap? Or no real issue if it seems to be working?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
make / model of the surge "protector" ??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The Grounded or Earthed light indicates that your surge protector is connected to a properly grounded outlet. If this light is not ON, you may have a ground-wiring problem and should contact an electrician to inspect and properly ground the outlet.

The Link

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Will call electrician. Curious: if so, how will issues manifest in devices? Will they just not work? Will they break? Will they work intermittently? Hazardous situation?

20 years and haven’t noticed an issue with attached devices to that outlet.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
There are many areas in and around Tokyo that don't use grounded outlets. I found that out the hard way.

Everything will work fine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The surge protector won't work as advertised but your devices will continue to function like they always have .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Will call electrician. Curious: if so, how will issues manifest in devices? Will they just not work? Will they break? Will they work intermittently? Hazardous situation?

20 years and haven’t noticed an issue with attached devices to that outlet.

If you have no ground, then the surge protector won't work. If you plug something into the outlet that has an internal fault to the frame of it and you also touch something grounded (sink faucet, radiator, HVAC supply/return) then you will be shocked. Otherwise it will work just like any other outlet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Got it. Thanks guys.

I'll have an electrician take a look; I want to get a quote for installing the whole house surge protection anyway.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I want to get a quote for installing the whole house surge protection anyway.

Good choice.

I've hated plug in surge protectors since some caught fire a few years back and had to be recalled. Just never trusted them.

Besides, it's just about $3 of extra components that go into those plug in / power strip ones. Split one apart sometime and you will see what I mean. Those cheap components don't do well over time. Which is why the cheap power strip ones need to be replaced every few years or so.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ correct

Do better than simple diode protection … musicians have been using surge protection and power conditioning for their equipment for many decades now.

It’s fairly well developed and you don’t have to use those shitty cheap diode surge protectors.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post