SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kate Steinle Murderer...Not Guilty
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kate Steinle Murderer...Not Guilty Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
^^^^

That's about the stupidest thing I ever read.

Jesus Christ. Roll Eyes

Damn sure top 5, Alan

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I could feel the brain cells dying off as I read it also...

As the proud and happy owner of a P239, my unedited response to the whole article is BULLSHIT!

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
^^^^

Jesus Christ. Roll Eyes

Damn sure top 5, Alan

Those 'hair triggers' are always 'going off' on my Sig - that's why I keep it in my safe, it's always going off for no reason! Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I carry a Sig DA/SA and I can't tell you the number of times I've shot myself in the foot. I may actually qualify to join the DEA as a elementary school, gun safety presenter.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
guys

its California

the Granola State

fruits, nuts and flakes

they have determined that they don't like the US of A, they want to be different, the citizens aren't important but illegals are and at every turn in their society they will do whatever they can to make sure that civilized society will always take a back seat

they aren't us, they don't want to be us, they don't think like us

its not at all surprising that the judge would do everything possible to make sure that the illegal got off

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt it was in "single action" mode. The prosecution should have ensured this to be well understood how this specific gun gets to SA, and that 99.9% of the time it would be in DA. Stating it was in SA (and the hair trigger crap) would be just opinion, not fact and not really relevant - except to liars.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^

Jesus Christ. Roll Eyes

Is any of it not true?

If so, was the prosecution prepared to refute it?

One of the fastest, easiest ways to lose a case is to have it realized that you are providing evidence to back your story which isn’t true.

Does NYPD disable the single action?

Is the trigger pull SA 4.4 lbs? Is that among the lightest?

You get the ídea.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It's clear to me now that an ignorant jury was deceived by a dishonest lawyer and an unconscionable defendant. A trial truly is a performance with actors and all. And the jury just fell for the defense's imaginary sketch.

The prosecutor must've been completely incompetent

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the prosecutors went to the Marcia Clarke and Richard School of Prosecution

they graduated with low honors

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
^^^^

Jesus Christ. Roll Eyes

Is any of it not true?

It's lawyerly chicanery is what it is.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mean it's "lawyerly chicanery" when it's not YOUR lawyer and you disagree with the jury verdict.
I get it. It sucks. But a defense lawyer who wouldn't put up this fight is not worthy of calling themselves an attorney.

Like I posted on page 4 of this thread:
I'm surprised so many on this board are surprised. It's Kommiefornia.

The very same state that would be HAPPY to throw you, a non-felon, in prison for just having a loaded gun in your car for protection. Nobody hurt, nobody threatened, just there if you need it like any other day in your gun carrying life...crossbar hotel for you my friend!

Anyone who dreams we have a "Justice System" hasn't been paying attention for the last 50 years.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:

You mean it's "lawyerly chicanery" when it's not YOUR lawyer and you disagree with the jury verdict.
I get it. It sucks. But a defense lawyer who wouldn't put up this fight is not worthy of calling themselves an attorney.

It's the same either way. And it doesn't make it any less dishonest or deceitful to me no matter which side of the courtroom I'm on. If I'm a piece of crap who committed a despicable crime and felt no remorse, of course I'd want my lawyer to do whatever he can to bamboozle the jury. That's what I'm paying him for.

This outcome also doesn't change the fact that this man is responsible for the death of Kate Steinle, and he will now face absolutely no punishment for that.

quote:
Like I posted on page 4 of this thread:
I'm surprised so many on this board are surprised. It's Kommiefornia.

I'm not surprised. I'm disgusted.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
With that narrative, I'm surprised he didn't show the P320 drop video to the jury.

At some point, lawyers turned ensuring their client got a fair trial into getting their client off at any cost.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not surprised. I'm disgusted.

Rubbish. Ignorance is bliss.

A lawyer cannot make those statements out of the blue. There would have to have been evidence of those “facts.” If there were not, he would arguing facts not in evidence, and the prosecution could, and would, object.

Those “facts” could come into evidence only by way of expert witnesses. An expert witness has to qualify as such as someone whose learning and experience in the subject of his testimony makes his opinions on certain issues reliable, admissible on issues that are outside the experience and learning of the jury. Needless to say, experts often disagree and it is very common to have experts giving opinion testimony that are mutually exclusive. I expect that the evidence about the characteristics of the gun was provided by an expert, and another expert was called by the state to refute those opinions. Then, the lawyers can argue over what those facts mean in the circumstances of the case.

But to the point, is it true that a factory spec Sig 239 has an SA trigger pull of 4.4 lbs? Is it true that NYPD disallows those pistols with SA? Are these other assertions about the Sig 239 true? If not, they can be refuted easily and persuasively. How many 239s are there? How many unintended discharges are there? How many of those were the result of carelessness? Then the jury decides.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prosecutors in these left states are only competent when prosecuting law-abiding gun owners. I thought every one already knew that. Frown

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The prosecution dropped the ball and didn't prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

The defendant had better lawyers- I wonder who financed them?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Ignorance is bliss.

Yes, well, it also leads to not guilty verdicts, now doesn't it...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I believe the fellow interviewed on tv was the chief public defender.

quote:
A jury’s near-full acquittal in the Pier 14 killing of Kate Steinle shocked many people who expected a conviction for murder or at least manslaughter. After all, there was no dispute that the accused man held the gun that fired the fatal bullet and that he hurled the weapon into San Francisco Bay as Steinle lay dying.

But the prosecution was, in some ways, fighting uphill from the start, legal experts said Friday, one day after Jose Ines Garcia Zarate was convicted only of a single count of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

“You have to prosecute a case with the evidence you have, and that’s what the prosecution did,” said Hadar Aviram, a criminal law professor at UC Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco. “I think in this case, there just wasn’t the evidence.”

City authorities never overcame a critical obstacle and established a motive that would explain why the 45-year-old homeless undocumented immigrant — whose release from San Francisco jail before the shooting under the city’s sanctuary policies became a national controversy — would want to kill a stranger.

And though prosecutors believed Garcia Zarate brought the semiautomatic pistol to the waterfront on July 1, 2015, they had little evidence to counter the defense assertion that he found the gun in a T-shirt or cloth and picked it up, causing it to fire accidentally. The gun had been stolen four days earlier from the nearby parked car of a federal ranger, but the burglary remains unsolved.

The defense had little evidence supporting its account, either, but the burden was on the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

President Trump called the verdict “a complete travesty of Justice” on Friday and — echoing of a number of conservative pundits — suggested that the jury should have been told that Garcia Zarate “came back and back over the weakly protected Obama border, always committing crimes and being violent.”

But while Garcia Zarate has been deported five times and has drug convictions in the U.S., he has no violent convictions. And evidence of prior criminal history — and by extension, poor character — is generally not admissible in U.S. courts, unless it is directly relevant to the current case.

Garcia Zarate was charged with murder from the beginning, and prosecutors gave jurors three options.

They could convict on first-degree or premeditated murder. They could opt for second-degree murder, requiring a finding that Garcia Zarate either intended to kill Steinle or intentionally committed a dangerous act with conscious disregard for human life. Or they could choose involuntary manslaughter, which would require a finding that Garcia Zarate caused Steinle’s death with an unlawful, negligent act.

To prove murder, Assistant District Attorney Diana Garcia needed to convince jurors that the round that killed Steinle had been fired intentionally. But this was a difficult task as the bullet first struck the pier’s concrete 12 to 15 feet from Garcia Zarate, then bounced and traveled 78 more feet to strike Steinle in the back as she strolled with her father.

“The evidence that Kate Steinle was killed with a ricochet shot, rather than a direct shot, makes it even tougher to prove to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt that it was an intentional killing,” said attorney Jim Hammer, a former city prosecutor.

Throughout the trial, attorney Matt Gonzalez of the public defender’s office sought to characterize the ricochet as proof that Steinle’s death had been a tragic accident that befell a hapless man.

With no direct accounts from eyewitnesses or surveillance video showing Garcia Zarate’s actions during the shooting and in the moments just before, what remained were dueling conclusions drawn from circumstantial evidence.

And in California, the law on circumstantial evidence swings in the defense’s favor. Jurors are instructed that if they “can draw two or more reasonable conclusions from the circumstantial evidence, and one of those reasonable conclusions points to innocence and another to guilt, you must accept the one that points to innocence.”

“That’s a tough hurdle for a prosecutor to overcome,” Hammer said. “I think for those who are outraged by this verdict, they have to remember that the defense didn’t have to prove that it was an accident. All they had to do was raise reasonable doubt and that there was some other reasonable scenario.”

Jurors declined requests to explain their thinking as they left the city courthouse Thursday.

Garcia offered evidence that the pistol that killed Steinle would fire only with a firm pull of the trigger. She pointed at the defendant’s actions after the shooting — tossing the firearm and walking away — as an implication of guilt. The prosecutor called to the stand a crime scene inspector, who testified that he believed Garcia Zarate had to have aimed the gun toward Steinle for the bullet to have followed the path that it did.

And she played clips of Garcia Zarate’s four-hour police interrogation for the jury. But his alleged confession included a variety of stories about what happened, some conflicting with each other and physical evidence.

Garcia Zarate’s attorneys attacked the interrogation, and they countered as well by calling an expert who testified it was unlikely that such a ricochet shot was intentional. They contended that Garcia Zarate tossed the gun in the bay because he was frightened.

“We have to deduce how a stranger was thinking at the time of the crime from various external evidence,” Aviram said. “It’s not a question of who the jurors believe more. They have to be very close to 100 percent certain that he had intent in order to convict. And they were not.”

It’s unclear whether the prosecution’s trial strategy backfired. Garcia spent most of the trial laying the groundwork for a second-degree murder charge, but in her closing remarks, she introduced a possible motive in a bid for first-degree murder, saying Garcia Zarate had been “playing his own secret version of Russian roulette” when he brought a loaded firearm to a “target-rich environment.”

However, throughout the six-week trial the prosecutor presented little evidence to support that theory, only calling to the witness stand a tourist who was at the pier the day of the shooting and who testified that Garcia Zarate gave her an uneasy feeling.

In his closing arguments, Gonzalez said the case should not have been charged at all, hinting that the political uproar caused by Garcia Zarate’s immigration status had pushed prosecutors — who deny the claim — to seek a harsher punishment.

“Prosecutors don’t always pursue cases in which they’re certain of the outcome,” Aviram said.

Alex Bastian, a spokesman for the district attorney’s office, said the case “made its way to a trial courtroom for a reason. ... At every stage, there was sufficient evidence.”

Hammer noted that the jury spent six days in deliberations, suggesting their decision was not rushed and that they carefully weighed the evidence.

“You may not like the outcome, but if you put 12 strangers into a room and they all agree on something, you need to respect that,” Hammer said. “I don’t think it was an easy decision. I think they knew they were going to walk out and get criticized. But they were the 12 who had that responsibility, and that was what they did.”

Garcia Zarate is scheduled to return to court Dec. 14, and when he is sentenced faces up to three years in state prison — a term he has likely already satisfied since his arrest. Federal authorities on Friday unsealed a warrant for his arrest related to his immigration status, and plan to deport him for a sixth time.

Link

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I found another story dealing with the pistol at trial.

quote:
Defense attorneys representing the man accused of killing Kathryn Steinle want jurors in the San Francisco murder trial to try pulling the trigger on the gun used to kill her.

It’s part of their argument that defendant Jose Inez Garcia Zarate found the gun wrapped in a T-shirt or cloth and it accidentally fired as he tried to unwrap it. A single bullet ricocheted 12 to 15 feet from Garcia Zarate and traveled another 78 feet to hit Steinle in the back.

“I have handled this very firearm — the trigger pull is extremely light,” defense attorney Matt Gonzalez said. “That’s why I’m so confident that I would like the jury to be able to handle it. And anybody who believes this gun cannot fire accidentally — I have no doubt that would settle it. There would be no issue.”

The jury heard testimony Tuesday on the mechanics of the Sig Sauer P239 semi-automatic handgun from the San Francisco police criminalist who matched the gun retrieved from San Francisco Bay to the bullet removed from Steinle’s body.

The gun is a smaller model in a series of .40-caliber semi-automatic pistols commonly used by law enforcement and the U.S. military. Criminalist Andy Smith testified that SFPD officers carry a larger framed version, the P226.

The pistol used to kill Steinle was stolen from a U.S. Bureau of Land Management ranger’s car four days before the killing, and there’s no evidence tying Garcia Zarate to the burglary. The judge instructed the jury Tuesday to assume he didn’t steal the gun.

During direct questioning by prosecutor Diana Garcia, Smith testified about several safety features of the weapon, but said it did not have an external safety lever that would prevent it from firing.

Instead, the gun has what Smith called an “internal passive safety,” which prevents it from firing unless the trigger is pulled.

The component, called a firing pin block, prevents the gun from accidentally discharging if it’s dropped, Smith said during cross-examination, but it in no way prevents the gun from firing if the trigger is pulled.

Gonzalez asked Smith if he was aware of accidental discharges by city police officers involving their Sig Sauer handguns.

“Are you aware that between 2005 and 2011, there were 29 accidental discharges by San Francisco police officers?” Gonzalez asked. Smith said he didn’t know.

Bullet Trajectory and Ricochet Shot Central to Steinle Murder Trial
If the gun is cocked — or in single-action mode — it has a lighter trigger pull. Smith testified that he measured the pressure required to pull the trigger from single-action at 4.8 to 5.5 pounds. When the gun is not cocked — called double-action mode — it takes from 9 to 9.8 pounds to pull the trigger, he said.

But Gonzalez argued that 4 to 5 pounds is actually very little pressure. Outside court, he said that’s why he wants the jury to try pulling the trigger.

“We want the judge to allow the jury to test, to dry fire in single-action mode,” he said. “If you handle this firearm in single-action mode and you press the trigger, it’s very light.”

Gonzalez said he has asked Judge Samuel Feng to allow jurors to test-fire the unloaded weapon, but the judge did not yet make a decision.

This story was dated October 31.

Link

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That's so much BS. They need to distinguish between accidental and negligent incidents in which someone pulled the trigger vs incidents when the gun spontaneously fired without a trigger pull.

The guy is an illegal, a criminal and a liar.

Whatever the legal outcome here, one would hope that the legal community sees the travesty and offers pro-bono support for dad Steinle to pursue at least civil recourse. In an irony of all ironies, ideally a prestigious SF firm who supports sanctuary status agrees that this is not right and not intended and helps sue the city for the maximum result with everything going to the Steinle's.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post