SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our double oven bit the dust.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our double oven bit the dust. Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
It's a Frigidaire 27" double wall oven. All the goodies that were offered 15 years ago when we bought it. The main board and wiring harness are fried, and no replacements are available. Adapting a newer version of the electronics is possible but that option is cost prohibited.

So we're in the hunt for a replacement. Holy crap they've gone up in price. We paid around $1400 plus about $100 or so incidentals 15 years ago and at that time it was pretty close to top of the line for Frigidaire. Today, they go for $3000 for a bare bones model, up to $5000 for a "well equipped" version. There is some price difference between manufactures, with the current Frigidaire at the lower end. We're not stuck on any particular brand.

Okay, so we settled on a soft budget of $3500 - $4000 knowing we might need to stretch that some. That hurts as we just replaced our AC at more than $12,000... but you gotta have an oven ya know.

Question is; what's a good brand these days, and where's a good place to shop. Looking on the internet, most outlets show very limited inventory, with statements that they don't know when there will be availability.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NavyGuy,

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check these guys out.

https://www.fixyourboard.com/

Less than $200 got my 20 yr old double oven going again

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I about 'doubled over' reading this. You may want to fix your title, Navyguy.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

It's a Frigidaire 27" double wall oven. All the goodies that were offered 15 years ago when we bought it. The main board and wiring harness are fried, and no replacements are available. show very limited inventory, with statements that they don't know when there will be availability.
Looks like Frigidaire is still at it. My wife and I bought a Frigidaire electric range when we bought our first house. Much like yours, "all the goodies that were offered." Top of the line. Really nice. Until it stopped working, and we were told, much like you, "no replacements are available."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you are a Costco member check out the web page, we bought a pretty high optioned LG double oven (micro/convection over electric convection)

If you use your Costco Visa you get 4% back, a two year warranty and Costco concierge service, they deliver your new unit and install it, take out the old unit and haul it away at no additional charge.

https://www.costco.com/cooking-appliances.html

They are having a sale on LG appliances as well

https://www.costco.com/Catalog...2021_1001_Fall_Focus

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used these guys to fix my board on my kenmore induction range - $150

https://www.corecentricsolutio...s/return-for-repair/

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to us on a 27" GE Profile double oven. Control board went out. Considered repairing the board with one of the above mentioned services but since everything was white we decided to trash oven, frig, cooktop and range hood for new stainless.

I buy Whirlpool because I've got a lifelong friend who owns Charlie Wilson's Dixie Appliance. Cost for a 27" Whirlpool Gold convection double oven was just under $2000 including tax, delivery and installation. This was in April of 2020.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t tell you what brand to buy but I would avoid a Jennair. We are having to replace the keypad due to a stuck key error that makes it inoperable. Oven is 4 years old and hasn’t been heavily used.

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We saw a Maytag that had everything we wanted at a good price. We put cash down on it but they said delivery would be end of Nov and perhaps into Dec with no date guarantees. We figured we better act on that one, since every other place I checked (internet) were out of stock with no projected availability date. Then we wandered into a small independent shop and surprise, surprise, they had a GE with all the goodies we wanted a few more, in stock that could be installed this coming Tuesday. Just a few bucks more than the other one so we made a deal for it, and cancelled the other. Everything I've read about the GE is positive and I hope that holds true.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
better start taking some measurements on what will fit in the cabinet space without a huge modification. 100 different sizes.

Posts: 5596 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
"They are having a sale on LG appliances as well"

Strongly recommend you AVOID LG!

We start a kitchen remodel on the 11th....ordered appliances back in March and they are finally all in. Going with GE-Profile on the set............30-inch double oven.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4579 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
better start taking some measurements on what will fit in the cabinet space without a huge modification. 100 different sizes.

Yeah, we brought in an install schematic from the existing oven which they compared to the new one. It shows a near perfect fit but the installer will need to cut about and inch off of the top trim (there's 3 inches available). The only thing I can't remember is if they hard wired the old one in. Code now requires a plug and if it's needed it will be and extra $45.

-D.H. Lawrence