SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Better vehicle design than a long bed, regular cab pickup?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better vehicle design than a long bed, regular cab pickup? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Bassamatic: Bravo!!!

That's damn close to my dad's 73 Camper Special. Various family members drove it regularly until 18 months ago, when the most recent owner managed to somehow drive it without oil. He was heart broken & has served penance for the tragedy.

Good news rumors are he intends to rebuild the 454 & pass it on to a young nephew....

I put many miles @ 10-11mpg rolling thru the back country of Oregon/Idaho/Montana.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even for a single guy like myself, the regular cab is a bit of a pain. An extended cab, provided it has suicide doors, is a lot handier for carrying groceries, guns to the range, etc. With jump seats, you can carry passengers in a pinch. Add this to a long bed, however, and it becomes pretty unwieldy. A 6- or 6½-foot bed with this cab is a good compromise between cargo carrying and drivability. This length of bed will easily carry my work tool boxes. A 5-foot, like often found on crew cabs, might, but is pushing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

Here is a pic of my 1979 C10 with a 454.

I - and before that, my brother, so it remained in the family until 2001 - had an '84 C20. It passed everything but a gas station. Big Grin One thing it had that you also don't find on new trucks is a big, wide and flat bench seat. It wasn't very supportive, and if not for seat belts and power steering you'd roll around on it like a marble in a mixing bowl, but what it was great for was catching Z's on a long road trip. I could sleep on it comfortably.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Even for a single guy like myself, the regular cab is a bit of a pain. An extended cab, provided it has suicide doors, is a lot handier for carrying groceries, guns to the range, etc. With jump seats, you can carry passengers in a pinch. Add this to a long bed, however, and it becomes pretty unwieldy. A 6- or 6½-foot bed with this cab is a good compromise between cargo carrying and drivability. This length of bed will easily carry my work tool boxes. A 5-foot, like often found on crew cabs, might, but is pushing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

Here is a pic of my 1979 C10 with a 454.

I - and before that, my brother, so it remained in the family until 2001 - had an '84 C20. It passed everything but a gas station. Big Grin One thing it had that you also don't find on new trucks is a big, wide and flat bench seat. It wasn't very supportive, and if not for seat belts and power steering you'd roll around on it like a marble in a mixing bowl, but what it was great for was catching Z's on a long road trip. I could sleep on it comfortably.

Yup. Mine also has the huge bench seat. I kind of like them, when I take my dog with me he has lots of room and easy to pat on the head. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5041 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

It ['86 Chevy] had the infamous exploding saddle tanks, so no matter which side you got hit on, it was bad news bears.

They weren't that bad. You may recall NBC News trying and failing to get several to blow up, so they rigged one with explosive charges. The previous generations had the tank right in the cab with you. Eek

What they were bad for was getting them filled up. Sometimes you could find a pump with a hose long enough to reach across to the other side, but if not, you had to turn around to fill the other tank. Often, a driver waiting behind you to use the pumps would - through no fault of their own - dart into and take your pump. Ford did dual tanks much better, with both fillers on the same side.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post