SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Window Shade Ideas/Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Window Shade Ideas/Recommendations Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Would anyone here be able to recommend a good window sun/heat shield for a minivan? I need to get something for my wife so her van is not 5,000,000° in the summer sun, I use a Heatshield brand shade, but not sure if that will work for her as it requires you to actually roll it up and roll it back and put it away, and she’s having to focus on getting two small children in and out of this van and I think she’d just skip it half the time. I was thinking more of some kind of pull-across type shade for her? I looked a couple up and they seem to have mixed reviews, issues with the clips not holding onto the glass or the shade itself being hard to retract through the closed position. Would anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks!

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I think what you're looking for doesn't exist.

It is considered illegal in a lot of places, but there is a newer tech window tint that can be applied to the inside of the windshield that supposedly does wonders for reflecting heat. If it has a very light tint, you cant tell it's there, so while technically illegal, no one checks or questions it.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

there is a newer tech window tint that can be applied to the inside of the windshield that supposedly does wonders for reflecting heat. If it has a very light tint, you cant tell it's there, so while technically illegal, no one checks or questions it.
My wife had that on her Ford Escape.

It was fine at first, but then it started to show minor defects that were no problem in daylight, but created big time distortion at night.

I would definitely not recommend this stuff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remote start.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I like this style and currently use it in my car. Make sure you get a big enough one.

Opens and closes very quickly. Takes 5 seconds to remove. I just fold it and shove in between the passenger seat and center console.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Covercraft. Custom cut/finished for your car model. Covercraft Windshield Sun Shade
They fold up and nicely store between the car seat and the console

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I always put a fitted Dash Mat on my dash. They are like a light carpet. They definitely don't absorb the heat like the vinyl dash does. Use a couple velcro squares to install. Easy and looks nice.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Covercraft. Custom cut/finished for your car model. Covercraft Windshield Sun Shade

Have a couple of these on order now ~ 1 for me and 1 for the wife.
Wanted something custom fit ~ yes pricey but you only live once.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Have a couple of these on order now ~ 1 for me and 1 for the wife.
Wanted something custom fit ~ yes pricey but you only live once.

Just checked it out, yeah it's pricey, but it actually had an option for my Lane Keep Assist, surprised it's that custom.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Covercraft brand. I think it was $60, but works very well here in the hot Midlands of South Carolina. It's also built very well. Worth the money.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get a similar silver folding reflective shield in any auto store for less than $20. Sixty bucks? Gimme a break !

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
You can get a similar silver folding reflective shield in any auto store for less than $20. Sixty bucks? Gimme a break !

All the ones I've bought at auto store have failed in a year or two. I'd be willing to pay for one cut for my car if I could get it to last five years.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using my Ram 2500 Covercraft for the past five years. Fits and works well.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

Show me one that matches the quality of Covercraft, and also is custom fitted to my car's windshield and rear mirror mount with all of its sensors. I'll wait patiently.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DonDraper,

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought my Covercraft in 1990 and it is still good but needs replacement. The seams where it is folded have started to come loose.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I have one for my Toyota Tundra from Weathertech. Fits like a glove. What I especially like is it has a reflective side for keeping the sun out and the other side is for winter use which helps absorb heat so the vehicle isn’t so cold.

Maybe not for everyone but I’ve been very pleased with it so far. Has it about 18 months and it’s holding up very well

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6732 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The windshield rake of modern vehicles to reduce drag means large usually black dashes and large windshields. In hot weather with the AC on high, I can still feel the heat reflecting off the dash.

My solution is one of the wire framed silver fabric windshield reflectors. I think it was $8 at Costco, and does the job. It's nice that it folds up to about 16" in diameter, a little awkward to deploy, but wins the value award. Holding up well, and on year three.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post