SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What motorcycle has a five-cylinder rotary engine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What motorcycle has a five-cylinder rotary engine Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
in the CENTRE of the front wheel?

AND is almost a hundred years old?

Read and amaze!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megola

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What a unique design!!! I think a few people here already know I like LOVE motorcycles and think about them often. I have thought about rotary engines in motos but never once in my motorcycle design daydreaming did it ever occur to me to put a small rotary engine inside of the front wheel. That is so creative!

I love the rounded fenders too. What a cool bike!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bike for sure!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've always heard that style referred to as Radial not Rotary.
Still a neat bike.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15279 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Still a neat bike.

Often confused. Both have the cylinders arranged in a ring.

The difference is that with a radial engine, the engine is fixed to the mount and drives the propeller via a crankshaft. With a rotary engine, the propeller (or in this case, wheel) is fixed to the engine block and the entire engine rotates with the wheel (or propeller) around a fixed crankshaft.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well crap, I thought I knew the answer: Norton Classic, but it only had twin rotors.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Still a neat bike.

The difference is that with a radial engine, the engine is fixed to the mount and drives the propeller via a crankshaft. With a rotary engine, the propeller (or in this case, wheel) is fixed to the engine block and the entire engine rotates with the wheel (or propeller) around a fixed crankshaft.

Thanks for the clarification.
When I think Rotary, I think of the spinning Dorito machine in my garage Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15279 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m with radial.
Rotary is Wankle. Or turbine. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’m with radial.
Well, according to Wikipedia, PHPaul is correct. Apparently it prefers "Wankel" to describe the other engine type.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’m with radial.

Rotary engines, in which the engine rotates, were around a LONG time before the wankle rotary...which does not use cylinders.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That thing had no clutch or transmission. Eek You have to start it by spinning the front wheel while on the stand or by pushing off with your feet and would die if stopped. Not good in traffic.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m with radial.

Rotary engine. They powered many World War I aircraft. The crankshaft is stationary (fixed to the airframe, or in this case acting as the bike's axle) and the crankcase and cylinders rotate around it. In an airplane, the propeller is bolted to the crankcase and therefore turns with it to provide thrust; on this bike, the cylinders provide torque to turn the wheel.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
That thing had no clutch or transmission. Eek You have to start it by spinning the front wheel while on the stand or by pushing off with your feet and would die if stopped. Not good in traffic.

Jim
Seems like a centrifugal or magnetic clutch would've been feasible. Love the California stop in the video.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Still a neat bike.

Along those lines this engine could be either a Radial or a Rotary.

It would make some sense to have the axle/crankshaft fixed to the forks and the cylinders spinning with the wheels. Because a Radial design would require that the cylinders be separate from the wheel. However that rotating mass would create a lot of precessive forces and I suspect that in actual riding it would require a completely new skill set.

I saw a video on youtube discussing some Rotary engine equipped WWI combat aircraft and when taking off or turning that giant gyroscope would cause some motions to be impossible. For example IIRC when taking off and climbing you could turn to the Right but if you tried to turn to the Left it would cause an immediate nose dive. It's why after WWI you only saw Radial engines used on aircraft.

BTW, speaking of motorcycles I once had an old timer tell me that the original H-D engine design was based on an 8 cylinder Radial. BTW, this was in the early 70's and that old timer was 85 at the time and his father worked for H-D.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post