SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want to feed the deer. What’s the going rate for 600 lbs of corn, and how long will that last?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to feed the deer. What’s the going rate for 600 lbs of corn, and how long will that last? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have a camera setup on the drive at my cabin mainly to be notified anytime a vehicle comes up the drive.
But as a secondary I get a ton of great pictures of the deer and a few other critters here and there, mainly fox and bear.
Used to get a ton of coyotes but I am guessing some of the neighboring properties did a
mass culling because I haven’t gotten a single shot of a coyote in over 4 months.
A couple weeks ago I dropped a mineral lick near my camera and I have probably tripled the amount of deer I am getting on camera.
I stopped at Bucee’s on the way home from the cabin today to grab some fuel and a sliced brisket sandwich. I noticed they had All Season EZ Feeders with 600 lb hoppers for $475. This is an all self contained solar setup with easy load 600 lb hopper and varmint guard.
That got me thinking I would love to put one of these up in the woods. I have a perfect spot for it. I have a pond and a spring on the property so plenty of water and cover.
I am curious how much 600 lbs of corn would cost and how long it would last?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25442 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
The Bucee’s near me sells 50lb bags for just under $10 per bag. About double what it was a year or so ago.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Just fyi….deer feed might be a better option as deer are susceptible to founders disease from a diet too rich in corn…..makes them lame and they die a slow death

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A unit like that should most likely have a somewhat automated and programmable feeding mechanism. You can typically set the times and quantities you want to drop.

I’m not familiar with that large amount of corn. My concern would be how well the unit is sealed as to prevent the elements from rotting/molding the corn.

Deer will travel very far and let friends know about free food, 600lbs should be enough to start a frenzy.

You’re going to get some great pics!!

-Jeff

Posts: 172 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Before spending a bunch of money on a feeder...
My nephew made a couple of his own from PVC pipe and swears by them. Real simple looking.

Search on YouTube for... DIY PVC deer feeder... or similar will return many results.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you would want to feed deer because?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11014 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Deer will travel very far and let friends know about free food, 600lbs should be enough to start a frenzy.

The deer population is pretty well regulated.
Do you want to create welfare deer?
Or just a little occasional feed for pictures?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

He needs a reason? enjoying wild life is good enough for me considering alot of people use them to lure Deer in to kill them.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course you need a reason because mostly feeding them is bad for the deer and bad for people and the environment. In many suburban areas there are few natural predators and and more food is more deer. More deer above the natural rate is starving deer when you stop feeding them. Feeding deer is generally not good for the deer. In New England deer are the main source of many serious tick diseases when in abundance. Many people get hurt with deer collisions with cars like in the millions. Deer destroy forests when too prevalent, etc.
One should not add any food to the eco system for any wild animal.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11014 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
It isn't legal to feed deer here. We have to plant feed crops meant to let them graze.

The reasoning is they think that they spread disease at the community feeder. We used to plant indian corn and some other stuff and just let it grow.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little corn goes a long way. I have about a dozen white tail come in daily for a snack. I do keep a mineral block out all year and I think that is a major reason they show up. I put a medium size pan of corn out daily spring through fall, and a little more January through March when the frigid weather arrives.I think 80 lbs of shelled corn is around 12.00 here. If they show up before I put the feed out, they will come to the window and look in to see if I am there.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’d suggest starting off with a single fifty pound sack and see what you end up with. Six hundred pounds is… ambitious.

Better option: put up a salt lick.

Posts: 17212 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Don't feed the deer, especially because you want to get pictures of them. You'll bring enough in for photos with the salt block.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Exactly! Feeding deer corn has always been a bad idea. Here, take a look: LINK

Here in Missouri the Conservation Department is very concerned about Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), which is highly contagious, and a corn station like you are talking about would be a prime vehicle for spreading the disease.

It's always best not to fool around with Mother Nature.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5050 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Corn weighs 56#/bushel. Bushel is $4.70 today. Grab some barrels and head to the elevator. Make sure you use containers you can seal else you will be feeding other wildlife.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

He needs a reason? enjoying wild life is good enough for me considering alot of people use them to lure Deer in to kill them.

I stand corrected

“Feeding deer artificially concentrates them in one location for extended periods of time,” says the NYSDEC. And that is bad because it creates a greater possibility for the transmission of diseases such as Chronic Wasting Disease.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Please don’t feed the deer.

Why people want to watch giant rats eat next to each other is beyond me, but the damage done to the deer population due to CWD has been proven over and over again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12348 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xtbone97x:
A unit like that should most likely have a somewhat automated and programmable feeding mechanism. You can typically set the times and quantities you want to drop.

I’m not familiar with that large amount of corn. My concern would be how well the unit is sealed as to prevent the elements from rotting/molding the corn.

You’re going to get some great pics!!

-Jeff

Yes, the unit is fully timed and automated.
I had planned on feeding so that 600 lbs would distributed over 6 weeks.

I had not thought about the feed molding.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Before spending a bunch of money on a feeder...
My nephew made a couple of his own from PVC pipe and swears by them. Real simple looking.

Search on YouTube for... DIY PVC deer feeder... or similar will return many results.

This style would be emptied out by the coons in a few days.

I am only able to make it down every 4-6 weeks to refill.

quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Exactly! Feeding deer corn has always been a bad idea. Here, take a look: LINK

Here in Missouri the Conservation Department is very concerned about Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), which is highly contagious, and a corn station like you are talking about would be a prime vehicle for spreading the disease.

It's always best not to fool around with Mother Nature.

I was unaware of this. Feeding deer corn is super common around here.

Guess I will just add a couple more mineral blocks around the property.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25442 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you are in an area, or are close to an area (50 miles) that has CWD, I would highly recommend against feeding deer. Common feed points spread the disease.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38000 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Besides CWD, the other problem with "deer" feeders is they tend to feed feral hogs. Deer damage pales in comparison to what a sounder (aka herd) of feral pigs can do in one evening.

Responsible land owners install fences (e.g. solar power electric fences) around deer feeders to keep out the hogs. Fence is short enough the deer fawns can jump over but tall enough to keep out feral hogs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post