SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Scotch Whiskey Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Scotch Whiskey Advice Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted
I have removed sugar from my diet and after a week I had a bourbon last night that tasted overly sweet.

I am willing to try some scotch whiskey but I do not like the peat/ smokiness of some scotch.

What would be a good brand or bottle to look for. I believe from a little research I want a low land scotch.

I'd like to stay under $60.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any Highlands, lowlands, and campbeltown will not have peat. Speyside can be found without peat as well.
Any Glenmorangie
Grangestone 18 year from Total Wine
Springbank
Glen Moray

Any of these should work

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Macallan 12 or most any Irish Whiskey
Not appreciating the peat makes drinking Scotch almost useless.

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Johnny walker black

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Another vote for McCallen 12 especially at its price point.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5688 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah BTW, when it's Scotch it's Whisky not Whiskey. Smile

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
As others have said, Macallan 12 is very good. Another favorite of mine is Abelour 12.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1904 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I was really surprised by The Glenlivet 12 yr and I do not enjoy liquor normally. It was a surprisingly smooth exception. Even better than JD single barrel or Woodford Reserve, which were the more favorable hard liquors for me.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Oh yeah BTW, when it's Scotch it's Whisky not Whiskey. Smile

My first thought too - there's no 'e' in whisky. Razz

I prefer Speyside whiskys and so give a big thumbs up to Macallan. I'm also partial to Balvenie.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The Macallan 12

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The Balvenie Double Wood Scotch is excellent in that price range.

I also highly recommend Powers Single Pot Signature Edition Irish whiskey. Stay away from the regular Powers, it’s not that good.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
What bourbon were you finding to be too sweet?

Lots of the Scotch suggestions you've received already are good.

Maybe a good Rye whiskey or even a cask strength bourbon (like Bookers)?

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suntory Harmony or Toki. Very nice as well.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet 12 year old is a good place to start.

Glenfiddich 12 is also a good start point

If you want a little more complexity (and $) then you could try

Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve

Oban 14

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
What bourbon were you finding to be too sweet?

Lots of the Scotch suggestions you've received already are good.

Maybe a good Rye whiskey or even a cask strength bourbon (like Bookers)?

Rye is great. Less sweet than bourbon. Less complicated than scotch. Although some ryes are a little "green" to me. Not quite sure how to describe it.

Regardless, excellent advice from cyanide357

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have tried dozens of Scotches including many single malts. This one is smooth and light and delicious. Not peaty.

https://www.totalwine.com/scot...GvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
If you don’t like smoke, stay away fro the Islay malts. Especially Ardbeg, Laphroig and Lagavullin.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2388 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
For Scotch, Highland Park and Oban are my favorites. Rye is nice. I like Rittenhouse. Not sweet but very smooth.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rye is great. Less sweet than bourbon.

Regardless, excellent advice from cyanide357

Another vote for rye whiskey.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Try Glenlivet. Light in flavor, not too peaty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post