SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago Mayor Suing Auto Makers for Building Cars That Are Too Easy to Steal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Mayor Suing Auto Makers for Building Cars That Are Too Easy to Steal Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
So it's the cars fault and not the thieves?

https://legalinsurrection.com/...e-too-easy-to-steal/

The failure of Kia and Hyundai to install basic auto-theft prevention technology in these models is sheer negligence, and as a result, a citywide and nationwide crime spree around automobile theft has been unfolding right before our eyes.”

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Automakers have deep pockets, and they publish their addresses. Thieves, not so much. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Is this is the same administration that asked criminals not to shoot people between 9am and 9pm?
Can't they just ask criminals not to steal cars between 9pm and 9am when most people would be home from work?
Once again, how about enforcing the laws and put criminals behind bars.
It seams to always be someone else's fault.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This could be a lot of fun! In other words, I hope Hyundai takes advantage of this as they could really expose the lawlessness the libtards have created.

Hyundai should depose the mayor and make the turd squirm. A few examples:
  • One by one, go through every car thief released without bail
  • One by one, go through every criminal released without bail who later stole a car.
  • One by one, go through every car thief who plead down to misdemeanor.
  • One by one, go through every criminal who plead down to misdemeanor who later stole a car.
  • Ask about financial contributions from the dark money people behind all of the criminal coddling. Set him up for perjury.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Void Where Prohibited
    Picture of WaterburyBob
    posted Hide Post
    Is it a requirement that to be the mayor of Chicago you have to have an IQ below 60 ?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of John Steed
    posted Hide Post
    Great post TatorTodd.

But could Hyundai or Kia withstand the inevitable charges of racism?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Steed:
    Great post TatorTodd.

I agree! Time to stand up to this nonsense and nip it in the bud. Set an example of this idiot mayor.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Simple... Remove all cars from Cook Co. IL. Only thing left to steal will be the bus.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6guns:
    quote:
    Great post TatorTodd.

I agree! Time to stand up to this nonsense and nip it in the bud. Set an example of this idiot mayor.
    Exactly! If there is one thing we know about Demonrats is that they're lemmings who will pile on in every jurisdiction unless they realize we're playing the game better. Make an example of this idiot so that every other mayor sees what its like to be deposed by $2k/hour legal talent.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Interesting, our curiosity has an answer. A little over a week ago both my wife and I received a letter from KIA stating that we could get a free steering wheel lock for our vehicles just by filling out the attached form. Said it was based on the VIN number of our cars. Since one KIA is a 2012 and the other is a 2016, I asked her if she wanted one. She said no so I tossed them in the trash. We’re both in our mid to late 70’s, live in a gated community and don’t travel so we didn’t feel it was worth getting as most likely we wouldn’t use them. My guess is that’s what most people would do. I remember saying to her “why are they sending this out now for a car that’s over ten years old?” I now see the logic behind it. If people like me don’t respond, they can say they offered this to everyone that fit the criteria and let them make their own decisions. Like rebates, most people won’t put the effort in to fill out the form. From my time in business, the average is only about 2-3% return so they can absorb that and satisfy the courts with their efforts.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of abnmacv
    posted Hide Post
    Car companies should pull out of Chicago and use the adjacent suburbs as sales outlets. Less city tax revenue for the worthless democrats who perpetually control that dirty and dangerous city.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    In the early 2000’s a co-worker ( We were auto theft detectives) and I went to a Dallas car show . A representative from GM gave a presentation to a room full of LE on the capabilities of On-Star.
    One detective asked why GM couldn’t be of more help assisting us to track “active stolen vehicles”. She flat out told us “it wasn’t in GM’s business model to provide that service”.
    Things may have changed, but GM/on-star was not very helpful back in the day. It’s of no interest to car makers to harden their cars against theft.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Page late and a dollar short
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MRBTX:
    In the early 2000’s a co-worker ( We were auto theft detectives) and I went to a Dallas car show . A representative from GM gave a presentation to a room full of LE on the capabilities of On-Star.
    One detective asked why GM couldn’t be of more help assisting us to track “active stolen vehicles”. She flat out told us “it wasn’t in GM’s business model to provide that service”.
    Things may have changed, but GM/on-star was not very helpful back in the day. It’s of no interest to car makers to harden their cars against theft.

And OnStar had a commercial around 09-10 touting just that, vehicle shutdown. Filmed in the Detroit area, I think on the Lodge Expressway despite their mentioning I-75

It can be found on YouTube as On-Star commercial, the good and bad of On-Star.

-------------------------------------——————
    ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    If you're truly deluded enough to think the cars are the problem (sound familiar?), pass a law that they can't sell them in the county.

Nope, no shakedown money in that.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by navyshooter:
    Chicago Mayor Suing Auto Makers for Building Cars That Are Too Easy to Steal

The scumbag mayor must have visited Seattle recently. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eschew Obfuscation
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MRBTX:
    Things may have changed, but GM/on-star was not very helpful back in the day.

I’ll go back and try to find the article, but there was a big blowup here in the Chicago suburbs a couple of months ago: A Mom’s vehicle got carjacked out of her driveway with her child still inside. She had had OnStar or something like it, but had not kept the service active.

The police called the service provider to ask them to track the vehicle, but were told “No” because there was not an active subscription. If I recall, the officer himself paid to reactivate the service so the service provider would release the vehicle’s location.

ETA: It was Volkswagen’s CarNet service.

“Unfortunately, there was a delay, as Volkswagen Car-Net would not track the vehicle with the abducted child until they received payment to reactivate the tracking device in the stolen Volkswagen," the sheriff's office said.”

https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...-carjacking/3080823/

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cas:
    If you're truly deluded enough to think the cars are the problem (sound familiar?), pass a law that they can't sell them in the county.

Nope, no shakedown money in that.

Don’t you see, it’s clearly the CARS fault, not the car THIEF!
    Just give us more money to fix this problem, and we’ll be good!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Great post TatorTodd.

Sure just offer zero interest rates and rebates with free oil changes for life...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    What is next, suing mugging victims because they were too good of a target?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rightwire:
    What is next, suing mugging victims because they were too good of a target?

No, that was last summers strategy.
    Lightfoot said the street vendors were getting robbed because they were carrying cash.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2...0past%20few%20months.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post