SIGforum
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7370036584

February 10, 2022, 09:34 AM
DSgrouse
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Nuts and bolts.

Was looking for 1/2 by 13 thread flat head bolts, washers and nuts.

Doing a search across all the usual hardware sights came up with staggering prices.

10 bucks per 5, or two bucks a pop for just the bolt. the washers were 50c, and the nut a buck.

It took me a while to find some, eventually scored 150 on grainger that were on clearance.

50 1/2x13 2" for 2.47 or there abouts. Washers were 50 for 9 bucks, and nuts were 50 for 10.

I ended up buying a 150 of each. Now my wife suggested listing the extras on ebay for 3 bucks a pop......

Niether of us have the time to manage that bullshit. But, the bolts are going for that there. Crazy stupid.
February 10, 2022, 10:27 AM
PASig
We are trying to order kitchen cabinets and the prices are frankly shocking; between the shortages and inflation, this kitchen project is going to cost us FAR more than we had planned.

I was tempted to bag the whole thing and wait another year or two but appliances are already ordered and who knows if things will be even worse in 1-2 years. Frown

February 10, 2022, 10:30 AM
Expert308
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I've been looking for my third pair of Danner Quarry work boot for six months now. My size is not in stock. Emailed them and they said another restock is six to eight months out. I guess I'll see if I can find a pair of Red Wings.

I bought a pair of Quarry's at the factory store here in town last year, great boots. I've been looking for another pair but with the wedge soles for months, and they just aren't available in my size.
February 10, 2022, 10:50 AM
OKCGene
^^^^^ Yeah the prices of bolts nuts and washers are crazy. I've been working on my workbench and making a roll around stand to hold some things. I was shocked at the prices, and these was just ordinary hardware, not good hardware like Grade 8 or whatever, what I would normally call just junk hardware.

I've gone away from Phillips head screws and gone to the wood screws with either a Square Head or Torx Head, those suckers are getting ridiculous and you have to buy them by the box, can't buy just a few.

Anyone remember the good old days when you'd wander into the Lumber Yard or Hardware Store and they'd have bins and bins, and some were on revolving stands, and you'd just select what you want, put them in little sacks, get exactly what you wanted in the quantity you wanted, and go pay the cashier, and it was just pocket change to buy. Not anymore! Need a few nails? Buy a whole flippin' box now!!!

That's why I stop at garage sales and ask if they have any nuts bolts and screws they want to sell.
February 10, 2022, 11:41 AM
bossman
Find a True Value store. We have two of those locally and they sell single nuts bolts etc.
February 10, 2022, 11:43 AM
HRK
quote:
Anyone remember the good old days when you'd wander into the Lumber Yard or Hardware Store and they'd have bins and bins, and some were on revolving stands, and you'd just select what you want, put them in little sacks, get exactly what you wanted in the quantity you wanted, and go pay the cashier, and it was just pocket change to buy. Not anymore! Need a few nails? Buy a whole flippin' box now!!!

We still can at any ACE Hardware here

February 10, 2022, 11:57 AM
DSgrouse
Ace, wilco, tractor supply, truevalue, best typcially all have a loose section.

Even ace and tractors supply nuts and bolts are stupidly expensive.

Yeah, I am going to be hitting up garage sales and estate auctions to find some. Also a decent bench vise.
February 10, 2022, 01:19 PM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

We still can at any ACE Hardware here

My local Home Depot still has bins where you can buy one or two or whatever you want.
February 10, 2022, 01:26 PM
Sigfan Roy
Baked Lays
February 10, 2022, 02:29 PM
dave7378
Green Mountain Gringo salsa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 10, 2022, 05:10 PM
YooperSigs
Pilsbury small cans of Crescent Rolls. The ones with 4 rolls. Unobtanium! Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
February 10, 2022, 07:10 PM
71 TRUCK
Not sure if this was mentioned but Cream Cheese. My local Aldi has had it in past weeks.
They have a sign 2 per person. This week the shelf's were bare.
I know during the holidays they were talking about it so people would not make Cheese Cake however that was almost 2 month ago.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member
February 10, 2022, 07:17 PM
shoevb
I know we've mentioned cat food but it seems to be getting worse. We go to several different stores to find it and if we do, we send out a text to our friends and it ends up being a flash mob in the cat food aisle . We have been eating dinner and get a text from a friend and out the door we go to Pet Smart.
February 10, 2022, 07:51 PM
jonrem
Found Fresca back in stock at Publix but $7.50/12

That’s beer prices!
February 10, 2022, 08:06 PM
ugeesta
quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
I know we've mentioned cat food but it seems to be getting worse. We go to several different stores to find it and if we do, we send out a text to our friends and it ends up being a flash mob in the cat food aisle . We have been eating dinner and get a text from a friend and out the door we go to Pet Smart.

Try. Newly.com Chewy.com for another source. That’s where we shop for food and litter. Our FexEx guy hate when we order since we get 12 bags of litter at a time.

Edit: Damn Autocorrect....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ugeesta,

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
February 11, 2022, 10:21 AM
Expert308
^^^^^^^^^
I went into Safeway yesterday for (among other things) cat food, and the entire canned cat food section was empty save for a few oddball cans, mostly pate varieties that no cat in the world will actually eat.

[ETA] I checked Chewy this morning and found that something like 80% of their canned cat food offerings are sold out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,
February 14, 2022, 02:17 PM
PASig
My wife reported seeing numerous messages on her mom's groups on FB of people having a hard time finding baby formula right now.

I need distilled water for my CPAP machine and struck out at our local supermarket and tried Walmart and there was a big hole in the bottled water/spring water section where it NORMALLY is, I ended up finding a couple gallons in the baby aisle for twice the price.

These shortages are getting more and more random and weird. Frown

February 14, 2022, 03:34 PM
msfzoe
Canned cat food.
February 14, 2022, 04:08 PM
Jimbo54
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Canned cat food.

Same here. We can order it online but it's a lot more expensive.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
February 14, 2022, 04:32 PM
oldbill123
[/QUOTE]
Haven't seen corned beef in over a year. I'm really jonesing for a reuben too.[/QUOTE]

Just at COSTCO. They had a bunch