SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Publishers Clearing House $2500 a week for life...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Publishers Clearing House $2500 a week for life... Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Then you get to pick someone else that gets $2500 a week for life after you're dead. Wife and I seen the commercial last night and I commented that's a terrible thing to do to somebody. She say's What!? You don't want $2500 a week and then give our new grandson $2500 a week for his life.

I tried to get her to consider how your life would be with everyone and every relative you know trying to position themselves as the one to get the money. You would hear all the reasons all the hardships everyone has and how they need the money more then the next person.

So she says you just announce right away that the grandson gets the money. Done deal everyone shuts up. Sure I said and you just ruined our grandsons life. Worse thing you can do to a young person is give them free money especially enough where they don't have to work. The only way I would do that is if the rules allow you to put the money in a trust fund until he's 40.

Interesting conversation. I think she seen my point but it's funny how people can't see the downside to free money.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I know people can surprise you but fortunately I only have one family member I think would pull such low class bullshit. He’s a waste of oxygen and knows most of us will shoot him if he sets foot on our properties though so...*shrug*

Currently it’d be either be my niece/nephew or the youngest child either has at the time. I’d stipulate that $500 a week minimum be put into savings for the first 20 years and hope they did the right thing.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Does anyone actually win?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

According to the commercials they do.

If you can't believe a commercial, who can you believe?

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just like the two guys that previously won in "The Running Man" that retired to a tropical island!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Just what the OP was talking about, was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the ad.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1731 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:

Just like the two guys that previously won in "The Running Man" that retired to a tropical island!

I just spit all my Cadre Cola on the screen!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a juried lixting of prior winners. Bet its short.

Just selling ads is what they do.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My grandmother used scissors to cut in little pieces the “YOU MAY ALREADY BE A WINNER” letter Publishers Clearing House sent her (and everybody else in the USA), because she was afraid the garbage men would see the envelope in her trash and try to extort the winnings from her.

I tried to tell her that:

1. The garbage men don’t have time to read the contents of your garbage can, and
2. The garbage men got that letter, too.

I was never able to allay her fear, though.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t you set up some sort of trust to distribute the $2,500 per week among 25 relatives for as long as a certain person lives?
Who wouldn’t want to get $100 every week?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Simple - don't tell anyone you won.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:

I spite all my Cadre Cola on the screen!

Yeeeeeeeeesssssssss!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I decided long ago that in the unlikely event I ever won a substantial amount of money, we would tell NO ONE. Especially family.

I occasionally dabble in the big lottery when the amounts reach stratospheric levels. If I did somehow hit it, I would give all the family money anonymously and claim to have gotten the same, thereby keeping the winner a secret.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
My grandmother used scissors to cut in little pieces the “YOU MAY ALREADY BE A WINNER” letter Publishers Clearing House sent her (and everybody else in the USA), because she was afraid the garbage men would see the envelope in her trash and try to extort the winnings from her.

1. The garbage men don’t have time to read the contents of your garbage can, and

How do you know they were actual garbage men and not undercover IRS/CIA/FBI types looking to ensnare her into some devious plot to help take over the country? You know how sneaky those guys are.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't buy the premise that being born into money makes a person useless. Parents determine the outcome of their kids, not the value of their portfolio.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

In my opinion? No. There can't be so much money in magazine subscriptions that they can afford those kinds of payouts.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

<sigh> I am married to a person that thinks and functions to that extreme. Sad, but utterly unchangeable...

Blame the media. If it's not sharks, Russians, global warming, West Nile Virus, or "the google", someone is always going through your trash to steal your identity or ripping it out of your mailbox. I have to unfortunately deal with someone who will not use the mailbox for outgoing mail for this reason, and must be home to get the mail when it comes because it can't sit in the box long.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PCH is getting cheap. Used to be 5000 a week with occasional contest jumps to 7000. Before you go making the grandson your alternate, better ask the wife how she’ll feel after you croak and she gets nothing while grandson gets it all. Know how that’d go over at my house!

Posts: 1224 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
PCH is getting cheap. Used to be 5000 a week with occasional contest jumps to 7000. Before you go making the grandson your alternate, better ask the wife how she’ll feel after you croak and she gets nothing while grandson gets it all. Know how that’d go over at my house!

If you're tired of living and ready to be murdered, then yes, designate your wife.

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I could handle thinking about the person I picked wishing for my death everyday.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post