SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking advise on security camera systems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advise on security camera systems Login/Join 
posted
I am having a new storage/workshop and want to add a camera system for it and the surrounding area.

I don't know a lot about them, but was considering this kit from Costco.

Q-see 4K setup

I like the idea of having 4K cameras for better resolution. I've seen too many news reports showing camera footage that is total garbage. Hoping 4K setup would produce a better result.

Anyone have opinions or experience with a setup like this?

Thank you.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posts: 309 | Location: Clackamas, OR | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hoping 4K setup would produce a better result.

There is much, much more to security cameras than pixel count aka 4K.
Not saying this system is bad (for 2K it shouldn't be).
Too much information to discuss without more perimeters.
There have been a plethora of threads on this subject.
Maybe cruise those first then come back with a more defined objective.
Good Luck

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wow, that kit has a lot of cameras.

I have 5 IP cameras and software called Blue Iris. I'm happy with it, but this type of do-it-yourself solution requires some constant tinkering, which I'm okay with.

outdoor is different from indoor
night vision is different than well lit
faces and license plates require special care
don't mount the cams too high
in general placement is key
e-mail and text alerts require lots of tinkering to get right, or else you will either get a ton of false alerts or you will miss real alerts.
YMMV on whether to do coax+power, or cat-5 cable. I went the cat-5 route and I would do this again -- but again, not for everyone.

My cams range from very poor to very good. Very good is totally worth the extra $$$. Don't bother with cheap crap.

that said, I know nothing about the costco kit you mentioned

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post