SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Those e-bikes I assembled and good relationship I built with my local bike shop landed me a job! I got one of my coworkers HOOKED on modified e-bikes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those e-bikes I assembled and good relationship I built with my local bike shop landed me a job! I got one of my coworkers HOOKED on modified e-bikes Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I am a regular at my local bike shop and over the years have built an excellent relationship with the employees and the owner.

One time an employee who I really like was ringing up some items I special ordered and already paid for that were for one of my bike builds. I tossed a Maxxis 29er tire on the counter ($80 tire). He assumed I had already paid for it but I corrected him and said “you need to ring me up for this Maxxis” which he incorrectly assumed was part of my parts order.

The owner of this shop immediately looked up at me and smiled. The employee, who has sold me multiple bikes was thankful I was an honest person.

I think that experience and the two electric bike builds that my LBS consulted on and trued the wheel/spokes while listing to me explain how fast it would be were a big reason I got this job.

The owner and a few employees test rode my two e-bike builds and were shocked at how fast they are. The owner called it “more of a motorcycle than a bicycle”.

Earlier this year when I was nearing completion on my second ebike build the owner said something like “hey you’re here all the time, have you thought about working here?” I told him once my youngest daughter was in school I’d take him up on his offer.

I have four kids and a wife who works ungodly hours so I’ve been enjoying the stay at home dad life. Working customer service, collections and system development for Capital One 100% burned me out and then some.

I decided last week to see if the offer was still on the table with my LBS. They are going into the slow season so I didn’t expect to get a yes. I expected to hear something like “oh cool we’re slow right now so check back with us early next year”. To my absolute shock the owner was genuinely amped that I was finally taking him up on the job offer from months ago.

I’ll be starting part time at a bike shop next week. That employee discount will be nice. It appears the owner wants me to be their e-bike mechanic. That is a segment that is going to explode as more people discover the incredible fun and range that electric bicycles provide.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Cool man! Karma... Big Grin You deserve it!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Working doing something you love doesn't come along very often.

Congrats, Stick! Enjoy!

Maybe you could also get a part time gig in a watch store! Cool

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38726 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Excellent, a job that fits your hobby/love is rare to find. Don't spend the paycheck at the company store though.... Big Grin

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3072 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What bike would you recommend?

Posts: 75 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Wonderful!!! You get a paying job doing what you like to do!

Perfect combo!!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoatsNbullets:
What bike would you recommend?

Depends on the kind of riding you plan on doing.

The gearless, brushless hub drive e-bikes I built excel on and off road.

Are you looking for an e-bike or a regular bike? If regular (pedal) the next question would be whether you will be primarily street or trail riding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So nice!

P229

Posts: 3848 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Nice job Big Grin

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous. I have spent a lot of time in Bike shops over the years. From my first bike shop experience in Alamogordo New Mexico at a shop named Outdoor Adventures to a hundred other bike shops. Definitely a dream job for me. Nicely done!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Excellent, a job that fits your hobby/love is rare to find. Don't spend the paycheck at the company store though.... Big Grin

Ha! So true!! This is why I decided not to work at my local gun shop part time. The staff is just as fun as at my LBS but I know I’d blow every paycheck on the beautiful guns that line the walls of that shop. Big Grin

I have a fairly massive mountain bike collection and just received a neat Marin chromoly bike frame in the mail last week for my upcoming third e-bike build. I think I’ll be able to resist the urge to buy any more bikes for a good long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Dude, all of your collections are 'Fairly Massive'...Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8961 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

He's right, man! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well…uhh my car collection is pretty tame at the moment. Wink

Almost pulled the trigger on a del sol recently. The Integra is lonely in a garage full of motos and mountain bikes. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Honest, and smart employees, are difficult to find. Treasure them when you find them in any industry, which your boss does. You're a keeper, and it appears that your boss is as well. I look forward to seeing what this collaboration winds up putting out there.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Congrats! What town is the bike shop in? I live in NC.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Congrats! What town is the bike shop in? I live in NC.

If you’re ever near Winston Salem shoot me an email. Smile The bike shop is located in Clemmons NC which is about 15 minutes away from Winston Salem.

We are near a HUGE MTB park so if you’ve ever wondered what a high performance electric bike rides like I can help you with that. The trails near the shop are super mild but we’re only about 25 minutes from some black diamond trails that are wild. Wink (everyone who rides one of my home brew builds LOVES them, even my anti motorcycle friends! My aunt ended up buying an ebike because of how much she loved riding one of my builds) Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
** upate**.

I worked my first shift today. It was pretty awesome. I cannot believe how fast the shift flew by.

I got to trouble shoot one e-bike, talk to customers who were considering buying e-bikes and I assembled an e-bike today. We sold two e-bikes today and I got to help a little with the sale so that was neat. Big Grin

My first day FLEW BY!! The shop is open 4 hours on Saturdays and I was there for all four but it really only felt like about an hour. Cool

I am LOVING this job!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

I am LOVING this job!

Excellent! Cool

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Well…uhh my car collection is pretty tame at the moment. Wink

Yeah... because you didn't buy that big ol' Cadillac! Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post