SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PG&E to file bankruptcy over Camp Fire

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
PG&E to file bankruptcy over Camp Fire Login/Join 
posted
The California death spiral continues as PG&E prepares to file bankruptcy as a result of the Camp Fire in California. The cost of living in California will continue to skyrocket in no small part but I don’t know how this will all play out. Pension holders could get screwed.

I just picked the first Google link that came up.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...ruptcy-idUSKCN1P815B

Welcome to your new job Gov. Newsome. L

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
It seems as though this could be a major hit for bond holders

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So...... in September of 2017 the PGE stock price was $70. Today it is $8.

This would be a good time to buy, no?

Posts: 6458 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I recognized the name PG&E. It's the same company that Erin Brokovich was instrumental in building the case against in 1993. They were discharging hexavalent chromium into unlined ponds some of which eventually got into the water supply. The case was settled for $333 million. Makes you wonder what that case would be settled for today.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

No, but September 2017 would have been a great time to short. Wink

Being serious, no time is a great time to short anything unless you are both a) in the securities business and b) are playing with someone else's money.

Posts: 15156 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
They think their equipment might have caused that Camp Fire fire? If true, their liability would be huge.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So, today PGE is turning off the electricity in much of California due to wildfire hazards.

I just saw on Fox Business that Elon Musk is promising to install big batteries at the Tesla supercharging stations, in just a few weeks. They are awaiting approval, he says.

Of course, they can't pump gas (at $4.29 a gallon) for real cars either.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Article is from January 2019

In June it was announced executive bonuses in excess of 11 mil to be paid out. Bankruptcy judge was supposed to decide if it could go through in July. I’ve not heard if that was approved or not

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Report This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mholmes:
...The case was settled for $333 million. Makes you wonder what that case would be settled for today.

According to the CPI inflation calculator, $333 mil in 1993 is $600 mil today. Lotta money.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

Compared to September of 2017, Absolutely! Unfortunately, tomorrow might be an even better day than today, and it might keep getting “even better” from there...

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post