SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National Geographic article on sleep
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Geographic article on sleep Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.nationalgeographic...08/science-of-sleep/

While We Sleep, Our Mind Goes on an Amazing Journey

Nearly every night of our lives, we undergo a startling metamorphosis.

Our brain profoundly alters its behavior and purpose, dimming our consciousness. For a while, we become almost entirely paralyzed.

We can’t even shiver. Our eyes, however, periodically dart about behind closed lids as if seeing, and the tiny muscles in our middle ear, even in silence, move as though hearing. We are sexually stimulated, men and women both, repeatedly. We sometimes believe we can fly. We approach the frontiers of death. We sleep.

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

I feel like I never get to stages 3 and 4 or REM.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I've always had problems sleeping, I've had many, many, sleep studies. I go thru stages 1 & 2 normally then go almost directly to REM, skipping stages 3 & 4, then wake up and start all over again.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post