SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Previous president security detail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Previous president security detail Login/Join 
posted
Would that be the sweet job to have ?
Or not so much?

Are geezers wandering around a delight ? Or a p.i.t.a. ?

Do body guards want that job or fight bite a scratch to get out of it?

I wonder.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’d say it depends on the president; I imagine being on Trumps security detail would be pretty enjoyable whereas dealing with either the elitist leftists like Obama, Clintons or Bidens would be an outright insufferable by comparison.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I know two former Presidental Security Detail guys, one of whom was on one of their counter sniper teams.

Both didn’t say much about the job, other than it is as demanding a job as any special team is (one was former SF).

Oh, and Hillary was an absolute bitch to be around.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31481 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a retired Operative that had said the SS guys said the Clinton and Obama administrations were disgusting to work for. The Bushs treated them like family..

Posts: 450 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I imagine it being a lot of long hours, high stress, etc. But it's also likely one of those details highly sought after and could definitely make your name known for promotions and other opportunities. Put up with the president for 2-3 years to advance your career in the long run.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Have you not seen “Guarding Tess” w/ Nick Cage and Shirley MacLaine?

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read several books by retired SS agents. Invariably, they love the Republican presidents and have little good to say about the Democrats. Can you imagining what Biden's detail must be witnessing on a daily basis?

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I’d say it depends on the president; I imagine being on Trumps security detail would be pretty enjoyable whereas dealing with either the elitist leftists like Obama, Clintons or Bidens would be an outright insufferable by comparison.
You forgot to include the Bushes in your list. Just sayin'...

I'd have to bet these elitists are a pain in the anal sphincter with whom to deal and work. They FEAST on power...are drunk with it, in fact...and think they can't be told no, so I would assume some poor bottom-of-the-rung schlub has to cater to their EVERY whim, need, and want. "I'll get to that later for you" is NOT an acceptable answer.

IMHO, about the ONLY redeemable person amongst the cabal now is Laura Bush, whom I've heard was ALWAYS a gentlewoman and a pleasure to be around. Again, IMHO, I think "Dubyuh" has converted to pure assholiness in his later years because he's been hanging with the Clintons and Obamas for too f---ing long.

Again...just speculating.

quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Can you imagining what Biden's detail must be witnessing on a daily basis?
That conjures up images of some poor SOB having to change pResident Sniffs-a-Lot's diaper. 'Cuz you KNOW Jill ain't gonna do it!!! JSMH...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe it...
But I do know her former pilot (Air Force 2). He said she was always polite to him.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall a story about Ron Reagan taking coffee and crumpets personally to the guys on outposts at his ranch. We sure could use another guy like him for 8 years

Posts: 3298 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:

I personally know a guy who worked for both father and son Bush.

He loved them. EOD guy who said to me, "I would storm the gates of hell for either one of them, they just have to ask."

He related one Christmas Eve in Kennybunkport when they were guarding the family over the holiday, and were hanging out in the guard shack on the causeway to the house. There was knock at the door, and Barbara was standing there with two hot pots of coffee, and George senior was there with a plate of sandwiches. They came into the guard shack, thanked everyone for giving up their Christmas at home, and then hung out and talked for about half an hour.

He said guarding them was great duty.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having worked with the USSS for a while-
PPD (Presidential Protective Detail), this includes Vice Pres and former Presidents isn't that bad of a job... depending.

PPD guys are easy to spot: Armani Suits and Rolex Submariners. The "Depending" is on the President. Reagan and family, Bush 1 and 2 and family were supposed to be great to work for. George H's daughters were supposed to be hell on wheels to watch. Who'd want to babysit teenage / early 20's girls? More than one horror story from the people on their detail.

There was a standing order from Nancy Reagan that there were to be NO married agents working on the holidays, they were to be home with their families. More than one story about Ms Reagan hand carrying food to agents and Marines standing post on Christmas. Clintons and Droolin Joe, the Ho, no one has much good to say about them. Haven't heard much from guys on DJT's detail. obama- only if you were black.

I hope you like traveling, because they are always on the move, doing advanced or the actual detail. They go where he goes. Schedules change all the time, and not much of a "home life" for those guys. The actual PPD guys are doing the close protective detail, "Nicky-the-new-guy" from the Topeka office is watching the back door to the alley in January, freezing his ass off.

IIRC, every USSS Agent has to spend at least 6 or 8 years of their career on one of the Protective Details (Current, Vice, or Former) for promotion purposes.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Air Force I met the head of Reagan's detail. He said Nancy treated them well and always ensured they were taken care of.

He also said it's a young man's game (and bad on marriages) being on a current Presidents detail. That guy had the best stories, I met him in EOD school.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES. the USSS job had it's good days, and some VERY
bad days. The only two times I fired my revolver at someone was during counterfeiting arrest situations (both during early 60's at Cleveland, OH
f/o). Protection times did involve much travel, and included protectees from JFK through President
Reagan. Retirement in l988 was outstanding, and my
wife toughed it out through my Army time plus my
USSS career. No comment here re: favorite protectees.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew several guys who were Presidents Fords' detail.
They moved from Vail to Rancho Cucamonga and to Michigan whenever he decided to go. He enjoyed his free time, even took me skiing on my Bday when Beaver Creek opened. Nice guy and I miss our talks.
It was a great gig for them, they said that the guys on Carters' detail hated it, he'd fly off to every 3rd World Shithole and they never got a break, planning and being heavily armed up while concealed and trying to be incognito wasn't in the cards.

Posts: 369 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with many SS agents at my workplace in the 90s. Several told me the primo assignment at the time was with Lady Bird's detail. I was told that, at least several times a year, she would ask where they wanted to go and she would book a vacation there. Others told me the Clinton's and Gore's were horrendous to work with and absolute potty mouths when they knew exactly who was around such as on planes.

I've noticed over the years that Republican Presidents seem to plan thier Christmas vacation taking into account thier details and remaining at the WH or even Camp David where fewer agents are required to be away from thier families because both sites are secured 24/7 anyway. Democrat Presidents not so much. Obama went to Hawai'i every year requiring a much larger USSS entourage. Not to mention the huge contingent of support personnel.

Many agents acknowledged that people think it's a cool job but they all said unless you're on the Presidential detail it's quite boring. One gave a example of standing in a hotel hallway for hours on end watching a door. Another said that during a Clinton campaign he was doing a whistle stop tour via train. The agent was posted in the middle of nowhere for hours monitoring railroad track until the train came through.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Another said that during a Clinton campaign he was doing a whistle stop tour via train. The agent was posted in the middle of nowhere for hours monitoring railroad track until the train came through.

When I first started and was in uniform our jurisdiction straddled an interstate that was the main route to the airport used by dignitaries. There was an overpass that the advance party would clear, and then one of us locals would have to sit on it until the motorcade passed, whenever that might happen. We'd be there for hours, most boring work ever.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

I've heard that before before.

A very good friend is USSS. I've heard a few stories but mostly after they have left office.
Trump's family was a pleasant relief after dealing with his predecessor.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

He loved them. EOD guy who said to me, "I would storm the gates of hell for either one of them, they just have to ask."

He related one Christmas Eve in Kennybunkport when they were guarding the family over the holiday, and were hanging out in the guard shack on the causeway to the house. There was knock at the door, and Barbara was standing there with two hot pots of coffee, and George senior was there with a plate of sandwiches. They came into the guard shack, thanked everyone for giving up their Christmas at home, and then hung out and talked for about half an hour.

During that time period (early 90s) my son was in the US Coast Guard and his patrol vessel was tasked with inshore security around the Kennebunkport property. The Bush family regularly hosted lunches for the Secret Service, USCG personnel, and others involved in keeping their vacation home secure. I have a photo of my baby granddaughter sitting on a couch between George and Barbara Bush (shoving something into her mouth, of course).

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

I would agree with your buddy WHEN THEY WERE PRESIDENT. But I'm talking about NOW, ArtieS. Now, being since the Bushes have sold their souls to the Devil and are rubbing elbows with the Onumb-nutzes and Clintons.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post